• Show
Clear All

Final was 35-0

Comment

GrifFan summed it up well. Not much to add here

Comment

Originally posted by Rainy View Post

GrifFan summed it up well. Not much to add here
        Only thing I’d add was the special teams looked pretty solid. No misadventures on PATs, most KORs kept inside the 25, solid punts. They didn’t have to do anything spectacular, but what they were asked to do they did well.

Comment

Originally posted by RollChos View Post
          I have to say that was embarrassing. Bobeck always fielded more competitive teams than that. Ill be interested to hear what AD has to say about that steaming hot turd of a game.

For the record, no I am not giving up on AD after 1 game.
          griffs played pretty well. Jones sailed a few passes. Maybe a little amped up for game one. Surprised to see mw rb get 30 carries especially in that type of game.

Yeah you can’t give up after one game. Ad needs a little continuity. 2nd half of the year should look more like you expect.

Comment

Originally posted by southside View Post

Surprised to see mw rb get 30 carries especially in that type of game.
            I would have liked to see them mix in a few different rbs, with as deep as they appear to be. Hall finished with a great night thanks to the 50+ yarder late, but it’s not like he was dominating before then. I suppose some of the others might have gotten a few more carries if Jones hadn’t kept it on the option so much, which obviously I’m not
            complaining about.

Comment

I see our offense was 1/3 passing and 2/3 rushing. I'm hoping we can develop the passing game a bit more before we run into a stout run defense.

Comment

A few more notes:

1. I was impressed with the TE play.
                2. We had 7 different players with receptions. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainy View Post
                  A few more notes:

1. I was impressed with the TE play.
                  2. We had 7 different players with receptions. Nice.
                  Grady is pretty good and created a mismatch. The other te is pretty good but we missed grandy last year for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                    A local realtor was doing a giveaway on the way in - closest to the final score wins a gift basket of Griffon stuff. My wife put down 45-3 - I thought OK, we’re not winning that lol. But, I don’t know, might have a shot?
                    Yep, we won. Should have my wife do the pick-ems I guess.

Comment

i pulled this convo down to this trhead instead of the trashtalk area. i dont belong there yet.

not sure who you were talking about ROLL about being lied to. if that was pointed at me, at no point did i say this oline was good. i said the practices looked more organized, less scattered. kids were moving fast and confident.

defense was doing what the defense does for the last couple of years. flying around and making plays. defense wasnt getting much push because a majority of the game they were double teamed (not just chipped) every single play with the linebackers filling gaps where needed. we started getting in trouble when the linebackers werent recognizing the QB as a legit threat i suppose. i don't know for sure lol. they werent there. not being out run or juked out or being beat to the angle. they simply were not there. outside of the 3 big runs for thier running back he had 2.4 yards per carry. 2 of his three were for 15 or so yards and the big TD was 50+. the qb hurt us the most with time of poessesion and his running. gonna have to clean that up for sure. we will see that again.
                      1st series, we have them 3rd and 8 and we jump off sides. mentally weak. they continue the drive and score. the third or 4th series i think we get busted on a pass interference in the end zone. they go on to score. two huge penalties and were down 14-0 at half.
                      bottom line, i dont think our defensive problem was dline. 98% of the rushing that got more than 3 yards was outside of the tightend. thats going to have to be fixed. the guys travelling for dline have 3 seniors but, we also have 3 rotating sophmores. defense was on the field far too long to be effective late in the game. the TOP only shows a difference of 7 and half minutes but at half it was MUCH worse than that. we had like 7 minutes at half or some stupid sh*t like that. the fact that we were only down by 14 and only allowed 1 score in the 3rd suprised me. especially now after looking at the stats.

offense, they just could not knock anyone off the ball consistantly. they are starting 2 redshirt freshman , 2 sophmores and a junior. lost the starting senior running back on the first play from scrimmage and QB1 looked nervous to run which is what hes typically known for. i know with that offense being that young, things were probably way vanilla coming out of the box but as things kept hitting them in the mouth, the confidence got worse and worse.

dont know man. they are seriously young. we're just going to have to suck it up for a little while. they play hard at this point and seem to pick each other up. thats all you can ask for this early in the season. it will come together.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                        i pulled this convo down to this trhead instead of the trashtalk area. i dont belong there yet.

not sure who you were talking about ROLL about being lied to. if that was pointed at me, at no point did i say this oline was good. i said the practices looked more organized, less scattered. kids were moving fast and confident.

defense was doing what the defense does for the last couple of years. flying around and making plays. defense wasnt getting much push because a majority of the game they were double teamed (not just chipped) every single play with the linebackers filling gaps where needed. we started getting in trouble when the linebackers werent recognizing the QB as a legit threat i suppose. i don't know for sure lol. they werent there. not being out run or juked out or being beat to the angle. they simply were not there. outside of the 3 big runs for thier running back he had 2.4 yards per carry. 2 of his three were for 15 or so yards and the big TD was 50+. the qb hurt us the most with time of poessesion and his running. gonna have to clean that up for sure. we will see that again.
                        1st series, we have them 3rd and 8 and we jump off sides. mentally weak. they continue the drive and score. the third or 4th series i think we get busted on a pass interference in the end zone. they go on to score. two huge penalties and were down 14-0 at half.
                        bottom line, i dont think our defensive problem was dline. 98% of the rushing that got more than 3 yards was outside of the tightend. thats going to have to be fixed. the guys travelling for dline have 3 seniors but, we also have 3 rotating sophmores. defense was on the field far too long to be effective late in the game. the TOP only shows a difference of 7 and half minutes but at half it was MUCH worse than that. we had like 7 minutes at half or some stupid sh*t like that. the fact that we were only down by 14 and only allowed 1 score in the 3rd suprised me. especially now after looking at the stats.

offense, they just could not knock anyone off the ball consistantly. they are starting 2 redshirt freshman , 2 sophmores and a junior. lost the starting senior running back on the first play from scrimmage and QB1 looked nervous to run which is what hes typically known for. i know with that offense being that young, things were probably way vanilla coming out of the box but as things kept hitting them in the mouth, the confidence got worse and worse.

dont know man. they are seriously young. we're just going to have to suck it up for a little while. they play hard at this point and seem to pick each other up. thats all you can ask for this early in the season. it will come together.
                        I am with you on the defense. I felt like for the most part they held their own but on passing downs we didn't seem to get any kind of rush outside of 1 or 2 plays. They couldn't have been max protecting if the TE was such a factor in the passing game. Just looked like our DE's couldn't beat their tackles. I do think we played solid d though outside of a few big plays. The runs by the QB were a little perplexing because nobody accounted for him on several plays. If he gets you once or twice, ok, but make that adjustment!

I thought the same thing about Steph as he just looked very timid running the football and almost like he was looking for a place to go down. Don't get me wrong you have to protect yourself but this seemed different. Do we not have the speed to stretch the field to open up the underneath stuff or were we just really vanilla? 4 Verts is not a hard concept to run even if you are super young. I think we will get better as the season goes along but was pretty disappointed in our offensive production out of the gate!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy_Broncho View Post

I am with you on the defense. I felt like for the most part they held their own but on passing downs we didn't seem to get any kind of rush outside of 1 or 2 plays. They couldn't have been max protecting if the TE was such a factor in the passing game. Just looked like our DE's couldn't beat their tackles. I do think we played solid d though outside of a few big plays. The runs by the QB were a little perplexing because nobody accounted for him on several plays. If he gets you once or twice, ok, but make that adjustment!

I thought the same thing about Steph as he just looked very timid running the football and almost like he was looking for a place to go down. Don't get me wrong you have to protect yourself but this seemed different. Do we not have the speed to stretch the field to open up the underneath stuff or were we just really vanilla? 4 Verts is not a hard concept to run even if you are super young. I think we will get better as the season goes along but was pretty disappointed in our offensive production out of the gate!
                          That MW QB is gonna make a lot of defenses look stupid over the next couple of years, imo. I think he's going to prove to be the best young gun in the league by a pretty wide margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

That MW QB is gonna make a lot of defenses look stupid over the next couple of years, imo. I think he's going to prove to be the best young gun in the league by a pretty wide margin.
                            agreed. it was weird because like billy said, it was two on one on the outside probably 5 or more times. almost everyone of those runs were 10+ yards. linebacker wasnt within 5 steps of it by the time he hit the LOS

we have the speed. iv'e seen it plenty. they're fast but can they run a good route? don't know. i don't know what kind of routes they are supposed to be running. We outran dbs several times Thursday night but, either no confidence in the throw or very little time to get it there. the Oklahoma state kid didn't look too bad considering he's new. he's no Steph as far as his feet but his arm is much stronger and more accurate.

we have to get some protection.

Comment

The score was what it was but I didn’t feel like the UCO D played bad. Even the long runs that broke late seemed like they were more about great individual effort by the offensive player (and yes, defensive fatigue, but that’s more about the lack of offensive output imo). They struggled with a mobile quarterback, but every defense does.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                                The score was what it was but I didn’t feel like the UCO D played bad. Even the long runs that broke late seemed like they were more about great individual effort by the offensive player (and yes, defensive fatigue, but that’s more about the lack of offensive output imo). They struggled with a mobile quarterback, but every defense does.
                                good points. i went back and looked at the first half "highlights" the pass interference and the offsides calls were both 3rd and long that we needed to get off the field. you guys scored on both of them. later in the first half we had an INT, a 4th down stop at midfield and a goal line stand to end the half.

the griffs had a ame plan and executed. the qb is a serious dual threat got to give it to em. defense swarmed and the O moved it well. i give it up to em.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X