Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAMUK- Where do we go from here?

Here we are at the same spot we've pretty much been in for the balance of this decade turning in equipment after another letdown of a season. We are damn lucky we are not a one win team as we tried hard to give away three of the four wins. Questions have to be asked and answered. And they have to be answered soon.

We have a new AD and soon to be installed new President. Both come from backgrounds where football is a key part of their athletic programs. I've always held out for hope, but I find myself at a point where I want to just throw in the towel on the whole thing and not spend anymore time and effort trying to save a sinking ship. I take that back, the ship is sunk. So it becomes a question if the wreckage can be salvaged and brought back to life. Evidence suggests we are not at this point because one can look at the lip service the program got the past few years and the lack of a meaningful statement from the current leadership that this is unacceptable. My gosh look at the attendance for one were we averaged maybe 3,500 to 4,000 this year and a decade ago, that would of never been even thought of. Even in bad weather we'd have half the stadium full. Shouldn't that be enough visible evidence that something stinks?

I don't know if a wholesale replacement of the coaching staff is in order? I think Coach Wilk has a good football mind. I do think we need to refocus where we recruit and put more emphasis towards the Houston areas and the JUCO's. In other words, skip trying to take in All District players from the Corpus region and RGV players because you are not getting the best bang for the scholarship bucks. And it pains me to say that as a resident of the Corpus area and native of the RGV, but it's just a fact the talent pools are much, much, deeper elsewhere. We need people on our recruiting staff who REALLY know Texas and that is the danger when you bring in coaches from outside the state who are unfamiliar with the terrain and don't get off on the right foot in this critical part of the college football business in Texas.

The other thing that has to immediately get put in motion is the grand plans for our athletic facilities. I know other Javelina fans on here have suggested plans are in the works, but they can't be disclosed at this time. I think whomever is in charge of this needs to realize we are at a "break the glass and sound the alarm" moment here and the cat needs to be let out of the bag. Folks, we have kids that we are trying to recruit from 4A to 6A schools who have better high school athletic facilities than we do. This makes recruiting so much harder already and then you throw in just about every other D2 and above school in this state who have done or doing something about their athethic facilities, and Houston....... we have a HUGE Problem. And those who have already improved their facilities to today's standards and market demands are already planning for the next phase and you can bet your bottom dollar on that. We need to put the same emphasis in improving our athletic facilites as we have on many of our academic facilities which overall are on par or better with other comparable schools.

Like I said, I'm to the point where I want to say the heck with it and move on. It's been hard to see this program crash the way it has and nothing in sight to suggest a plan is place to reverse course.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 11-11-2018, 10:28 AM.

Re: TAMUK- Where do we go from here?

In one word, up.

Comment

I feel your pain. Remember the Ronnie Jones years at WT?? Three wins in Two years??
      Best of luck, The LSC needs a good Hog program.
      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

To the beach! Drink some beer & soak your toes for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
          To the beach! Drink some beer & soak your toes for a few days.
          Too cold now for the soak your toes part.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
            Here we are at the same spot we've pretty much been in for the balance of this decade turning in equipment after another letdown of a season. We are damn lucky we are not a one win team as we tried hard to give away three of the four wins. Questions have to be asked and answered. And they have to be answered soon.

We have a new AD and soon to be installed new President. Both come from backgrounds where football is a key part of their athletic programs. I've always held out for hope, but I find myself at a point where I want to just throw in the towel on the whole thing and not spend anymore time and effort trying to save a sinking ship. I take that back, the ship is sunk. So it becomes a question if the wreckage can be salvaged and brought back to life. Evidence suggests we are not at this point because one can look at the lip service the program got the past few years and the lack of a meaningful statement from the current leadership that this is unacceptable. My gosh look at the attendance for one were we averaged maybe 3,500 to 4,000 this year and a decade ago, that would of never been even thought of. Even in bad weather we'd have half the stadium full. Shouldn't that be enough visible evidence that something stinks?

I don't know if a wholesale replacement of the coaching staff is in order? I think Coach Wilk has a good football mind. I do think we need to refocus where we recruit and put more emphasis towards the Houston areas and the JUCO's. In other words, skip trying to take in All District players from the Corpus region and RGV players because you are not getting the best bang for the scholarship bucks. And it pains me to say that as a resident of the Corpus area and native of the RGV, but it's just a fact the talent pools are much, much, deeper elsewhere. We need people on our recruiting staff who REALLY know Texas and that is the danger when you bring in coaches from outside the state who are unfamiliar with the terrain and don't get off on the right foot in this critical part of the college football business in Texas.

The other thing that has to immediately get put in motion is the grand plans for our athletic facilities. I know other Javelina fans on here have suggested plans are in the works, but they can't be disclosed at this time. I think whomever is in charge of this needs to realize we are at a "break the glass and sound the alarm" moment here and the cat needs to be let out of the bag. Folks, we have kids that we are trying to recruit from 4A to 6A schools who have better high school athletic facilities than we do. This makes recruiting so much harder already and then you throw in just about every other D2 and above school in this state who have done or doing something about their athethic facilities, and Houston....... we have a HUGE Problem. And those who have already improved their facilities to today's standards and market demands are already planning for the next phase and you can bet your bottom dollar on that. We need to put the same emphasis in improving our athletic facilites as we have on many of our academic facilities which overall are on par or better with other comparable schools.

Like I said, I'm to the point where I want to say the heck with it and move on. It's been hard to see this program crash the way it has and nothing in sight to suggest a plan is place to reverse course.

Sadly, if there is only 3500-4500 at a game, there may not be anyone interested in breaking the glass and sounding the alarm except you.

At the D1 level, of course there would be wholesale change, because continuing on the same course means economic damages to the university in measurable ways. I am not sure you can prove that at anything sub D1, which is why there is much less turnover in the D2 world. Although it might suck for you as a Kingsville fan, I doubt that anyone can state with facts behind them that a stinky football team is hurting the school.

Comment

Comment

Why would a DC from an FCS conference champion go back down to D2? Makes no sense....

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
                  Why would a DC from an FCS conference champion go back down to D2? Makes no sense....

If the pay is good and the conditions are ideal, then why not? It could possibly be a faster track to build up the resume for a big and better gig at the FCS level either as a coordinator or HC at a lower level FCS school.

You all have a more ideal situation vs what we have down here at TAMUK for such an individual if you were in the coaching market. You all dropped off, but not down to bottomless hole depth like we have. Plus you got the stadium project rocking and rolling and any coach looking for a job worth his pay would love to be in that situation.

Comment

Calloway wasn't the answer either. Yes it's a recruiting problem and it has that causes and effects are well documented. It won't get better until those causes are addressed head on and dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                      Sadly, if there is only 3500-4500 at a game, there may not be anyone interested in breaking the glass and sounding the alarm except you.

At the D1 level, of course there would be wholesale change, because continuing on the same course means economic damages to the university in measurable ways. I am not sure you can prove that at anything sub D1, which is why there is much less turnover in the D2 world. Although it might suck for you as a Kingsville fan, I doubt that anyone can state with facts behind them that a stinky football team is hurting the school.
                      Understood. I would just rather close shop if your goal isn't to put all your effort into winning or at the very least, look very competetive out there. I don't believe in partcipation ribbons, but people respect competetive teams even if they come out on the short end and have a sub par season in the process.

Sadly we have a number of classes who have come through TAMUK who have zero idea what it felt like to have a consistent winner or competitor on the football field. And that is why 2000 to 4000 showed up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                        I feel your pain. Remember the Ronnie Jones years at WT?? Three wins in Two years??
                        Best of luck, The LSC needs a good Hog program.
                        That was brutal. I recall going to one the games down here against you all and it was one of the rare times I felt sorry for a team and their fan base.

It was almost like a High School Varsity team from a power high school playing a JV from a not so powerful school.

Come to think of it, we've looked like that a handful of times the last few years too....... The JV from a not so powerhouse school.

The 84 points dumped on us by Tarleton a few years back comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                          That was brutal. I recall going to one the games down here against you all and it was one of the rare times I felt sorry for a team and their fan base.

It was almost like a High School Varsity team from a power high school playing a JV from a not so powerful school.

Come to think of it, we've looked like that a handful of times the last few years too....... The JV from a not so powerhouse school.

The 84 points dumped on us by Tarleton a few years back comes to mind.

Comment

It was up to our defense to stop you all. They mailed it in.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X