UIndy 2-2
    Lindenwood 2-2
    MOS&T 2-2
    QU 2-2
    SBU 1-3
    Mckendree 1-3
    Jewell 0-4

Quick thoughts on each team...

Truman- Most complete team and most consistent performances so far this year. Comeback victory today was impressive and showed grit and mental toughness.

UIndy- A fumble at the 1 yard line denied the game winning score today. 2-2 looks so different than 3-1 No offense to ODU, but a team ranked 15th in preseason shouldn't have let it get that far. UIndy should be fine, but will run into issues with teams that manage to slow down Clinton. They miss their receiving corpse from 2019 and this past spring.

Lindenwood- opposite results from UIndy with 2 losses followed by 2 wins. Hardest schedule of the year in the conference. Good news for Lions is that they seem to be improving on things each week, and have sustained that improvement.

MOS&T- I wish I could've seen today's game, but there were issues with the feed. Seems Hillsdale was able to control the ball well, limiting the Miners potent offense. They held S&T to 0/8 on 3rd down. Considering they still managed to scored 31 points is amazing. S&T will be dangerous no matter who they face. Their skill position talent is enough to win games no doubt.

QU- Mixed bag so far, but not great results when facing tougher competition. I still believe the hawks have some talent and look forward to seeing how they match up in conference.

SBU- Bearcats have had a really tough OOC schedule, so the 1-3 record might be a bit misleading. Callis is an early favorite for OPOY. He has a dynamic receiving corpse and has been fun to watch. They'll have to improve defensively to be competitive consistently

Mckendree- Mckendree seems to be leaning more in a run heavy approach which might be a wise approach. They need to find a way to limit mistakes. They could possibly be 3-1 right now if they played clean ball.

Jewell- Cards have a long way to go. There are signs of improvement here and there. If they could get a consistent running game, it would go a long way in covering up some defensive flaws.
    Last edited by Bryon Ramos; 09-26-2021, 05:45 AM.

BTW, I ended my OOC portion predictions at 20-12.... not sure what to make of that, but if you want to fire me I understand lol

Comment

Correction, you were 7-8 against GMAC, week three Ashland was off and S&T beat Wayne St of GLIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
        Correction, you were 7-8 against GMAC, week three Ashland was off and S&T beat Wayne St of GLIAC.
        I don't follow. Ashland only faced off against 1 GLVC opponent, but Hillsdale played Truman, UIndy, and S&T.

GLVC teams beat WSU 2x, and Davenport and lost to Northern Michigan.

Comment

Comment

Nice to go 3-1 vs GLIAC. Even Steven with the GMAC and U Indy didn't do their part. We'll see if U Indy has enough left to cause headaches for Truman and Lindy in conference play.

Thinking U Indy will change their systems to what they have left as far a personnel. It's great to have a center that can pull (and I see he was an Indiana Top 50) but that seems to just plug things up for Clinton on the outside. Also need to start rolling out the QB and take chances rather than staying in the pocket. WRs don't get open like Matio and Bell plus Topper made grabs whether open or not. And don't know what to say about the DL guys out and young DBs. I see DL Bryce Edwards is on his way back so that's encouraging. I'm assuming seniors Klem and #99 Dennison are done?

Comment

Something interesting I noticed last night as I was doing some work for my article this week....

Not necessarily a great thing for the conference, but currently there are only 2 GLVC teams that have more than 1 win against D2 opponents. UIndy, MOS&T, and Quincy (2-2) all have wins vs. an NAIA opponent.

Lindenwood has beaten KWU and UF (both D2)
              Truman has won all 4 of their games (all D2 opponents)

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                Nice to go 3-1 vs GLIAC. Even Steven with the GMAC and U Indy didn't do their part. We'll see if U Indy has enough left to cause headaches for Truman and Lindy in conference play.

Thinking U Indy will change their systems to what they have left as far a personnel. It's great to have a center that can pull (and I see he was an Indiana Top 50) but that seems to just plug things up for Clinton on the outside. Also need to start rolling out the QB and take chances rather than staying in the pocket. WRs don't get open like Matio and Bell plus Topper made grabs whether open or not. And don't know what to say about the DL guys out and young DBs. I see DL Bryce Edwards is on his way back so that's encouraging. I'm assuming seniors Klem and #99 Dennison are done?
                DLs Klem and Edwards working their way back. But looks like the DT starter Dennison is done.

Comment

Bryon - Don't know what might have been wrong with the feed from the Hillsdale vs MOS&T game. Hillsdale's Webcasters reported having viewers from around the globe and nobody had a problem receiving the on-line broadcast. You missed an interesting contest. The Chargers began that game with an 0-3 record and one would think that Hillsdale had a lousy team. Just took a while to get it going with a lot of new faces, and they finished the game with the 3rd string QB. Number one and two were both out with injuries. And number three also knocked off Tiffin U. at Tiffin, who was supposed to be the GMAC monster this season. The Dragons are dragging. Indy and Truman, two of the first teams Hillsdale played, are really good teams but did not really roll over the Chargers to get a win. Hillsdale won't be in the National Championship game, but they are competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleDude View Post
                    Bryon - Don't know what might have been wrong with the feed from the Hillsdale vs MOS&T game. Hillsdale's Webcasters reported having viewers from around the globe and nobody had a problem receiving the on-line broadcast. You missed an interesting contest. The Chargers began that game with an 0-3 record and one would think that Hillsdale had a lousy team. Just took a while to get it going with a lot of new faces, and they finished the game with the 3rd string QB. Number one and two were both out with injuries. And number three also knocked off Tiffin U. at Tiffin, who was supposed to be the GMAC monster this season. The Dragons are dragging. Indy and Truman, two of the first teams Hillsdale played, are really good teams but did not really roll over the Chargers to get a win. Hillsdale won't be in the National Championship game, but they are competitive.
                    Yeah, the feed just never started for me. It did for all of the rest of the GMAC broadcasts. Who knows.

From an outside perspective, Hillsdale was tough to put a finger on. Against two of the top teams in the GLVC, they ended up behind by multiple scores pretty late in the game, until a bunch of scores pulled them within a single score before the end of the game. They started that same pattern vs. the Miners, being down 24-10 in the 2nd quarter. But against them they flipped the switch a little earlier and were able to pull out the win.

Then against Tiffin, they put their best game of the season together.

Not sure what to make of that. I'm sure their coaches are preaching about starting fast in games.

Comment

Excellent assessment of the Chargers, Bryon. Seems that for the past several years Hillsdale has not started "fast" in games, but usually have a strong second half. About the same this year. Great coaching staff. Head Coach Keith Otterbein is now in the middle of his 20th season. He's an alum (played linebacker for Hillsdale), and had the head coaching job at Ferris State prior to Hillsdale. He did a brief stint at D1 Ball State, but not in the head coaching position. His O and D Coordinators both have 21 years at Hillsdale. The Offensive Coordinator, Nate Sheffler, played on the line for the Chargers. The Defensive Coordinator, Craig Blanchard, played at Grand Valley State. Walsh visit's Frank "Muddy" Waters Stadium this Saturday where they haven't had much luck in recent years. I expect Hillsdale to be 3-3 after that game, 2-0 in the GMAC.

Comment

Speaking of Hillsdale (and sorry to say it but) this is the perfect time for UIndy to make the GMAC move. Play Hillsdale every year. GMAC getting more competitive and now with Ashland a better football conference. We could have won Ohio Dominion and Tiffin but they showed us we're beatable without more depth. With the crossover games still a chance to play Truman and/or Lindenwood often if not regularly. Also Southern Indiana talking a D1 move now with Stan the Man getting beat by Truman and UIndy basketball. And GLVC not the same since St Joe left. One reason to stay GLVC is for Bryon's write ups.

Season just getting started. UIndy young DBs getting more games in them and getting a little healthier on the DL. Offense had a 20 yd/carry guy and a 5 touches 4 touchdowns guy vs Southwest Baptist. A lot of football left yet.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X