Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CIAA, MEC, PSAC - Preview

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
    I wasn't attacking you and your program. But no one can expect to win 25 games a year. My point, is that Crutchfield is a Hall of Famer and that you had a good first season without him. I'm not knocking your coach or your program, I just expect that you won't have the same success as you did under a Hall of Fame coach. If you really want to get upset about those comments, then you are welcome to. But being 25-1 and getting BLOWN OUT in the tournament is a sign that the MEC was really weak, not that you guys are the cream of the crop. I think the MEC will continue to get weaker and I could care less if you win the conference for the next 5 years in a row, I was just stating my opinion. I don't wish or hope that you decline, I just think that you will.
    Your points are not unreasonable. A few counter arguments:
    1. Howlett was with crutch over 10 years and was doing most of recruiting over last 5 years.
    2. Before data analytics there was crutch. If u compare golden states stats with wl and adjust for 40 minute game wl is better in about 70% of the categories. It is the players executing the style that wins. Since 2010 wl has won 90% of their games, more than Kentucky or Kansas who have longer seasons. Wl led nation last year in scoring, assists and assist to turnover ratio which is conducive to winning
    3. Recruiting is improving despite losing insincere carry to Duquesne. Players love the style but not all can play it. Wl is starting to be very selective.

4. No system prevents blowouts unless u take the air out of the ball. Ship was a bad matchup, the perfect storm. Wl was not hitting 3s. Not saying they would have won but it contributed to blowout.

Comment

CIAA, MEC, PSAC - Preview

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      Your points are not unreasonable. A few counter arguments:
      1. Howlett was with crutch over 10 years and was doing most of recruiting over last 5 years.
      2. Before data analytics there was crutch. If u compare golden states stats with wl and adjust for 40 minute game wl is better in about 70% of the categories. It is the players executing the style that wins. Since 2010 wl has won 90% of their games, more than Kentucky or Kansas who have longer seasons. Wl led nation last year in scoring, assists and assist to turnover ratio which is conducive to winning
      3. Recruiting is improving despite losing insincere carry to Duquesne. Players love the style but not all can play it. Wl is starting to be very selective.

4. No system prevents blowouts unless u take the air out of the ball. Ship was a bad matchup, the perfect storm. Wl was not hitting 3s. Not saying they would have won but it contributed to blowout.
      Last edited by IUP24; 08-08-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Comment

I am not a WLU doubter, I have a lot of respect for your program. I just don't think that it's rocket science, you lost a hall of fame head coach, Wheeling is in shambles, Fairmont has a new head coach as well, you are losing Shepherd, and Charleston is a roller coaster. Those are the traditional powers. I just think it's common sense that the conference won't be as good without some of the head coaches that made it so good.
          Shepherd...Traditional power...In BASKETBALL????? Uhhhh...OK. They've had one 20 win season (2013) which was their first since 1992.

You may call Charleston up and down...I call them pretty consistently middle of the pack. Last time I'd say they were good was in 2013 when they went 21-9. After that season, they've drifted in the slightly above 500 range. But they do have a HC that has been there for six years so I guess they must be good.

Fairmont's HC was new last year and was somehow able to guide the Falcons to 21-7 record. Clearly Fairmont's record last year was a one season fluke just like WLU's and both teams are bound to fall starting this year. NO WAY they could possibly be as good as the guys they replaced!!
          Last edited by boatcapt; 08-08-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
            You just compared West Liberty to Golden State. I keep my mouth shut most of the time about how long, serious, and statistically driven some of your posts are, but bro, that **** is HILARIOUS! LOL

Few people here care about next level analytics.
            Just because few people here care, it doesn't mean they aren't valid.
            Last edited by boatcapt; 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Charleston could be pretty good this coming season. They had 3 good freshman last year that by the end of the season, 2 of them were starting and the other playing good minutes. We all know who they beat en route to the MEC conference finals also.

Along with the young guys I know at least of one transfer they picked up from UNC Ashville that is going to be a good (maybe very good) D2 player...WL, Jesuit, and others all wanted this kid but he chose Charleston because of UCs newly hired assistant. Before anyone says it...the assistant was not hired just to get the transfer haha.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                Shepherd...Traditional power...In BASKETBALL????? Uhhhh...OK. They've had one 20 win season (2013) which was their first since 1992.

You may call Charleston up and down...I call them pretty consistently middle of the pack. Last time I'd say they were good was in 2013 when they went 21-9. After that season, they've drifted in the slightly above 500 range. But they do have a HC that has been there for six years so I guess they must be good.

Fairmont's HC was new last year and was somehow able to guide the Falcons to 21-7 record. Clearly Fairmont's record last year was a one season fluke just like WLU's and both teams are bound to fall starting this year. NO WAY they could possibly be as good as the guys they replaced!!
                Why are you so defensive? I get the sarcasm, but you're probably right. You guys will win 25 games every year and so will Fairmont. I am sure that you or Fairmont will be the only two teams to make the Elite Eight and probably face each other in the Sweet 16 for the next 10 years. Take off the black & gold colored glasses. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they are wrong. Traditionally, coaches who follow Hall of Famers do not produce the same results. PSA to everyone on the board, don't say anything but positive things about WLU and the MEC or you'll be labeled as a doubter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                  Charleston could be pretty good this coming season. They had 3 good freshman last year that by the end of the season, 2 of them were starting and the other playing good minutes. We all know who they beat en route to the MEC conference finals also.

Along with the young guys I know at least of one transfer they picked up from UNC Ashville that is going to be a good (maybe very good) D2 player...WL, Jesuit, and others all wanted this kid but he chose Charleston because of UCs newly hired assistant. Before anyone says it...the assistant was not hired just to get the transfer haha.
                  I just think that Charleston is a roller coaster. What else can you be when you take almost all transfers? Maybe they will be good, but I think it is Fairmont's to lose. Then some combination of WL, Shep, Concord, and ND.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post

I am assuming the transfer is Drew Rackley from New Concord Ohio, who is a really strong player.
                    In looking at the roster, it looks like only 4 out of 8 underclassmen from last year are still on the team. There was a large amount of turnover the previous year. Do you know the reasons for the turnover? Is it the coach's strategy?

Comment

Why are you so defensive? I get the sarcasm, but you're probably right. You guys will win 25 games every year and so will Fairmont. I am sure that you or Fairmont will be the only two teams to make the Elite Eight and probably face each other in the Sweet 16 for the next 10 years. Take off the black & gold colored glasses. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they are wrong. Traditionally, coaches who follow Hall of Famers do not produce the same results. PSA to everyone on the board, don't say anything but positive things about WLU and the MEC or you'll be labeled as a doubter.
                      Message boards are for disagreements. You posted your opinion and I posted mine. As for "tradition" many have doubted WLU and the MEC in the past but somehow, we always seem to be in the thick of it, new coaches, graduations and transfers or not.

If you bring a strong opinion, expect other posters to have an equally strong opinion that runs counter to yours. Thats what makes message boards entertaining!!

Comment

With the information I have on rosters(some of it isn't out yet) here is an early guess on what I can imagine happening in the region.

PSAC
                        West-
                        1. IUP(Clear #1, nobody else close)
                        2. Slippery Rock( they lost a lot, and even the guys outsiders think are returning aren't locks) but still should be good
                        3. CalU- They lost a lot, but gained one of the clear-cut best coaches in the conference along with a talented(but young) roster
                        4. Gannon- you can put them 3, but lose their best player in ZJ, but have some really good returners(Frank Webb, Daryl Porter(depending on his spot in the dog house))
                        5. Mercyhurst- have some good incoming players, along with a couple decent returners. The hardest team to prepare for in the conference as well, especially at their place.
                        6. UPJ- have some good incoming players, but this is strictly because of the terrific coaching
                        7.Seton Hill- 5-7 was difficult and Seton Hill could be much better depending on coaching, and if they found complimentary players around Blondin, Lecuona.
                        8. Clarion- could be decent with a couple nice JUCO pickups, but the priority seems to be the 19-20 season.
                        9. Edinboro- Lost two of the elite players in the conference, but have one coming back in Anthony Coleman. Just not a whole lot else.

East
                        This division is going to be a dogfight, night in and out and some good young players could step up and make these predictions irrelevant.
                        1. West Chester- lost two players from a terrific team, should be very good
                        2. East Stroudsburg- lost some horses from an Elite 8 team along with an All-American caliber leader Steve Harris, but got some big commits to play along with a talented returning group
                        3-4 is tossup for me but ill go with this:
                        3. Shippensburg- lost the best player in the region, along with a talented wing and their PG, BUT will have some talented returners and should be able to reasonably fill all the shoes except those of Sleva.
                        4. Kutztown- have one of the best underclassman in the conference(Moe Williams) and a dude in Anthony Lee but lost the best passer in the country and their 5-man.
                        5. Millersville
                        6. Bloom
                        7. Mansfield
                        8. Lock Haven

MEC-
                        1. Fairmont State- should be the class of the conference
                        2. WLU- Lost a lot, but they can't fall too far. Dalton Bolon will win a conference player of the year award before he graduates
                        3. Glenville State- will make a massive improvement because of the coaching change. Will have horses on the roster, their record depends entirely on continuity of the players
                        4. UC- can be way better than people think. Good group of returners with a good recruiting class
                        5. Concord- will have the #1 stud, but what else?
                        6. Notre Dame- they have some decent incoming players, and can make my ranking irrelevant if Vorhees laces them up the whole season
                        I don't have a good gauge after that

CIAA
                        VSU to my knowledge will be the class of the conference

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          Message boards are for disagreements. You posted your opinion and I posted mine. As for "tradition" many have doubted WLU and the MEC in the past but somehow, we always seem to be in the thick of it, new coaches, graduations and transfers or not.

If you bring a strong opinion, expect other posters to have an equally strong opinion that runs counter to yours. Thats what makes message boards entertaining!!
                          I wouldn't call it a strong opinion by saying that after losing a hall of fame coach, your program will take a dip. It is pretty typical throughout history that it tends to repeat itself. But maybe WL will be the exception to that rule.

Comment

[QUOTE=Anon2017;2241295]With the information I have on rosters(some of it isn't out yet) here is an early guess on what I can imagine happening in the region.

PSAC
                            West-
                            2. Slippery Rock( they lost a lot, and even the guys outsiders think are returning aren't locks) but still should be good
                            3. CalU- They lost a lot, but gained one of the clear-cut best coaches in the conference along with a talented(but young) roster
                            4. Gannon- you can put them 3, but lose their best player in ZJ, but have some really good returners(Frank Webb, Daryl Porter(depending on his spot in the dog house))
                            5. Mercyhurst- have some good incoming players, along with a couple decent returners. The hardest team to prepare for in the conference as well, especially at their place.
                            6. UPJ- have some good incoming players, but this is strictly because of the terrific coaching
                            7.Seton Hill- 5-7 was difficult and Seton Hill could be much better depending on coaching, and if they found complimentary players around Blondin, Lecuona.
                            8. Clarion- could be decent with a couple nice JUCO pickups, but the priority seems to be the 19-20 season.
                            9. Edinboro- Lost two of the elite players in the conference, but have one coming back in Anthony Coleman. Just not a whole lot else.

-------------------------

Good thoughts.

Rock and Boro are wild cards ... and both are being exceptionally hush on their rosters.

Cleary really has a knack for finding players off scrap heaps. Coleman is solid but also greatly benefited from having two senior, star guards beside him. He'll be the focus of the defense this year. I forget his name but their true freshman guard from last year has some promise. Staunch, if he plays, wrecks some havoc. Until the roster is revealed it's too hard to grasp them.

As long as Till returns SRU will be tough. The others are replaceable. KR is a professional reloader.

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;2241328]
                              Originally posted by Anon2017 View Post
                              With the information I have on rosters(some of it isn't out yet) here is an early guess on what I can imagine happening in the region.

PSAC
                              West-

-------------------------

Good thoughts.

Rock and Boro are wild cards ... and both are being exceptionally hush on their rosters.

Cleary really has a knack for finding players off scrap heaps. Coleman is solid but also greatly benefited from having two senior, star guards beside him. He'll be the focus of the defense this year. I forget his name but their true freshman guard from last year has some promise. Staunch, if he plays, wrecks some havoc. Until the roster is revealed it's too hard to grasp them.

As long as Till returns SRU will be tough. The others are replaceable. KR is a professional reloader.
                              Slippery Rock has some nice pieces including a good local HS player, but they aren't wild cards. They will be good without being elite, Edinboro is the opposite of a wild card. They aren't going to be good, and it's not the basketball programs fault. The funding is going to be abysmal, the head assistant literally went to the women's side to work for a better funded program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X