Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any insight into Northeastern turnover

Glutton for punishment I guess but I went through NESU roster from 2017 and they had 83 players that had eligibility (FR. rFR, SO, JR) to play this year. 40 of them are not on this year's roster which means the turnover, not counting graduated seniors for NESU was 48%, so let's just say half the roster is gone.
    They return less than 20% of rushing yards (actually they return negative rushing yards if you count loss yardage on sacks), receiving yards, tackles and sacks

I know they where/are a bad team and the MIAA is a tough conference to cut your teeth but man something else had to have happened. The coaches have been there 4 years, it seems kind of weird for them at this juncture to scrap it and rebuild.

Re: Any insight into Northeastern turnover

wow. That's crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
      Glutton for punishment I guess but I went through NESU roster from 2017 and they had 83 players that had eligibility (FR. rFR, SO, JR) to play this year. 40 of them are not on this year's roster which means the turnover, not counting graduated seniors for NESU was 48%, so let's just say half the roster is gone.
      They return less than 20% of rushing yards (actually they return negative rushing yards if you count loss yardage on sacks), receiving yards, tackles and sacks

I know they where/are a bad team and the MIAA is a tough conference to cut your teeth but man something else had to have happened. The coaches have been there 4 years, it seems kind of weird for them at this juncture to scrap it and rebuild.
      Players were not the only turnover. The D-Line coach is now at Southern Arkansas. C. J. Shavers went to Southeastern Oklahoma and Nick So'oto went JUCO in California in the spring semester and many other players asked for and were granted their release either in the spring or after the spring semester. The spring game was cancelled because they didn't have enough healthy bodies to put on a proper scrimmage. I believe that many think that the head coach will not be there after this year and decided not to suffer through another season with less than 2 wins.

There still are some great kids there, Caleb Hash, Tucker Edmondson, Cade Yeager, Ukoh, Damarii, JaCory... just to name a few.

I think that the head coach wanted to make some drastic changes and the method he chose did not work out the way he hoped...

There is a lot of other information about NSU and its football program (and athletic programs in general) that could also explain a large exodus of players. I knew it was high, but I didn't expect >40%.

Comment

Dumping schollies for their move back to the naia?

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
          Only the scholarships you play count against you in the naia.
          Cool Story Bro

Comment

No, but if they would have had the buyout money, I'd bet they wouldn't be in the MIAA... The Athletic Director held several meetings with Alums and current supporters to "determine" the best fit for the school conference-wise. My guess is that he couldn't get the money he needed to pull out so he re-affirmed the NSU commitment to the MIAA.

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/s...8206145bf.html
            Last edited by Bytor; 08-24-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I probably have conf tunnel vision, but why would you stay in the MIAA if you were trying to build a football program? Can't speak to how good of a coach Robinson is. But at best, what would a good season be for them 3-4 wins?

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
                I probably have conf tunnel vision, but why would you stay in the MIAA if you were trying to build a football program? Can't speak to how good of a coach Robinson is. But at best, what would a good season be for them 3-4 wins?
                He has six total wins in 4 years, half of those came in year two. NSU would be very happy with 4 wins in the MIAA, but NSU supporters want to win more than they lose. I believe they had the talent to win more, but you cannot ever be sure about that. NSU cannot simply leave the MIAA. They do not have the required funds to leave. So, for now, they are saddled with only being competitive in 1 or 2 games a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                  He has six total wins in 4 years, half of those came in year two. NSU would be very happy with 4 wins in the MIAA, but NSU supporters want to win more than they lose. I believe they had the talent to win more, but you cannot ever be sure about that. NSU cannot simply leave the MIAA. They do not have the required funds to leave. So, for now, they are saddled with only being competitive in 1 or 2 games a year.
                  I don't understand why they are "saddled" with losing. Is the financial disparity so large that they just have no prayer of recruiting?

Comment

Is the GAC even looking for new schools?

Comment

I noticed a Webb city rb left there and walked on at Pitt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                        I don't understand why they are "saddled" with losing. Is the financial disparity so large that they just have no prayer of recruiting?

I guess if they don't have the funds to leave, then they also don't have the necessary funds to stay and make it work. I really wasn't aware they were having those kinds of problems.
                        Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 08-25-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I don't believe the financial issue effects recruiting (see below), but it does affect conference affiliation and coaching decisions. Giving an extension to the existing coach after two dreadful seasons was curious at best, but it appears that the extension would not allow a buyout either (again, no surplus funds). Perhaps this was the AD's original intention to help build a case for leaving the MIAA and getting monetary support to raise the necessary exit fee.

I noticed a Webb city rb left there and walked on at Pitt.
                          As I said before, talent was not the issue. Based on the fact that the kids that left either had offers immediately to play elsewhere or picked a school of their choice and walked on tells you that there is/was a lot of talent at the school. If it was a lack of talent, the 40 player turnover that started the discussion would have been occurring regularly, assuming the coaching staff could recognize the lack of talent and bring in more. All of this is conjecture, of course.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X