Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo Pistol Pete Pedro--Dies at 75

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...illoGlobeNews/

I've always heard the story that since WT was still segregated that the first black players were registered as Puerto Ricans. In Pete's instance, it was true!

It was a real joy to watch this man play the game!

Re: Buffalo Pistol Pete Pedro--Dies at 75

RIP

Comment

Pete and Ollie Ross enrolled at WT for the Spring Semester of '61. They were not the the first blacks on the team. When I enrolled ( fall 1960 ) their was a young black player from Littlefield on the team . Pete was the greatest .

Comment

Here's a little West Texas State Pistol Pete and Kingsville connection. Enjoy and you're welcome:

https://www.si.com/vault/1962/10/29/...preacher-pilot

Comment

Thanks for the article!

Seems pretty strange reading a football article with Arizona State, New Mexico State, WTAMU and "Hardin Simmons" all mentioned in the same article. Good old Border Conference. At one time, the members were Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UTEP, Texas Tech, WT and Hardin Simmons.

Comment

Great article. Thanks! My fist season to watch WT FB was 1968. People were still talking about Pete Pedro. I did get to watch all of Mercury Morris and Duane Thomas' games.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
              Great article. Thanks! My fist season to watch WT FB was 1968. People were still talking about Pete Pedro. I did get to watch all of Mercury Morris and Duane Thomas' games.
              My in-laws at the time had season tickets to the OU games, but if WT was playing at home with Mercury and Duane, they would come to Canyon rather than drive to Norman.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
                Thanks for the article!

Seems pretty strange reading a football article with Arizona State, New Mexico State, WTAMU and "Hardin Simmons" all mentioned in the same article. Good old Border Conference. At one time, the members were Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UTEP, Texas Tech, WT and Hardin Simmons.
                Texas Tech and Trinity Univ. were also members of the Border Conf.

Comment

Originally posted by olebuff View Post
                  Texas Tech and Trinity Univ. were also members of the Border Conf.
                  Trinity Univ - San Antonio is currently a member of the Southern Athletic Association (Div III) was never a member of the Border Conf. However, the Tigers did play WT State regularly back in the 50's & early 60's ('61 or '62) which was the last time the Buffs & Tigers played each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                    Trinity Univ - San Antonio is currently a member of the Southern Athletic Association (Div III) was never a member of the Border Conf. However, the Tigers did play WT State regularly back in the 50's & early 60's ('61 or '62) which was the last time the Buffs & Tigers played each other.
                    Was Sul Ross State U part of that Conference?

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                      Was Sul Ross State U part of that Conference?
                      No

Comment

Originally posted by olebuff View Post
                        No
                        I noticed a old picture of three football players last time I was at Hard Eight barbecue. Great place to eat barbecue both in Coppell and Stephenville when I am in North Texas. The players were from Sul Ross and they were competing for the 1949 National Championship representing the New Mexico Intercollegiate conference. I wondered if this later turned into the conference y'all were talking about. Turns out one of the three players was Dan Blocker better known as Hoss Cartwright from an old western series Bonanza. Blocker was born and buried in Northeast Texas but spent most of his youth in West Texas somewhere near Lubbock.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                          I noticed a old picture of three football players last time I was at Hard Eight barbecue. Great place to eat barbecue both in Coppell and Stephenville when I am in North Texas. The players were from Sul Ross and they were competing for the 1949 National Championship representing the New Mexico Intercollegiate conference. I wondered if this later turned into the conference y'all were talking about. Turns out one of the three players was Dan Blocker better known as Hoss Cartwright from an old western series Bonanza. Blocker was born and buried in Northeast Texas but spent most of his youth in West Texas somewhere near Lubbock.
                          O'Donnell, Tx off Hwy 87. Too bad about Dan Blocker. Relatively young Died in May 1972 at age 43 from Pulmonary embolism.

Comment

Sul Ross State was a member of the Lone Star conf from '50 - '75, however. Don't suppose they would be interested in rejoining the LSC. Never been to Alpine, but I would guess it would be an interesting place to see for visitors. The Lobos are a natural rival for UTPB.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                              It would be great if there is an Ollie Ross or Pete Pedro type player with WT's fall incoming JC or HS recruits.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X