Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Washington University Faculty Report

This was posted over on the main board, but it pertains directly to what we've seen happen in the GNAC. EWU's faculty decided the best way to solve budget and enrollment woes is to either drastically cut or cut athletics all together at the school. Other proposals including dropping the football team or transitioning to DII, DIII, or NAIA.

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/ewu...t?oid=19099082

Wow! Eliminating athletics will not save the University the amount they claim. With no athletics they can no longer charge those student fees to help off-set the Athletics department. The savings for other programs will be much less unless they still charge the athletic fees as a physics fee or some other named fee. They are not going to save students money it will just be charged as another fee. When was the last time you heard someone say I choose Eastern because of their physics department? if you are looking for a place in the physics department you will choose UW all day every day over Eastern. Looks like a very narrow minded view.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat94 View Post
      Wow! Eliminating athletics will not save the University the amount they claim. With no athletics they can no longer charge those student fees to help off-set the Athletics department. The savings for other programs will be much less unless they still charge the athletic fees as a physics fee or some other named fee. They are not going to save students money it will just be charged as another fee. When was the last time you heard someone say I choose Eastern because of their physics department? if you are looking for a place in the physics department you will choose UW all day every day over Eastern. Looks like a very narrow minded view.
      Yeah, it's strange that they're trying to peg declining admissions on athletics. I'd say it's more to do with lack of investment in the school infrastructure. If you haven't walked around CWU's campus lately, it's grown immensely. It's full of new and refurbished buildings. I was at EWU for an event not long ago, and CWU's campus is way better, in my opinion, which is probably why CWU's enrollment has been going up. The athletic budget isn't tied to that. This seems a lot like what happened at HSU, where the administration looked for the easy way out.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Yeah, it's strange that they're trying to peg declining admissions on athletics. I'd say it's more to do with lack of investment in the school infrastructure. If you haven't walked around CWU's campus lately, it's grown immensely. It's full of new and refurbished buildings. I was at EWU for an event not long ago, and CWU's campus is way better, in my opinion, which is probably why CWU's enrollment has been going up. The athletic budget isn't tied to that. This seems a lot like what happened at HSU, where the administration looked for the easy way out.
        EWU is typical of many FCS schools and that they often reach further than what they have. They've won pretty well in football and now and then in basketball, though they lost to an awful Idaho team in Cheney last night. They have a decent Spokane alumni/booster base, nothing compared to North Dakota State, James Madison, and other FCS football powers. I thought they never should've moved up from D2 and instead tried to be a Grand Valley State. A solo NCAA hoops appearance netted a 40-point loss, color me unimpressed. I'm all for being in the division you want to be in IF you can afford it. Frankly, I think Concordia might still be alive and kicking if they'd stayed in their inexpensive NAIA league, but maybe not. They just accepted $350,000 in donations last month and then closed the school and refused to refund the donations. Where are the donations going? Horrific leadership.

EWU has gone through presidents like a hot knife through butter. Bottom line, outside of the Pac-12 and Boise State in football and Gonzaga in basketball, the Northwest doesn't support FCS/Big Sky sports, or small college sports. EWU draws horrifically at the gate, not as bad as Portland State; Seattle U. doesn't draw anything and anything below those levels are just hoping people show up at their games.

Cutting sports isn't the answer at EWU, but neither is drawing 5K a game in football and 500 a game in men's hoops and saying you're big time.

* Yes, CWU's campus is a million times nicer than that dump of a campus in Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

I agree. The campus at EWU definitely needs investment because it looks tired.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

EWU is typical of many FCS schools and that they often reach further than what they have. They've won pretty well in football and now and then in basketball, though they lost to an awful Idaho team in Cheney last night. They have a decent Spokane alumni/booster base, nothing compared to North Dakota State, James Madison, and other FCS football powers. I thought they never should've moved up from D2 and instead tried to be a Grand Valley State. A solo NCAA hoops appearance netted a 40-point loss, color me unimpressed. I'm all for being in the division you want to be in IF you can afford it. Frankly, I think Concordia might still be alive and kicking if they'd stayed in their inexpensive NAIA league, but maybe not. They just accepted $350,000 in donations last month and then closed the school and refused to refund the donations. Where are the donations going? Horrific leadership.

EWU has gone through presidents like a hot knife through butter. Bottom line, outside of the Pac-12 and Boise State in football and Gonzaga in basketball, the Northwest doesn't support FCS/Big Sky sports, or small college sports. EWU draws horrifically at the gate, not as bad as Portland State; Seattle U. doesn't draw anything and anything below those levels are just hoping people show up at their games.

Cutting sports isn't the answer at EWU, but neither is drawing 5K a game in football and 500 a game in men's hoops and saying you're big time.

* Yes, CWU's campus is a million times nicer than that dump of a campus in Cheney.
            This story says the Concordia donators will be offered refunds.
            https://www.kgw.com/article/news/edu...6-5c437fdbaff8

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X