Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBU Offseason thread!!!

Anyone want to chat about some SBU football???

SBU offseason

Record 0-10
    8th place

TEAM STATS

Scoring offense 16 ppg (7th)
    Scoring defense 38 ppg (8th)

Total Offense 291 ypg (6th)
    Rushing offense 134 ypg (6th)
    Passing offense 157 ypg (5th)

Total Defense 446 ypg (7th)
    Rushing defense 273 ypg (8th)
    Passing defense 174 (2th)

INDIVIDUAL STATS

Passing Leader
    Bryse Salik (FR) - 53% completion, 1207 yards, 8 TD, 10 INT

Rushing Leaders
    Eric Knight (FR) - 768 yds, 8 TDs

Receiving LeadersTackles
    Tyler Curts (SR) 102

TFLSacksInterceptions
    Tyler Curts (SR) 1
    Tevin Hall (JR) 1
    Uwadia Ogbebor (JR) 1

Key Personnel Losses
    Brayden Byrd- OL*
    Dominique Lee- RB
    Ryan Becker- OL*
    Tyler Curts- LB*

*-All Conference Selection

Looking Ahead

9 offensive returners
    10 defensive returners

88% of Rushing yard production returning
    91% of Receiving yard production returning

Key ReturnersEarly Signings
    Last edited by bigsig50; 12-23-2018, 08:56 PM.
    Cool Story Bro

Re: SBU Offseason thread!!!

I have to admit, I was floored when I peeked over at the GLVC standings earlier this year and saw SBU struggling like this. 2 years removed from a playoff berth?! I haven't watched any SBU games, but looking at the statistics, it's hard to see where things went right for the Bearcats in 2018. Even the 2nd ranked passing defense is misleading in that teams won't pass much when 1) they have the lead, and 2) they can run to the tune of nearly 300 yds per game.

The good news is that they have plenty of experience coming back. Tyler Curts was far and away their best defender last year, but they return a pair of productive D-linemen in Tone and Momah and a solid defensive front is always a nice foundation to have when trying to rebuild. On offense, we can probably expect that Eric Knight will increase his work load considering the success he had in his Freshman season. They will need to improve in QB play however if they want to put up points like they did in 2016. Whether that means development of Salik or looking elsewhere is to be seen. I will say from personal knowledge that SBU has a very capable QB coach and OC in Phil Staback. If Salik does again get the call in 2019, I would look for him to take a step forward.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

SBU picked up some help in the passing game.

Cali Juco product Curtis Cuillard. A 6'3" WR.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/9538452/Curtis-Cuillard

Looking at highlights....

Pretty good concentration and ability to catch contested throws. High points the ball pretty well. Crisp route running that allows him to burn undisciplined DBs. Should help immediately.
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

SBU got a commit from 6'4", 305lbs OL, Justin Miller out of Reeds Spring, MO

http://a.hudl.com/profile/5561073/Justin-Miller

Very good athlete for his size. Several examples of him getting down field to make extra blocks or getting out in front on the screen play. Surprising top gear for a guy his size. As one would expect with a guy like this, he gets to the 2nd level very well. Finishes blocks very well. Great first step, generally got the jump on his opponent. Might need to work on hand positioning, as he'd get called for holding a lot more at the college level doing some of the things I saw in the highlights. Didn't see a lot of pass protection, mostly run blocking highlights. Could be a result of the offensive schemed. SBU likes to sling it around, so interesting to see what that part of his game looks like.
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Updates on SBU commits...

Kayvon Anderson

Collierville High School
          Positions: WR, TE
          Height & Weight: 6'3" 202lbs

http://www.hudl.com/profile/8150688/Kayvon-Anderson

Played a Eric Heneman type WR/TE hybrid that seems to be the en vogue thing to do right now. Very good size for a WR but not sure he has the pure speed to play the position at the college level. Might need to spend some time to bulk up to play TE. Not an over powering blocker, but effective and persistent and will finish his opponent off if he gains leverage. Good enough athlete to present match up problems because of his ability to high point the ball and catch in traffic. Would expect for him to develop into a very nice player and be a problem for GLVC defense in years to come.

Demonte Morris

Southwestern College
          Positions: QB
          Height & Weight: 6'2" 180lbs

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4464775/Demonte-Morris

St. Louis product comming back home to MO to finish his education. His highlights look show that he has a very strong arm and pretty nice deep ball. Moved in the pocket pretty well and kept his eyes down field. I'd be interested to watch game film though to see how often he bailed early on his progressions. He had decent athleticism, but isn't going to win games with his feet. He needs to learn to tuck the ball when he decides to run; holds it out like a loaf of bread when evading the rushers.

I took a look at his numbers and saw that he had a bit of a sophomore slump at Southwestern college. Interested to know what happened there.

Given the current SBU QB situation, I imagine he'll get to compete for the starting spot right away.

Dennis Cheairs

Wooddale High School
          Positions: DE, TE
          Height & Weight: 6'2" 220lbs

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8154706/Dennis-Cheairs

Most highlights are at DE/DL. Will likely need to bulk up a bit to play in college but at 6'2" he has a nice frame and seems to have the athleticism to play the position. Developmental player most likely. Showed some promise with ability to evade blockers on pass rush. Looked like he played the run fundamentally well.

Logan Claborn

Rockwall High School
          Positions: WR, P
          Height & Weight: 6'2" 175lbs

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5635716/Logan-Claborn

Looks like he played a little QB, WR, and punter last 2 years of HS. He's an all-state punter, and those highlights are pinned in his twitter so I suspect that's what he'll do in college. Rugby style punter. His highlights show really strong leg and ability to spot the ball. Decent hangtime as well. The guy might be a good enough athlete to help out at WR if he wanted to eventually.

Chad Partee

Lausanne Collegiate High School
          Positions: WR
          Height & Weight: 6'2" 190lbs

http://ww.hudl.com/profile/5079055/Chad-Partee

Bigger physical receiver, kind of reminded me of Kayvon Anderson. Guessing SBU has a thing for WR/TE in that mold. Most definitely a possession type receiver, not sure he'll out run anyone. Catches the ball away from his body, and was a load to bring down in the open field. Effective down field blocker. High pointed the ball pretty well, and routes seemed pretty good. Will pair up nicely with Anderson in a couple of years and give opposing defenses problems.
          Cool Story Bro

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X