Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Augie d1 thread

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Augie d1 thread

    The sad thing is Augustana's BFF... Winona State Warriors was the only team that has a winning series record against the Vikings 4-3 A play here or there and they could have won the regional tournament and perhaps the CWS.

    Comment


    • Re: Augie d1 thread

      Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      The sad thing is Augustana's BFF... Winona State Warriors was the only team that has a winning series record against the Vikings 4-3 A play here or there and they could have won the regional tournament and perhaps the CWS.
      I see absolutely nothing sad about this. :)

      Comment


      • Re: Augie d1 thread

        When is the championship parade? Will it be on Minnesota Avenue or on 115? Will they be going to the Governor's Office for chislic?

        Comment


        • Re: Augie d1 thread

          Originally posted by laker View Post
          When is the championship parade? Will it be on Minnesota Avenue or on 115? Will they be going to the Governor's Office for chislic?
          No chislic for Augie students, salads only, remember?

          Comment


          • Re: Augie d1 thread

            Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
            No chislic for Augie students, salads only, remember?
            Most students are home for the summer. If you have seen some of those SB players they look like they enjoy a good steak.

            Comment


            • Re: Augie d1 thread

              Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              Most students are home for the summer. If you have seen some of those SB players they look like they enjoy a good steak.
              I'd imagine they took they idea of hiding it in trees around campus? Haha

              Comment


              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                Most students are home for the summer. If you have seen some of those SB players they look like they enjoy a good steak.
                This is the most underrated post on the entire site! I’m still laughing.

                Comment


                • Re: Augie d1 thread

                  Here's a quick thought based on observations I've made this past week.

                  I've seen lots of folks respond to the Augie-to-D1 discussion with a line like, "Why can't Augie just be happy being one of the top athletic programs in D2?"

                  Three days ago Augie won a National Championship in women's softball in what was almost inarguably its most successful season in school history. We're not talking about a conference championship. We're not talking about a regional championship. A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. The best team in the entire sport nationwide.

                  Other than Augie-produced materials (website articles, tweets, etc.), I'm not sure it's even being talked about anymore in any of the local media in any way other than the initial news stories of the win itself. It's only been THREE DAYS. And even in the buildup of postseason games getting the Vikes to the National Championship run, it was a handful of Argus articles and a few TV news stories.

                  Now think about what happens when all of the local D1s even remotely succeed in the postseason. SDSU's appearances and success in the Summit League tournament (reminder: CONFERENCE tournament) as well as any resulting appearances in the NCAA Tournament (men's and women's) get weeks of coverage. Almost daily from the start of the Summit League Tourney until the team's season ends. (This includes special interest pieces on individual players, stories about the excitement for players in the postseason, etc. Essentially none of that has taken place in this National Championship run for the Augie softball team.)

                  Think about USD and the hype they got as their women progressed in the Women's NIT.

                  Then there's the 24-hour, 7-day a week coverage NDSU gets from the Fargo Forum and other local Fargo media during and even after football season. Throw in their men's basketball team's success the past several years and the hype that has earned and the coverage/attention is remarkable.

                  To be clear, I completely understand that those are larger universities with a significant alumni base and student population. I also know softball isn't football or basketball. But when a National Championship in a still reasonably popular sport doesn't get more than 2-3 days of coverage (and a few articles leading up to the National Championship), it's hard for me to see how it's more fun to "reign at the top of D2 athletics" by comparison to the attention the D1s are drawing for lesser accomplishments.

                  I'm sure other people have differing opinions and I'd enjoy reading them. I think it's actually summer now and there's much less to talk about on here these days.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Augie d1 thread

                    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                    Here's a quick thought based on observations I've made this past week.

                    I've seen lots of folks respond to the Augie-to-D1 discussion with a line like, "Why can't Augie just be happy being one of the top athletic programs in D2?"

                    Three days ago Augie won a National Championship in women's softball in what was almost inarguably its most successful season in school history. We're not talking about a conference championship. We're not talking about a regional championship. A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. The best team in the entire sport nationwide.

                    Other than Augie-produced materials (website articles, tweets, etc.), I'm not sure it's even being talked about anymore in any of the local media in any way other than the initial news stories of the win itself. It's only been THREE DAYS. And even in the buildup of postseason games getting the Vikes to the National Championship run, it was a handful of Argus articles and a few TV news stories.

                    Now think about what happens when all of the local D1s even remotely succeed in the postseason. SDSU's appearances and success in the Summit League tournament (reminder: CONFERENCE tournament) as well as any resulting appearances in the NCAA Tournament (men's and women's) get weeks of coverage. Almost daily from the start of the Summit League Tourney until the team's season ends. (This includes special interest pieces on individual players, stories about the excitement for players in the postseason, etc. Essentially none of that has taken place in this National Championship run for the Augie softball team.)

                    Think about USD and the hype they got as their women progressed in the Women's NIT.

                    Then there's the 24-hour, 7-day a week coverage NDSU gets from the Fargo Forum and other local Fargo media during and even after football season. Throw in their men's basketball team's success the past several years and the hype that has earned and the coverage/attention is remarkable.

                    To be clear, I completely understand that those are larger universities with a significant alumni base and student population. I also know softball isn't football or basketball. But when a National Championship in a still reasonably popular sport doesn't get more than 2-3 days of coverage (and a few articles leading up to the National Championship), it's hard for me to see how it's more fun to "reign at the top of D2 athletics" by comparison to the attention the D1s are drawing for lesser accomplishments.

                    I'm sure other people have differing opinions and I'd enjoy reading them. I think it's actually summer now and there's much less to talk about on here these days.
                    I agree and disagree with you, which feels weird. I do think there’s more to it than what’s on the surface though. What else is the paper in Brookings or Vermillion going to write about other than the local university? Also, people’s attention span these days is about 3 seconds, especially for a sport like softball (but also congratulations to the Augie softball team). As for people giving it press, look no further than the 1 or 2 posts here about the NC from presumably diehard Augie (and D2) fans. Same story in Fargo. If NDSU had 6 losing seasons in a row rather than the 5-6 NC they won, the Fargo Forum would be writing different stories. They’d still cover them because there likely isn’t much else to cover in the F/M area, same as Vermillion and Brookings, but it wouldn’t be all sunshine and rainbows.

                    But I do agree that being a D1 school will bring in more bandwagon fans when sports are going well. Ask NSU4LIFE about the Bison Bandwagon, I’m sure he’d love to tell you his thoughts :) I also think Sioux Falls is a perfect city for a D1 program and if Augie can duplicate their success of late, they will be the talk of the town (is that still a saying??) Moral of my rant is Augie is almost certainly making the right decision. They don’t seem like a school that hastily makes decisions like this without the proper research. I’m in the camp that will certainly miss the blue and gold Vikings as they always provided good entertainment while watching MSU play them. Even when McPizza was making buzzer beaters to win.

                    I wish Augie success and they will likely be the ‘local’ D1 I root for as I HATE the Goofers and their delusional fan base. Plus, you Augie posters have always been pleasant people with good contributions to the message board, which makes it easier to cheer for a team that isn’t mine. But as you and I have agreed on before, I won’t cheer for you guys while in the same conference :) I’m glad we’re both equally petty about that! Haha
                    Last edited by Purple Mav Man; 05-30-2019, 03:34 PM. Reason: Augustana shortened is Augie, not Audie...

                    Comment


                    • Re: Augie d1 thread

                      I think most of that has to do with school size and the sport itself.

                      NDSU has always had a lot of coverage from the Forum. They've been doing a great job since...well..forever.

                      I think the big reason that a lot of focus given to SDSU for a conference tournament is that it's realistically the height of their possible achievement.

                      I have always thought that an imaginary D1 state school in Sioux Falls could have been a great FCS participant (minus the existence of USD and SDSU).

                      Also, I'm not trying to suggest that Augustana is not making the right decision. Only time will tell. I just thought I'd give a little perspective.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Augie d1 thread

                        Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                        Even when McPizza was making buzzer beaters to win.
                        Rep points for the McPizza reference. And I have a cat named Audie.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Augie d1 thread

                          Regarding softball, I WAS rooting for Augie. The LSC fans think they are gods gift to softball, so it was fun to watch Augie beat TAMU-K. But not as fun as watching MSU beat the snot out of Angelo 2 years ago :)

                          Comment


                          • Re: Augie d1 thread

                            Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                            I agree and disagree with you, which feels weird. I do think there’s more to it than what’s on the surface though. What else is the paper in Brookings or Vermillion going to write about other than the local university? Also, people’s attention span these days is about 3 seconds, especially for a sport like softball (but also congratulations to the Augie softball team). As for people giving it press, look no further than the 1 or 2 posts here about the NC from presumably diehard Augie (and D2) fans. Same story in Fargo. If NDSU had 6 losing seasons in a row rather than the 5-6 NC they won, the Fargo Forum would be writing different stories. They’d still cover them because there likely isn’t much else to cover in the F/M area, same as Vermillion and Brookings, but it wouldn’t be all sunshine and rainbows.

                            But I do agree that being a D1 school will bring in more bandwagon fans when sports are going well. Ask NSU4LIFE about the Bison Bandwagon, I’m sure he’d love to tell you his thoughts :) I also think Sioux Falls is a perfect city for a D1 program and if Augie can duplicate their success of late, they will be the talk of the town (is that still a saying??) Moral of my rant is Augie is almost certainly making the right decision. They don’t seem like a school that hastily makes decisions like this without the proper research. I’m in the camp that will certainly miss the blue and gold Vikings as they always provided good entertainment while watching MSU play them. Even when McPizza was making buzzer beaters to win.

                            I wish Augie success and they will likely be the ‘local’ D1 I root for as I HATE the Goofers and their delusional fan base. Plus, you Augie posters have always been pleasant people with good contributions to the message board, which makes it easier to cheer for a team that isn’t mine. But as you and I have agreed on before, I won’t cheer for you guys while in the same conference :) I’m glad we’re both equally petty about that! Haha
                            The funny thing is I hadn't even considered the Brookings or Vermillion papers. I was only referring to the Sioux Falls media covering SDSU/USD to death. And while I don't disagree that SDSU's success influences their coverage, my point is that those schools get significantly more coverage in their moderate success than Augie gets in its best success. Even Augie's men's basketball National Championship coverage in 2016 was pretty quickly overshadowed by the SDSU NCAA Tournament coverage and the USD women's NIT coverage. And that's back when Augie had a full-time beat writer at the Argus, which they lost the following year. Frankly, that's another point: being tops in D2 still leaves the Vikings hoping they get coverage scraps in their local market. And I don't just mean the newspaper., which I recognize is a dying medium anyway. The number of TV news stories and special interest pieces isn't even close either.

                            Definitely agree this is the right city for a D1 program. And as far as the decision to jump goes, if they aren't prepared to invest in their success at the D1 level, then we'd better not even try. If we jump up and just try to scrap by on a bare bones budget and funding, it will certainly be a failure. But I highly doubt that would be the case at this point when hopefully everyone involved knows the stakes.

                            I'm glad you don't hate our Augie crew. You're probably one of only a handful of posters that doesn't strongly dislike us. Which is a shame, because we're really awesome people. :)

                            Comment


                            • Re: Augie d1 thread

                              Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                              I'm glad you don't hate our Augie crew. You're probably one of only a handful of posters that doesn't strongly dislike us. Which is a shame, because we're really awesome people. :)
                              This reminds me of Chappelle's Show. The Playa Haters Ball.

                              http://www.cc.com/video-clips/v64ifb...a-haters--ball

                              Comment


                              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                                Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                I think most of that has to do with school size and the sport itself.

                                NDSU has always had a lot of coverage from the Forum. They've been doing a great job since...well..forever.

                                I think the big reason that a lot of focus given to SDSU for a conference tournament is that it's realistically the height of their possible achievement.

                                I have always thought that an imaginary D1 state school in Sioux Falls could have been a great FCS participant (minus the existence of USD and SDSU).

                                Also, I'm not trying to suggest that Augustana is not making the right decision. Only time will tell. I just thought I'd give a little perspective.
                                My understanding is that the state was deciding whether or not to put the state penitentiary or state university in Sioux Falls and then Brookings would get whichever one wasn't placed in Sioux Falls. Unfortunately, Sioux Falls opted for the penitentiary. I may have that wrong to a slight degree, but that's my general understanding of how the choice was made.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X