• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Bill Maskills vs Fighting Todd Whittens

Any thoughts on this game?

Re: Fighting Bill Maskills vs Fighting Todd Whittens

Originally posted by OscarP View Post
    Welcome to the board OscarP, but if you are bringing that headline you gotta bring more than that. Im guessing you have thoughts on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarP View Post
      Are you the pet duck of Mr. Tarleton?

Comment

No duck here. Kinda torn between my loyalties in this game.
        I say Tarleton by 14

Comment

I think Tarleton has enough to get to McKinney. Even if they lose this week they make the PO's I think Valdosta gets there and probably Tarleton. Maybe Mankato from our region, because of their kicker, but I think Tarleton has everything they need this year. So I got Valdosta v Tarleton for the trophy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
            I think Tarleton has enough to get to McKinney. Even if they lose this week they make the PO's I think Valdosta gets there and probably Tarleton. Maybe Mankato from our region, because of their kicker, but I think Tarleton has everything they need this year. So I got Valdosta v Tarleton for the trophy right now.
            Yeah, those big uglies on the TSU line will not be denied this week. Too much depth and talent for MW to keep up. Texans by double digits. Penalties, turnovers and big plays in passing game of MW could keep it closer.

Comment

I think the blog by Joe Price is a great pre game analysis. He probably has studied this game as much as anyone except for the Tarleton and Midwestern coaches. Thanks Joe !

Comment

Originally posted by majorpayne View Post
                I think the blog by Joe Price is a great pre game analysis. He probably has studied this game as much as anyone except for the Tarleton and Midwestern coaches. Thanks Joe !
                Great analysis of what's in store Sat.
                night.
                Glad I finally get to attend a game this year. It has been a long drought for me.
                See ya there MajorPayne

Comment

There is also, in my opinion, a better than even chance that Tarleton gets Commerce in Stephenville in the first round if both win out at this point. Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain this week.

Comment

Originally posted by majorpayne View Post
                    I agree. Joe does a great job. Enjoyed reading his analysis!

Comment

Does anyone else ever notice that year-in and year-out MSU is always playing the biggest games in this conference? At least two or three a year. Kudos to them. They've been the most relevant and consistent team in this conference for 15+ years now. Per the game notes:

Midwestern State was won 21 more games than any other LSC member since the start of the 2000 season. That's an average of 7.9 wins per season for an overall mark of 149-56 (.727). The Mustangs are trailed by Tarleton State (128-77, .624), West Texas A&M (128-92, .582) and Texas A&M-Kingsville (104-98, .515).
                      MSU has had an outstanding season and they are very talented and deep at the skill positions. The offense is really one of the best they've had. I love Rabb and the running backs and WRs. Two chip shot field goals will haunt this team forever if they miss out this year. They are one of the best 15 teams in the country and it will be a big disappointment if they aren't playing in late November. Defensively it's the same story though as the past few seasons (and ultimately why they usually fall a little short). They are not dominating at all and are a bend but don't break defense. It will be interesting to see if they can avoid "breaking" in this one. They have one of the best defensive red zone rates in the country.

The Mustangs have been superb in the red zone allowing 10 touchdowns in 23 opponent excursions inside the 20-yard line. MSU Texas has allowed six field goals to lead the Lone Star Conference and 27th in NCAA D2 in allowing scores at a 70-percent clip.
                      Most importantly for Saturday though, MSU will be without their best defensive player in Sir'vell Ford (he's out for the year). That's a big loss in a game like this one.
                      He was the best tackler and presence on this defense. I don't know much about Tarleton other than they have had a tremendous season blowing teams out and that Whitten has played MSU tough for years. It's a big rivalry game and one that I can't wait to watch. MSU's defense will have to have one of their best games of the season to pull this one out. Tarleton will put up plenty of yards, but can the MSU defense turn a few Tarleton drives into field goals instead of touchdowns.

I think this will be a nail biter. MSU is tremendous at home. The weather is supposed to be beautiful and I'd expect the best crowd of the season. They win home games at an 83% clip in the Maskill era, and they are always up to the task against the best teams in the country.

The Mustangs are 8-2 against ranked opponents at Memorial Stadium since the start of the 2011 season. MSU Texas slipped to 14-3 against ranked opposition [overall] during the regular season since the start of the 2011 campaign after falling to No. 9 Texas A&M-Commerce, 20-19
                      The offense has to be great in this one. Nothing short of 40 points. And if they can win the turnover battle I like their chances. It seems this board has put the "stink" on MSU since the Commerce game. I think they are a very live wire in this game. This will be Tarleton's toughest challenge of the season. I'm pulling for the good guys! I'll take MSU with another last second scoring touchdown. Can't wait until Saturday night! Should be a blast to watch!
                      Last edited by Indian2Stang; 10-26-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I picked Tarleton in the Pick'ems mostly because they seem to be on a roll right now but, like I said during the Tarleton game, I won't be surprised if MSU wins this one. Tarleton's penalties will eventually catch up to them and could be the difference when the competition gets better. Either way, I hope both teams lose since I'm a Javelina fan for life.

GO HOGS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Indian2Stang View Post
                          Does anyone else ever notice that year-in and year-out MSU is always playing the biggest games in this conference? At least two or three a year. Kudos to them. They've been the most relevant and consistent team in this conference for 15+ years now. Per the game notes:

MSU has had an outstanding season and they are very talented and deep at the skill positions. The offense is really one of the best they've had. I love Rabb and the running backs and WRs. Two chip shot field goals will haunt this team forever if they miss out this year. They are one of the best 15 teams in the country and it will be a big disappointment if they aren't playing in late November. Defensively it's the same story though as the past few seasons (and ultimately why they usually fall a little short). They are not dominating at all and are a bend but don't break defense. It will be interesting to see if they can avoid "breaking" in this one. They have one of the best defensive red zone rates in the country.

Most importantly for Saturday though, MSU will be without their best defensive player in Sir'vell Ford (he's out for the year). That's a big loss in a game like this one.
                          He was the best tackler and presence on this defense. I don't know much about Tarleton other than they have had a tremendous season blowing teams out and that Whitten has played MSU tough for years. It's a big rivalry game and one that I can't wait to watch. MSU's defense will have to have one of their best games of the season to pull this one out. Tarleton will put up plenty of yards, but can the MSU defense turn a few Tarleton drives into field goals instead of touchdowns.

I think this will be a nail biter. MSU is tremendous at home. The weather is supposed to be beautiful and I'd expect the best crowd of the season. They win home games at an 83% clip in the Maskill era, and they are always up to the task against the best teams in the country.

The offense has to be great in this one. Nothing short of 40 points. And if they can win the turnover battle I like their chances. It seems this board has put the "stink" on MSU since the Commerce game. I think they are a very live wire in this game. This will be Tarleton's toughest challenge of the season. I'm pulling for the good guys! I'll take MSU with another last second scoring touchdown. Can't wait until Saturday night! Should be a blast to watch!
                          I, 100 million percent agree with you. They have been the most relevant and consistent. Largely because of Maskill and Staff. However, they have had their fare of struggles in the Playoffs.

I had not heard about Ford being out...that's a tough loss...

This will be a great game. MSU has to make 3-5 bomb plays in the passing game to stay in this one (30-50 yard passing plays)...IMO

This MSU defense will struggle with stopping the Tarleton rushing game...

Thanks for the kind compliments...I was surprised by the stats for these two teams...

Comment

Always up to the task at home...***in the regular season*** :smile-big:

Comment

Video feed available by MSU

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/msu/
                              Tarleton State Texan
                              Texas State Bobcat

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X