Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLU Mascot???

Had a fellow poster PM me and ask if I knew why WLU has a Bear as a mascot when they are known as the Toppers. He also asked what exactly a Topper was??!!

With regard to the WLU Bear, I found out that in 1963 West Liberty State College had a select a mascot competition among the student body and they chose the Black Bears to be the schools official mascot and they named him "Topper." If the source is correct, West Liberty actually had a black bear cub on the sidelines at home football games!

I don't know how these things become, or even if they are, "official," but it seems like WLU is "officially" the Black Bears and not the Hilltoppers!

I do recall back when Branden Ore was playing RB at WLU, they ran the "Wild Bear" offense on occasions. "Wild Bear" was WLU's version of the Wildcat offense.

We all know what Topper the Bear looks like...anyone want to venture a guess on what a "Hilltopper" would look like? I envision some sort of Appalachian "moonshiner" with a beat-up straw top hat, big beard, overalls, rifle and "brown jug" on his shoulder. We could call him "Tipsy the Topper."
    Last edited by boatcapt; 12-06-2017, 11:00 AM.

Re: WLU Mascot???

This reminds me of one of the annual chants from the "Birdcage". What's a topper... clap clap clap clap clap

It's the mystery of mysteries for all collegiate nicknames. Hahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by JesuitHoops View Post
      This reminds me of one of the annual chants from the "Birdcage". What's a topper... clap clap clap clap clap

It's the mystery of mysteries for all collegiate nicknames. Hahahaha!
      Topper is an easy one...It's short for Hilltoppers, i.e. were WLU is located...On the hilltop.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        Topper is an easy one...It's short for Hilltoppers, i.e. were WLU is located...On the hilltop.
        That was my initial thought. Seems pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Had a fellow poster PM me and ask if I knew why WLU has a Bear as a mascot when they are known as the Toppers. He also asked what exactly a Topper was??!!

With regard to the WLU Bear, I found out that in 1963 West Liberty State College had a select a mascot competition among the student body and they chose the Black Bears to be the schools official mascot and they named him "Topper." If the source is correct, West Liberty actually had a black bear cub on the sidelines at home football games!

I don't know how these things become, or even if they are, "official," but it seems like WLU is "officially" the Black Bears and not the Hilltoppers!

I do recall back when Branden Ore was playing RB at WLU, they ran the "Wild Bear" offense on occasions. "Wild Bear" was WLU's version of the Wildcat offense.

We all know what Topper the Bear looks like...anyone want to venture a guess on what a "Hilltopper" would look like? I envision some sort of Appalachian "moonshiner" with a beat-up straw top hat, big beard, overalls, rifle and "brown jug" on his shoulder. We could call him "Tipsy the Topper."
          You need to Google Yosef from App State, sounds like you just almost perfectly described that mascot. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
            You need to Google Yosef from App State, sounds like you just almost perfectly described that mascot. Lol
            Very similar indeed!

Comment

Must admit I hate landing on the Moonshiner TV show ... Once I start I can watch it for, well, too long. That, and that darn Oak Island show.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X