Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update - Transfer Portal

The NCAA provided some clarity on Thursday as it publicized recommendations from the Transformation Committee, including the implementation of transfer windows, which could be approved as soon as early August.

Transfer windows will require that transferring athletes enter the portal during a specific time period in order to be immediately eligible to compete the following academic year. The idea is to provide clarity for both coaches and players around roster management, and administrators believe it will allow for more thought-out decision-making, instead of emotional choices based on a bad practice or an in-game benching.

The concept has been put forth and socialized over the past few months by the Transformation Committee, which has been meeting weekly. The group is also recommending changes to the NCAA infractions process to allow for speedier investigations and outcomes.

The Division I Board of Directors will review these recommendations at its June 30 meeting and, if the board supports them, it will then send them to the Division I Council for feedback during that group's July 20 meeting. The board's vote to approve the recommendations would then occur at its Aug. 3 meeting.

The Transformation Committee said its next priorities will be student-athlete benefits and minimum requirements for Division I membership.

"College sports continues to face many challenges, and we need to move quickly to update our rules and make infractions more efficient so we can focus our attention on Division I membership expectations and, most importantly, benefits for student-athletes," board chair Jere Morehead, president at the University of Georgia, said in a statement.

The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

The NCAA provided some clarity on Thursday as it publicized recommendations from the Transformation Committee, including the implementation of transfer windows, which could be approved as soon as early August.

Transfer windows will require that transferring athletes enter the portal during a specific time period in order to be immediately eligible to compete the following academic year. The idea is to provide clarity for both coaches and players around roster management, and administrators believe it will allow for more thought-out decision-making, instead of emotional choices based on a bad practice or an in-game benching.

The concept has been put forth and socialized over the past few months by the Transformation Committee, which has been meeting weekly. The group is also recommending changes to the NCAA infractions process to allow for speedier investigations and outcomes.

The Division I Board of Directors will review these recommendations at its June 30 meeting and, if the board supports them, it will then send them to the Division I Council for feedback during that group's July 20 meeting. The board's vote to approve the recommendations would then occur at its Aug. 3 meeting.

The Transformation Committee said its next priorities will be student-athlete benefits and minimum requirements for Division I membership.

"College sports continues to face many challenges, and we need to move quickly to update our rules and make infractions more efficient so we can focus our attention on Division I membership expectations and, most importantly, benefits for student-athletes," board chair Jere Morehead, president at the University of Georgia, said in a statement.

Since pro sports have a window such as this for free agency and trades, this seems like a good move especially after what happened to NC State last year where they had 5 running backs transfer out in July leaving 2 scholarship running backs on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Since pro sports have a window such as this for free agency and trades, this seems like a good move, especially after what happened to NC State last year where they had 5 running backs transfer out in July leaving 2 scholarship running backs on the roster.
      Another thing being considered is an unlimited number of transfers. I really don't like that idea. Coaches need to know who is going to be back or recruiting will become a bigger nightmare than
      it is now.
      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Another thing being considered is an unlimited number of transfers. I really don't like that idea. Coaches need to know who is going to be back or recruiting will become a bigger nightmare than
        it is now.
        Also for the players coming in, as the transfers take up scholarship spots. What I don't want to see is a school lose more transfers then they are allowed to bring in with recruiting and transfers that the current system has. That could leave a team in the state of Lincoln from Oakland last year where some players were required to play ironman football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X