• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CIAA Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Camden's Williams goes from novice to basketball recruit

Updated: OCTOBER 28, 2016
    by Phil Anastasia, Staff Writer @PhilAnastasia

When Deaquan Williams was a freshman, he could "take 10 shots under the basket and miss nine of them," according to Camden High School coach John Valore.
    Williams said he might have been worse than that.

"Coach Valore used to say I couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time," Williams said with a smile.

Now a springy 6-foot-6 senior, Williams has developed into a force at both ends of the court for one of South Jersey's premier programs. He is a rim protector on defense, sure-handed rebounder in traffic and surprisingly effective finisher on offense.

Earlier this week, Williams committed to attend Lincoln University on a basketball scholarship - an event he admits would have seemed far-fetched as recently as the end of his sophomore season.

"I wouldn't have believed it could happen," Williams said. "I didn't even start to take basketball seriously until after my sophomore year."
    Lincoln University is located in Oxford, Chester County. The Lions' basketball team is a NCAA Division 2 program that competes in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association with programs such as Virginia State and Winston-Salem State.

At Lincoln, Williams will play for head coach Doug Overton, a former La Salle star and NBA player.

In a recent fall league game at Paul VI, Williams helped Camden to a victory over Pennsauken with several blocks, rebounds and put-backs. He even made a jumper from the top of the key.

Valore said Williams "no question" is one of the most improved players in the coach's 40 seasons at the varsity level.
    "He's come so far it's unbelievable," Valore said.

Williams traces much of his improvement over the last year to his play with Team Final, an elite AAU program based in Philadelphia and run by former Camden star Aaron Burt.

Team Final competes in the Nike EYBL - the highest level of AAU basketball for high school players - and features athletes on its roster such as Neumann-Goretti senior power forward Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, a Villanova recruit, and Westtown School junior swingman Cameron Reddish, who has offers from Kentucky and Duke.

St. Augustine Prep senior swingman Justyn Mutts, a High Point recruit, was another of Williams' teammates on Team Final.

"I improved so much playing for that team," Williams said. "Just travelling around the country, playing against those kinds of players in practice, I couldn't help but get better."

Burt, a special-education teacher in the Cherry Hill district, marvels at Williams' development.

"This is a kid that two years ago, I wasn't even sure he liked basketball," Burt said. "He couldn't make a layup. He wasn't even sure how to catch the ball.
    "But he put the time in the gym. He got better. And you could see his confidence grow just from the competition he was facing in our practices and when he would get in our games."

Williams said he never played organized basketball before his eighth-grade year at Creative Arts Academy in Camden's Morgan Village section.

He was a reserve on the freshman team and a reserve on the junior varsity as a sophomore, although his ability to run, jump, block shots and rebound was beginning to catch the coaches' eyes by the end of that season.

"When [Camden] lost in the state final my sophomore year, I said to myself that I had to get serious," Williams said. "I wanted to help us get a ring."
    Williams bounced off the bench last season for a Camden team that made the state final again and lost again.

He believes his improvement as well as the continued development of returning starters such as senior John Evans and juniors Myles Thompson and Corey Greer could mean the end of Camden's search for that elusive 12th state title in program history.

Williams also said Camden will get an added boost this season from the knowledge that the Panthers' historic gymnasium will be torn down along with the rest of the building after the school year to make way for a new facility.

"It's going to be the last everything in that gym," Williams said. "We have to get a state title for that last season in there."

[email protected]

@PhilAnastasia
    www.philly.com/jerseysidesports

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...l_recruit.html

Comment

Looking forward to the opening of the season with Mansfield and California Pa this weekend. Watching VSU play 3 exhibition games against D1 schools and the only thing that's negative that I came away with was the free throw shooting. It is absolutely horrendous. They barely shot 50% as a team. VSU played Duke fairly well (-31pts), played horribly against Old Dominion (shot 19% from the field) and beat Norfolk State in 2OT. All games the free throw shooting was really really bad. I'm concerned in tight games that may be the downfall if they don't shore that up. The defense is really good and the new transfer Granberry is really good. VSU plays 12 players so fatigue will not be a problem. If they can hit atleast 70% of their FT's or more, they will be a force in and out of conference. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the CIAA and Atlantic region has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by kjb0615 View Post
        Looking forward to the opening of the season with Mansfield and California Pa this weekend. Watching VSU play 3 exhibition games against D1 schools and the only thing that's negative that I came away with was the free throw shooting. It is absolutely horrendous. They barely shot 50% as a team. VSU played Duke fairly well (-31pts), played horribly against Old Dominion (shot 19% from the field) and beat Norfolk State in 2OT. All games the free throw shooting was really really bad. I'm concerned in tight games that may be the downfall if they don't shore that up. The defense is really good and the new transfer Granberry is really good. VSU plays 12 players so fatigue will not be a problem. If they can hit atleast 70% of their FT's or more, they will be a force in and out of conference. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the CIAA and Atlantic region has to offer.
        I think the CIAA North will be the tougher of the two divisions. The Trojans are the defending Conference champions, Bowie always come up tough and Lincoln has size to go with speed, but we don't know how long it will take to gel? Chowan and Elizabeth City State always field steady consistent teams.

Comment

Originally posted by NJLincolnLion View Post
          I think the CIAA North will be the tougher of the two divisions. The Trojans are the defending Conference champions, Bowie always come up tough and Lincoln has size to go with speed, but we don't know how long it will take to gel? Chowan and Elizabeth City State always field steady consistent teams.
          I agree. I think the CIAA North will be tough. VUU is rumored to be better this season as well. I'm thinking WSSU, FSU and Livingston will be very competitive as well. I'm hoping the CIAA as a conference does well with the OOC part of the schedule this year.

Comment

VSU defeated CAL U 78-53. The 3 exhibition games against D1 teams really helped. The frontcourt pretty much did anything they wanted to do against a team with comparable size and talent. I see VSU defeating Mansfield tomorrow by a minimum of 20 pts.
            St. Aug defeated Mansfield 66-60. Both teams played a very sloppy game. St. Aug has some really good guards and decent size in the back court. I think they will do ok in the CIAA. Then again, it's early in the season so time will tell.

Comment

Lincoln lost at #24 IUP 101-82. The first half was disastrous for the Lions, while the second half was competitive. In hindsight I wonder why Lincoln didn't schedule any preseason exhibition games. Looking at the stat sheets we were doing an awful lot of fouling and very little scoring. Our big man filed out after playing only 6 minutes.

Comment

VSU lost to Mansfield 49-48. You can't win a game shooting 25% from the FT line. Just horrible. Mansfield was undersized but did a great job packing the middle. VSU outside shooting is horrendous as well. Defense was pretty good but other than that, not a lot to be positive about.

Comment

Lincoln starts the season 0-2 with a 78-60 loss to University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown following the season opening loss to IUP.

Comment

We should have beaten Young Harris College! Mansfield, now YH. We can't be losing these close games! IMO, the hardest part of the schedule hasn't even come yet. (University of Mount Olive, King and WSSU). That will be a tough 3 games. If we come away 2-1. I will be satisfied.

Comment

Virginia State U. ESPN3 games.

Wednesday, Jan. 18 at 5:30 p.m. Chowan at Virginia State (Women) ESPN3
                      Wednesday, Jan. 18 at 7:30 p.m. Chowan at Virginia State (Men) ESPN3

Everyone is going to get to see the best sports venue in D2! The MPC!

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...eason-unveiled

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                        We should have beaten Young Harris College! Mansfield, now YH. We can't be losing these close games! IMO, the hardest part of the schedule hasn't even come yet. (University of Mount Olive, King and WSSU). That will be a tough 3 games. If we come away 2-1. I will be satisfied.

The Mansfield game I do agree. I was there and they should have one. They played with no energy at all and also missed 70% of their FT's. YHC was pretty good and the last second shot loss I really can't me mad about. It was a good game played by both teams and they actually shot the ball pretty well. I see them winning against King and Mount Olive but they have to play with more energy at the beginning of games. Granberry is a beast and I believe he should get more touches. The younger guys are coming along but they need to start hitting more of the open shots. The rebounding is there, the PG play is there we just need the shooting guards to step up.

Comment

I hope we win these next two game against St. Aug and FSU. If we win these next 4 games we might be ranked in the top 25. Are OOC schedule wasn't that bad this year.

Comment

Well, they lost to St. Aug last night. Poor shooting performance. They seem to play according to the competition. Turnovers and FT shooting was the main culprit last night. VSU seems to struggle after a long break between games.

Comment

This year is strange. On paper before the season started our OOC looked pretty good. But it seems like all of your usually good teams like Mount Olive, King, etc are having down years. Well at least there is VUU. I'm looking forward to that game. Men and Women.

Comment

The Watch ESPN App will broadcast the Chowan @ VSU game live tonight at 7:30 pm. Odds are the CIAA might only get one team in the post season this year, and with these two teams currently sitting at 1 and 2 in the North, there's a good chance that one of these schools will be the CIAA champ.

http://www.theciaa.com/general/2016-...20170117gon1or

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X