Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSIC - Week 4 Chat

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

    Concordia used to play at the Metrodome???
    Yessir! Actually, here's the game I went too:

    Life to the Max Show #178 - "Hometown Hero" (Cory Sauter & SMSU) - YouTube

    It might have been just a one-year deal though. What happened was CSP inflated their bubble ahead of schedule that year, and moved all home games to the Metrodome. Seeing your team play (and win) on an NFL field sure was a fun experience.

    Also, I think CSP played Winona in the final week of that season at the Dome - the last ever CFB game played there.

    I also seem to recall a game SMSU played at St. Thomas, against CSP - but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. Maybe it was another NSIC team.
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 10-05-2021, 06:12 AM.

    Comment


    • For awhile the NSIC played the final regular season game for all teams at the Metrodome. I went one of the years and while we made the trip fun, the game itself wasn't good.

      IMO playing a game in that big of a dome with maybe a thousand or two on hand was a really awkward feel.

      I personally don't like football indoors to begin with but that dome was such a dump inside.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
        For awhile the NSIC played the final regular season game for all teams at the Metrodome. I went one of the years and while we made the trip fun, the game itself wasn't good.

        IMO playing a game in that big of a dome with maybe a thousand or two on hand was a really awkward feel.

        I personally don't like football indoors to begin with but that dome was such a dump inside.
        I agree with the awkward feel (though I like the Dome a whole heckuva lot better than the abomination they replaced it with).

        There just wasn't much for atmosphere. It was cool to see once, but I'd rather leave that for the big guys, or for really special occasions like when UST was going to play SJU at Taxpayer Stadium - and they can actually make use of the size.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

          Concordia used to play at the Metrodome???
          The Mavs played there once or twice in the early to mid 90s as well. Maybe 93 or so? Called it Domecoming. Like other teams probably did too..ha.

          It was cool at the time but really was an empty atmosphere. I played baseball in the dome in between my junior and senior year of HS. Cavernous wouldn’t even begin to describe the feel.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

            One thing to consider: many home fans also sit on the ‘visitor’ side (for various reasons at different places).

            At MSU, the home side can fill up at times, also the sun keeps the visitor side warmer during the cooler weather games. As long as it isn’t to heckle the visiting team, that’s not a valid reason to sit on the ‘other side’ :)

            I know many MSU fans (older guys that aren’t looking for trouble! Haha) that sit on the visitor side. More space and the warm sun. I sit over there about 25% of the time too.

            That’s not to say it has to be equal in cost to the home side by any means, but it shouldn’t be an afterthought like it is many places. A couple have been mentioned.

            **And the better the home side looks, the worse a ‘minimal’ visitor side will look in comparison. It should kinda compare a little.
            My ideal would be a stadium similar to UMHB's. Except instead of the Student Union building on the east side it would just be a concrete foundation to add a symmetrical upper deck in the future once we go D1. The render of it online gives us a similar angle of what it would look like at MSU, Stadium Road north, in Blakeslee footprint except in a N-S config.

            If they want cheaper then we could bo WTAMUs original design or one similar to pitt state with a modern design and without the track.We also have a bunch of space to build now that the vikes are gone and we have a bunch of practice field space.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

              The Mavs played there once or twice in the early to mid 90s as well. Maybe 93 or so? Called it Domecoming. Like other teams probably did too..ha.

              It was cool at the time but really was an empty atmosphere. I played baseball in the dome in between my junior and senior year of HS. Cavernous wouldn’t even begin to describe the feel.
              I was at the 94 and 97 games but we had parent teacher conferences in 96 so I missed the USD game. Once was fun, but you don't want to give up a home game again.

              1994 MSU 28 SCSU 14
              1996 MSU 31 USD 30
              1997 AU 43 MSU 10

              Comment


              • Originally posted by laker View Post

                I was at the 94 and 97 games but we had parent teacher conferences in 96 so I missed the USD game. Once was fun, but you don't want to give up a home game again.

                1994 MSU 28 SCSU 14
                1996 MSU 31 USD 30
                1997 AU 43 MSU 10
                I was at 94 and 96, not there for 97. Thanks for digging up the info!

                Concur completely. Once was fun. The second time wasn’t as cool even though it was a good game. Glad I missed the pounding...

                Comment

                Ad3

                Collapse
                Working...
                X