Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU at Lindenwood

Not going to dive into this too much, but this is going to be a very tough test for Lindenwood. Jed Stugart certainly didn't shy away from loading up on a tough out of conference schedule with the move to the GLVC.

MSU's win over FCS Northeastern suggests this may be an even more daunting task than originally thought.
    Cool Story Bro

Just looking at stats, I hope the Back end of the Elwood D ate their wheaties.

Comment

Preview posted with game notes.

https://lindenwoodlions.com/news/201...-saturday.aspx

I mentioned this in my preview, but it looks like MSU caught lightning in a bottle AGAIN after the graduation of super star QB Layton Rabb. Zach Purcell basically put up Rabb type numbers against an FCS opponent in his first start.

That's worrisome for a defense that gave up over 700 yards of offense last week. Albeit, the EWU offense is no doubt better than anything D2 has to offer.

I think LU is going to have to outscore MSU to win. That'll be a tough task considering MSU shut down the Northwestern offense last week. I think Brister has taken a big leap in development this year though. I saw pretty good decision making and great ball placement last week to give his receivers a chance. I also think the weapons around him have gotten better. Henneman is a known commodity and pretty much un guardable one on one. But the development of Rose, Jackson, and Johnson should have Lions fans excited!

I did pick LU to win this game. Despite last week's results, I think the fact that LU played one of the best FCS teams in the country after travelling literally across the country, AND played well after getting put in a big whole tells me a whole lot more about their make up than MSU driving 6 hours and beating the snot out of a mediocre FCS team.

I could be, and probably am WAY off... I've never been accused of be completely objective when it comes to LU football. I'll be honest about it though :)
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

I mentioned this in my preview, but it looks like MSU caught lightning in a bottle AGAIN after the graduation of super star QB Layton Rabb. Zach Purcell basically put up Rabb type numbers against an FCS opponent in his first start.

That's worrisome for a defense that gave up over 700 yards of offense last week. Albeit, the EWU offense is no doubt better than anything D2 has to offer.

I think LU is going to have to outscore MSU to win. That'll be a tough task considering MSU shut down the Northwestern offense last week. I think Brister has taken a big leap in development this year though. I saw pretty good decision making and great ball placement last week to give his receivers a chance. I also think the weapons around him have gotten better. Henneman is a known commodity and pretty much un guardable one on one. But the development of Rose, Jackson, and Johnson should have Lions fans excited!

I did pick LU to win this game. Despite last week's results, I think the fact that LU played one of the best FCS teams in the country after travelling literally across the country, AND played well after getting put in a big whole tells me a whole lot more about their make up than MSU driving 6 hours and beating the snot out of a mediocre FCS team.

I could be, and probably am WAY off... I've never been accused of be completely objective when it comes to LU football. I'll be honest about it though :)
        Wt gets to see MSU every year. They are always a hard team to beat. IMHO Purcell is an up-grade from Rabb. I have friends that tell me Purcell is the real deal. If MSU executes well, they will be hard to beat. In the past, they have been undisciplined. Tend to overreact to bad breaks. MSU will air it out. If the game becomes a shoot-out MSU will win. If LU can run the ball they have a chance. MSU +10.
        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

MSU's defense was the real story last week. I think they are overlooked due to past seasons. This is still a young defense but they were impressive last week. I am still unsure of Purcell, the 3 scrimmages I saw him in he struggled against the scouts and the regular defense. Maybe that is a sign of just how good our D is/could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post

MSU's defense was the real story last week. I think they are overlooked due to past seasons. This is still a young defense but they were impressive last week. I am still unsure of Purcell, the 3 scrimmages I saw him in he struggled against the scouts and the regular defense. Maybe that is a sign of just how good our D is/could be.
            The MSU will get a test this week. Brister is one of the best quarterbacks to come through St .Charles in a while, and set up to leave the school at the top of the record book. The Jury is still out on the Lion running game. They found themselves down so quickly last week, there really wasn't an opportunity to get it going. If the LU is going to win, they will have to find a way to move the ball on the ground. Sounds like it's going to be a tall order. LU's offensive line is talented, but they're young.

They are running a new defensive scheme, and were without Darius Williams, one of their leaders in the secondary last week. EWU also rolled out an all senior offensive line, which is generally always a recipe for success. The Lions defense was up against it last week. It was pretty much a perfect storm. They have a tough test again this week, but I'd expect a better showing.
            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Coach Maskill has been doing this for nearly 2 decades, in his time at MSU I don't think they have had a losing season. He does not get enough credit, he is one of the best coaches in the country at any level, if he stays at it he will be up there in total wins his record as a head coach in 17 seasons is 150-57. MSU is not one of the biggest spenders like Tarleton, ASU, WT, or Commerce in the Lone Star. His Program is fully funded 36 schollies but he plays in a public school stadium with no real facility upgrades etc in the time he has been there.

I sincerely dislike the man but i respect the heck out of his coaching ability. 84-24 in the last 10 years. If he keeps that up for 10 more years.... thats nearly 250 wins at one school....HOF worthy if you ask me.
              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X