Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WT Men's BB Signee Zach Toussaint

I've been keeping up with WT recruit Zach Toussaint. The Jonsburg, Ill HS senior is zeroing in on 2,200 career points and should finish his career in the top 75 all-time Illinois scorers. Considering he had only 56 points as a freshmen most of those 2,200 came in three years. He's also on track to make over 300 treys. He's had games of 52, 51, and 43 points. This year he's averaging 25 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists. Often facing gimmick defenses, doubling and triple-teaming him, Toussaint has led his team to the regional finals. Reading all the news reports and comments from opposing coaches, the slender 6'0" Zach is renowned for his NBA range as well as his ability to find seams and finish at the basket.

It's going to be a blast watching Toussaint slide into a WT guard scheme that includes LSC freshman of the year and first team all-LSC Qua Grant, and freshman 2nd team LSCer Jo Jo Murray. Toussaint should be very complimentary to the Buffs offense. Like Coach Brown says, "If you don't shoot it, we don't recruit it." Ha! Toussaint will have to get physically stronger (a good strength program which WT has) and pick up/improve his defense, but damn....he can flat out score. It'll be real interesting to see who Tom Brown and staff bring in to replace Ryan Quaid inside. If they can effectively replace Quaid, WT men's basketball will be a top 10 (or better) team again next year.

I watched 7 complete Toussaint games. His head coach and uncle, Mike Toussaint, puts the games on his twitter page.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-11-2019, 08:03 AM.

Re: WT Men's BB Signee Zach Toussaint

This is my biggest gripe with our basketball programs, that we do not recruit high school kids to come and play. Clearly it can be done and is currently being done by WT and Tarleton and I'm sure others. I get that our program was rejuvenated by finding the right mix of JUCO guys, but I would love to see us try and build a program that is sustainable over a period of time instead of having to retool the entire roster every year.

Maybe I am missing somethings here as to why we don't do it this way or at least attempt to do it this way, but something that I think most fans would like to see as well.
    That being said, I am impressed with the type of JUCO guy we are bringing in. Since Beard came on board until now, we haven't seen publicly very many if any "news worthy stories" about our basketball program. Every time I have had the opportunity to speak to our basketball players, they have all been incredible respectful and seem to be at least decent people. Most if not all of them are graduating with at least a bachelor's degree and many of them are completing their masters as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
      I've been keeping up with WT recruit Zach Toussaint. The Jonsburg, Ill HS senior is zeroing in on 2,200 career points and should finish his career in the top 75 all-time Illinois scorers. Considering he had only 56 points as a freshmen most of those 2,200 came in three years. He's also on track to make over 300 treys. He's had games of 52, 51, and 43 points. This year he's averaging 25 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists. Often facing gimmick defenses, doubling and triple-teaming him, Toussaint has led his team to the regional finals. Reading all the news reports and comments from opposing coaches, the slender 6'0" Zach is renowned for his NBA range as well as his ability to find seams and finish at the basket.

It's going to be a blast watching Toussaint slide into a WT guard scheme that includes LSC freshman of the year and first team all-LSC Qua Grant, and freshman 2nd team LSCer Jo Jo Murray. Toussaint should be very complimentary to the Buffs offense. Like Coach Brown says, "If you don't shoot it, we don't recruit it." Ha! Toussaint will have to get physically stronger (a good strength program which WT has) and pick up/improve his defense, but damn....he can flat out score. It'll be real interesting to see who Tom Brown and staff bring in to replace Ryan Quaid inside. If they can effectively replace Quaid, WT men's basketball will be a top 10 (or better) team again next year.

I watched 7 complete Toussaint games. His head coach and uncle, Mike Toussaint, puts the games on his twitter page.

Are you talking about the 8th grader that was recruited by WT? I showed his picture to a friend at yesterday's game and she thought he was 14 or 15. Brown told me that he is in the mold of JoJo Murray. Next few years could really be fun!! Brown also told me he's going after a couple of big men.

Comment

WT Men's BB Signee Zach Toussaint

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
        Are you talking about the 8th grader that was recruited by WT? I showed his picture to a friend at yesterday's game and she thought he was 14 or 15. Brown told me that he is in the mold of JoJo Murray. Next few years could really be fun!! Brown also told me he's going after a couple of big men.

Comment

What you guys are seeing at WT is the same thing they did back in Winona. Go get quality players who are going to be in the program for 4 or 5 years who can not only contribute on the floor but also off. This kid is a relative of John Smith, 2 time National Player of the Year. To bad he didn't get any of Johns height but he is a gamer like John so I am expecting him to be able to contribute right away. A goal for the staff would be able to red shirt more of these guys, that is another thing you don't see in the LSC. If the staff could have red shirted guys like Ryan Quaid just think of how they would have been in year 5 compared to year 4. But they have had to go get guys to come in to play right away and are finding some nice talent.

Comment

Is the recruit not D1 caliber?

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
              No, better. He's an assassin.

Comment

He's only 5'11/6' and a slender 160. Plus he play's at a mid-size school not so much in the Chicago area media coverage. He had been overlooked for the most part.

John Smith, a graduate of Jonsburg HS, 2 time D2 Player of the Year on the Winona State championship teams, and recruited and coached by Brown and Gove and a teammate of WT asst Henderson, called Brown and said this kid is not getting looks and should be, he's the real deal. Brown dispatched his coaches and they liked what the saw. They offered the kid a full ride.

Is Toussaint D1 caliber? I don't know. Was David Chavlovich? Jordan Evans? Ryan Quaid? Gage Primm? Qua Grant? Jo Jo Murray? Brown and company have a knack of finding D1 caliber kids who WANT (with the exception of knuckle headed Primm) to be at WT.
                Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                  No, better. He's an assassin.
                  Only according to some opposing coaches.

Comment

I saw several months ago that Prim had committed to Missouri State. Then the article also said he was looking at Texas Arlington.
                    Last edited by GoBuffsGo; 03-12-2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
                      I saw several months ago that Prim had committed to Missouri State. Then the article also said he was looking at Texas Arlington.
                      I beleve he signed with Missouri State. BFD.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofnsic View Post
                        What you guys are seeing at WT is the same thing they did back in Winona. Go get quality players who are going to be in the program for 4 or 5 years who can not only contribute on the floor but also off. This kid is a relative of John Smith, 2 time National Player of the Year. To bad he didn't get any of Johns height but he is a gamer like John so I am expecting him to be able to contribute right away. A goal for the staff would be able to red shirt more of these guys, that is another thing you don't see in the LSC. If the staff could have red shirted guys like Ryan Quaid just think of how they would have been in year 5 compared to year 4. But they have had to go get guys to come in to play right away and are finding some nice talent.
                        I should have read your post first. I wouldn't have reposted about the John Smith connection. I sure hope the two bigs Tom is recruiting are talented. If they are, we'll be pretty damn good next year, too. Is Gach's little brother in juco pretty good?

Comment

At the rate the WT coach is going, might be time to que up the list of potential successors.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                            This is my biggest gripe with our basketball programs, that we do not recruit high school kids to come and play. Clearly it can be done and is currently being done by WT and Tarleton and I'm sure others. I get that our program was rejuvenated by finding the right mix of JUCO guys, but I would love to see us try and build a program that is sustainable over a period of time instead of having to retool the entire roster every year.

Maybe I am missing somethings here as to why we don't do it this way or at least attempt to do it this way, but something that I think most fans would like to see as well.
                            That being said, I am impressed with the type of JUCO guy we are bringing in. Since Beard came on board until now, we haven't seen publicly very many if any "news worthy stories" about our basketball program. Every time I have had the opportunity to speak to our basketball players, they have all been incredible respectful and seem to be at least decent people. Most if not all of them are graduating with at least a bachelor's degree and many of them are completing their masters as well.

Comment

At the rate the WT coach is going, might be time to que up the list of potential successors.
                              I hope Tom hangs around a few more years. However, I bet he'll be very successful in D1, if he chooses that path.

At the top of my successor list would be his assistant coach, Quincy Henderson. Very intelligent. Good floor coach. Sharp guy. Been key in WT recruiting. Young. Ready to be a HC. Knows the Tom Brown method for building a program. The program will be in great hands.
                              Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-13-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X