Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is getting largely overlooked as far as the game. Bearcat defense that could not set an edge and was pushed around upfront. We had Kearney stopped for a FG attempt, but our very talented DE through a temper tantrum got a penalty that gave them new life and ultimately 6 points. The why he got a penalty is irrelevant. Just that he did.

Kearney rushed for 228 yards (vs. a Bearcat D) and converted 45% of their 3rd downs.

Not saying the game is "on the defense", just saying lots of contributing factors.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post

This is getting largely overlooked as far as the game. Bearcat defense that could not set an edge and was pushed around upfront. We had Kearney stopped for a FG attempt, but our very talented DE through a temper tantrum got a penalty that gave them new life and ultimately 6 points. The why he got a penalty is irrelevant. Just that he did.

Kearney rushed for 228 yards (vs. a Bearcat D) and converted 45% of their 3rd downs.

Not saying the game is "on the defense", just saying lots of contributing factors.
      Agree on Roberts.

About the entire Northwest defense. Looking at the box and judging the defensive performance versus the UNK averages.

x
      UNK Offense Before Game Game Difference
      Yards Per Play 6.8 4.5 -2.3
      Yards Per Carry 6.4 3.8 -2.6
      Rushing Yards Per Game 337 228 -109
      Passing Yards Per Game 138 125 -13
      Total Offense 475 353 122
      Scoring 32.7 24 -8.7
      x

The Northwest defense held them below their season averages in all those categories. The Northwest offense was held to 29.7 points lower than the season total and 17 points below its previous lowest scoring total.
      x
      x
      NW Offense Before Game Game Difference
      Yards Per Play 6.5 4.9 -1.6
      Yards Per Carry 5.3 4.6 -0.7
      Rushing Yards Per Game 227.8 143 84.8
      Passing Yards Per Game 229.3 116 113.3
      Total Offense 457.2 259 -198.2
      Scoring 46.7 17 29.7

x
      I think the game comes down to the +3 turnover margin that UNK had and a few missed opportunities in the passing game by the NW offense. Hit those passing plays and the score is different. Possess the ball and UNK runs at least 10 fewer plays, etc.

After I typed that, I thought it would be interesting to look at the number of plays each team ran per game prior and compare it to the game.
      x
      Plays Per Game Prior Game Difference
      UNK 69 79 +10
      NW 70 53 -17

Comment

Stats make it look like UNK just played out of their minds more than anything else, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
          Stats make it look like UNK just played out of their minds more than anything else, tbh.
          I think they did play well. It reminded me of UCO in 2018 making play after play.

I always say stats are for losers so they may not tell the real story of the game, but I simply evaluate the outcome of the game being determined by Northwest not taking care of the football.

Comment

Every team in the conference has some type of major flaw or flaws this season, imo. I think that has a lot to do with all the up and down results for teams. If a team exploits the flaws, they can win, or at least stay in a game they shouldn't. If they don't, they might get blown out.

Comment

As a general observation, I love how NW threads get almost no action pre game, and 86 pages of ranting post game, win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon

Agree on Roberts.

About the entire Northwest defense. Looking at the box and judging the defensive performance versus the UNK averages.

x
                UNK Offense Before Game Game Difference
                Yards Per Play 6.8 4.5 -2.3
                Yards Per Carry 6.4 3.8 -2.6
                Rushing Yards Per Game 337 228 -109
                Passing Yards Per Game 138 125 -13
                Total Offense 475 353 122
                Scoring 32.7 24 -8.7
                x

The Northwest defense held them below their season averages in all those categories. The Northwest offense was held to 29.7 points lower than the season total and 17 points below its previous lowest scoring total.
                x
                x
                NW Offense Before Game Game Difference
                Yards Per Play 6.5 4.9 -1.6
                Yards Per Carry 5.3 4.6 -0.7
                Rushing Yards Per Game 227.8 143 84.8
                Passing Yards Per Game 229.3 116 113.3
                Total Offense 457.2 259 -198.2
                Scoring 46.7 17 29.7

x
                I think the game comes down to the +3 turnover margin that UNK had and a few missed opportunities in the passing game by the NW offense. Hit those passing plays and the score is different. Possess the ball and UNK runs at least 10 fewer plays, etc.

After I typed that, I thought it would be interesting to look at the number of plays each team ran per game prior and compare it to the game.
                x
                Plays Per Game Prior Game Difference
                UNK 69 79 +10
                NW 70 53 -17

Some stats are different than others. Offense had two big turnovers early. Neither were returned for a TD, but 30 and 40 yards drives resulted in TDs. Defense was unable to keep them out of the endzone on quick-change opportunities. Prior NW D's would shut teams down, even in quick change. UNK only had 2 "3 and outs" all game and I believe 1 involved a penalty.

The defense also allowed 47% third down conversion. Which isn't horrible, but far below standard NW D output.

Again, I think more of the blame is on the offense, my point is the D didn't just lock them down and the offense screwed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Agree on Roberts.

x

It's no secret the quality of our line play on both sides had dropped dramatically too. Obviously replaced a lot of defense, but this team is getting pushed around, and getting no push on offense.

Comment

Some stats are different than others. Offense had two big turnovers early. Neither were returned for a TD, but 30 and 40 yards drives resulted in TDs. Defense was unable to keep them out of the endzone on quick-change opportunities. Prior NW D's would shut teams down, even in quick change. UNK only had 2 "3 and outs" all game and I believe 1 involved a penalty.

The defense also allowed 47% third down conversion. Which isn't horrible, but far below standard NW D output.

Again, I think more of the blame is on the offense, my point is the D didn't just lock them down and the offense screwed them.
                    47% is pretty bad. Perspective would be that the NW offensive juggernauts of 2015 and 2016 averaged 47% and 49% for the year while steamrolling people.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      As a general observation, I love how NW threads get almost no action pre game, and 86 pages of ranting post game, win or lose.
                      We just choose carefully when to biitch...unlike the monkeys who never shut the hell up...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post

We just choose carefully when to biitch...unlike the monkeys who never shut the hell up...
                        To be fair, our team sucks.

Comment

Your first statement is what I was implying without articulating. The short fields were huge.

There is no doubt the 2019 defense isn't as strong as previous versions. Having said that, those were two of the best defenses of all time and shouldn't be expected to be the norm.

I agree about third down percentage.

Good post catz54.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post

47% is pretty bad. Perspective would be that the NW offensive juggernauts of 2015 and 2016 averaged 47% and 49% for the year while steamrolling people.
                            The 2016 season was a great one for Northwest, but the offensive "juggernauts" owed a lot of their success to the defense. PSR used to say it all the time but no one would listen. He was correct.
                            2015 Northwest Opponent
                            Yards Per Play 5.8 3.6
                            Passing Yards 286.9 164.7
                            Rushing Yards 152.8 59.3
                            3rd Down Conv. 47% 24%
                            Play % 54% -
                            2016 Northwest Opponent
                            Yards Per Play 6.5 3.8.
                            Passing Yards 282.6 173.2
                            Rushing Yards 188.5 67.7
                            3rd Down Conv. 49% 27%
                            Play % 53% -
                            2019 Northwest Opponent
                            Yards Per Play 6.3 4.6
                            Passing Yards 213.1 250.7
                            Rushing Yards 215.7 97.3
                            3rd Down Conv. 34% 37%
                            Play % 47% -
                            x
                            Those offenses got to run more plays because, at Catz54 said, the defense got the ball back to the offense in short order. This year the offense is running fewer plays than either of those years because the defense does not get it back as quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

The 2016 season was a great one for Northwest, but the offensive "juggernauts" owed a lot of their success to the defense. PSR used to say it all the time but no one would listen. He was correct. [TABLE="align: center, border: 0, cellpadding: 1, width: 500"]
                              [
                              Those offenses got to run more plays because, at Catz54 said, the defense got the ball back to the offense in short order. This year the offense is running fewer plays than either of those years because the defense does not get it back as quickly.
                              I agree, but putting the 2019 offensive stat up there, based on who we have played versus the grind of a full 15 game season, is a disservice to the NC teams and their level of play. Also, think of how good those statistics could have been if the defense wasn't so good and they could have kept their foot on the gas.

The offense and defense are keeping the defense on the field this year. Allowing 47% of 3rd downs is bad. Highest since Pitt homecoming debacle in 2014 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post

I agree, but putting the 2019 offensive stat up there, based on who we have played versus the grind of a full 15 game season, is a disservice to the NC teams and their level of play. Also, think of how good those statistics could have been if the defense wasn't so good and they could have kept their foot on the gas.

The offense and defense are keeping the defense on the field this year. Allowing 47% of 3rd downs is bad. Highest since Pitt homecoming debacle in 2014 I believe.
                                I recognize the weakness of comparing seven games to 15 games but it's all we have, especially because it allowed me an opening to explain just how much those all-time great type of defenses were helping the offense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X