Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

How so? When $$ in D-II is so tight, what's the point of housin', feedin' and coachin' 'em for 3 weeks before the season starts when only 4 or 5 will make any impact?

Comment

I understand. Been here for a long time. Still it's a $$ issue and p***in' it off on the possibility of 3-4 contributors doesn't make fiscal sense if you want a solid program. jmo

Comment

I understand. Been here for a long time. Still it's a $$ issue and p***in' it off on the possibility of 3-4 contributors doesn't make fiscal sense if you want a solid program. jmo
        It's just never going to build depth OR trust with high school coaches. Adams State goes after guys in AZ that are only being recruited by FBS teams, like...why? Not everyone can recruit the way the top guys do but there surely is a better way. I don't understand why teams with these shortcomings don't try to run offenses that would allow them to recruit different guys that maybe aren't sought after by Mesa, Pueblo, Chadron. Look at the service academies and what they do with limitations...why is Adams trying to run 4 WR sets and throw the ball all over when they aren't ever going to recruit enough guys to be successful against teams that are simply athletically superior?

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

^This. I meant tiny scholarships. Dakota Wesleyan does or at least used to do a similar thing with East River South Dakota kids. I never said that it was a bad strategy especially since they have a near monopoly on the region. Chadron and SD Mines really don't recruit the same population so they can have at it
          How does that work since you can only have a total of 85 people receiving scholarship money?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post

How does that work since you can only have a total of 85 people receiving scholarship money?
            It's different in D1 & D2. In D1 they have 85 full scholarships, period. In D2 they don't go by headcount. It's called Full Time Equivalency. You get the equivalent of 36 full scholarships to distribute however you see fit. The RMAC places additional restrictions, so it's 34 this year, but it'll be 36 next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

It's different in D1 & D2. In D1 they have 85 full scholarships, period. In D2 they don't go by headcount. It's called Full Time Equivalency. You get the equivalent of 36 full scholarships to distribute however you see fit. The RMAC places additional restrictions, so it's 34 this year, but it'll be 36 next year.
              Finally. No idea why they didn't just set it at 36 the minute they decided to lift the limitation but better than nothing.

Comment

How so? When $$ in D-II is so tight, what's the point of housin', feedin' and coachin' 'em for 3 weeks before the season starts when only 4 or 5 will make any impact?
                When CSC's undergrad enrollment is only about 2k students, I bet the AD and president like this a lot. Those are bodies on campus period, even if the retention isn't typically the best. Many small private colleges (mine included, at least for sports other than football) utilize this strategy.
                4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                2016 NSIC Champions
                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

It's just never going to build depth OR trust with high school coaches. Adams State goes after guys in AZ that are only being recruited by FBS teams, like...why? Not everyone can recruit the way the top guys do but there surely is a better way. I don't understand why teams with these shortcomings don't try to run offenses that would allow them to recruit different guys that maybe aren't sought after by Mesa, Pueblo, Chadron. Look at the service academies and what they do with limitations...why is Adams trying to run 4 WR sets and throw the ball all over when they aren't ever going to recruit enough guys to be successful against teams that are simply athletically superior?
                  I think the biggest reason why the option hasn't been adopted by the middle of the pack and bottom feeders is how much time it would take to implement it effectively. It could take two to three recruiting classes to be competitive. I'm not sure how much patience some of the RMAC schools even have with their alumni .A secondary reason may be the hesitation of being penalized for chop blocks with RMAC officials, since its been established that they're not the best. I'm not even sure who the last RMAC school to run it was. Do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post

I think the biggest reason why the option hasn't been adopted by the middle of the pack and bottom feeders is how much time it would take to implement it effectively. It could take two to three recruiting classes to be competitive. I'm not sure how much patience some of the RMAC schools even have with their alumni .A secondary reason may be the hesitation of being penalized for chop blocks with RMAC officials, since its been established that they're not the best. I'm not even sure who the last RMAC school to run it was. Do you know?
                    So instead of struggling with a new system for 3 years they struggle with the same system for 3 years? Lol.

Comment

So instead of struggling with a new system for 3 years they struggle with the same system for 3 years? Lol.
                      Struggling would be worse than 4-6 for a couple of years, especially with their defense. If you have
                      time
                      and sell the AD on your vision you could have a dangerous team. Throw in the elevation and recruiting the same WT guys that ENMU gets and ASU is back to being in the top half of the RMAC. It's an interesting hypothetical.

Comment

As much as I love the triple option, it should only be run by service academies or D3 teams who literally cannot recruit good offensive lineman. Kids just do not want to play in that system, so it already puts a further limitation on recruiting that wasn't there before. Academies can overcome this fact by knowing that most kids who attend there already have felt a call to service and just want to continue their careers.

A perfect example of this is UMary in the NSIC. They were a pretty decent NAIA team, but they move up to D2 and are below average. They just got done with a two or three year experiment with the triple option, and they went from bad to atrocious. Like, Minnesota Crookston levels of terrible. Additionally, no large high schools that are typical recruiting spots run the triple option anymore. So unless your team is filled with kids from schools like Winner or Parkston SD, you'll have to redshirt all your first years so that they learn the system. Not to mention you'll never get a good wide receiver recruit again. I'd much rather have my team struggle with the spread or pro style in a couple down years than have them try and fail to become the next ENMU or Harding

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post

Struggling would be worse than 4-6 for a couple of years, especially with their defense. If you have
                          time
                          and sell the AD on your vision you could have a dangerous team. Throw in the elevation and recruiting the same WT guys that ENMU gets and ASU is back to being in the top half of the RMAC. It's an interesting hypothetical.
                          Yay 4-6 is great let's aim for that. Seems to be the attitude of many. Have fun job hunting I guess? You're not going to compete by doing the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

Well described. And at the D2 level $300 - $500 of football money can be supplemented by academic money. A lot of the RMAC and NSIC schools use the strategy of offering a lot of partials - to get bodies and enrollment, but also offer bigger chunks to the "must have" guys. Typically, kids that perform, get a steady increase as they mature through the years in the program. If you gave 26 full ride equivalents - you wouldn't have a very big squad. The D2 guys work with what they have - which isn't a lot, in some cases, .

Comment

BHSU back in the day did have a Coach that would yank Scholarship money if a player was not taking care of business on and off the field. They also made two trips into the playoffs in that era.

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

As much as I love the triple option, it should only be run by service academies or D3 teams who literally cannot recruit good offensive lineman. Kids just do not want to play in that system, so it already puts a further limitation on recruiting that wasn't there before. Academies can overcome this fact by knowing that most kids who attend there already have felt a call to service and just want to continue their careers.

A perfect example of this is UMary in the NSIC. They were a pretty decent NAIA team, but they move up to D2 and are below average. They just got done with a two or three year experiment with the triple option, and they went from bad to atrocious. Like, Minnesota Crookston levels of terrible. Additionally, no large high schools that are typical recruiting spots run the triple option anymore. So unless your team is filled with kids from schools like Winner or Parkston SD, you'll have to redshirt all your first years so that they learn the system. Not to mention you'll never get a good wide receiver recruit again. I'd much rather have my team struggle with the spread or pro style in a couple down years than have them try and fail to become the next ENMU or Harding

2019 DII triple option teams:

Lenoir Ryhne- won a playoff game today
                                Carson Newman-won a playoff game today
                                Harding-made ncaa DII playoffs
                                ENMU- In a Bowl game
                                Kearney- In a Bowl game
                                ???????Pitt St- 6-5 this season

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X