Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIAA postseason scenarios after week 8

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    The problem is going to be that I think as it stands right now, the GAC is going to get 3
    Especially if SAU and Harding win out, Ouachita wins 2 of next 3 and Ft. Hays goes down to NWMSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
      The problem is going to be that I think as it stands right now, the GAC is going to get 3

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The rankings used to come out two weeks earlier and there would be even more dramatic changes by the final rankings
              Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

It used to be that the human element to the selection process was minimal, and it was based almost exclusively on win pct and SOS. We would see a lot of fluctuations because the SOS for each team changed every week. Then all the silo scheduling started, and the human element is very prevalent. Because of that, we may not see much change without teams losing.

The human element seems to be much more prevalent than ever in our region, because going by the criteria, Rolla is getting screwed:

http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/ex.../staticpdfrank

Comment

I used to run the numbers when the MIAA did OOC (and the rest of the region hadn't followed the bad lead yet either). One year that jumped was every ranking released up until the final one made no sense and was just random. The last one released matched perfectly to what I was telling people all along (as well as a few others that ran them at the time too).

Over simplified but going to get you close in today's world:
                  1. Playoff eligible? List created
                  2. Number of losses (you now have a rough tier list)

I haven't paid much attention past that but I don't remember any SOS flips over loss count variance like there used to be. Unfortunately for the playoffs the MIAA led the way to silo scheduling and instead of the NCAA punishing them for it they had a decent number of conferences follow suit. It wouldn't surprise me if step 3 above is conference champions vs second or lower placement in conference just for simplistic sake since only the GLVC and GLIAC can remotely be compared against each other of the four conferences. Step 4 for cutoffs has held to the 2+2+2+1 variant as well. So if there is record tie for the 6/7/8 type range expect it to hold that conference split.

Ferris has a really strange ordeal going on that could result anywhere from them being the 1 to ineligible. It also wont surprise me for Grand Valley to be anywhere from the 2 to the 6 in the final rankings pending the top 6 all win out.

Comment

Only 5 of the top 7 can win out since 2 pairs of them play each other.

Comment

Another thing that might come into play is the head-to-head loss to NW if NW would lose to Hays. Gorillas need to win out and become Bearcat fans.

Comment

Originally posted by NewCatEyez View Post
                        I used to run the numbers when the MIAA did OOC (and the rest of the region hadn't followed the bad lead yet either). One year that jumped was every ranking released up until the final onemade no sense and was just random. The last one released matched perfectly to what I was telling people all along (as well as a few others that ran them at the time too).
                        Didn't we figure out that one of the discrepancies between your numbers and the committee's was that you included future opponents and they didn't? That didn't explain all the differences, but was part of why they were closer at the end than the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                          Didn't we figure out that one of the discrepancies between your numbers and the committee's was that you included future opponents and they didn't? That didn't explain all the differences, but was part of why they were closer at the end than the beginning.
                          TBH I don't remember for sure. The years I did it I think there was only one true whiskey tango foxtrot situation that wasn't able to be figured out but I cant even remember what it was now. Any other variations were too close to call going in if it didn't match exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by NewCatEyez View Post
                            TBH I don't remember for sure. The years I did it I think there was only one true whiskey tango foxtrot situation that wasn't able to be figured out but I cant even remember what it was now. Any other variations were too close to call going in if it didn't match exactly.
                            2012. Harding @ NW instead of vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
                              2012. Harding @ NW instead of vice versa.

Comment

Probably right
                                Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X