Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC WEST

Times have changed. The once-mighty West is hurting.

The West went 21-24 against the East this year so far. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.

The West is 49-41 overall to this point -- with 13 of the wins coming against either PSU-branches or other D3 opponents.

Some (low) highlights:

* California and Edinboro, two traditionally solid programs, are a combined 6-14 (1-9 vs the East).

* Mercyhurst lost at home to a then 0-10 Roberts Wesleyan

* Cal lost at home to a then winless Cheyney (Wolves' lone win so far)

* UPJ, a preseason 'buzz' team, lost to MEC bottom-feeder Urbana

* The lone 'signature' win so far would be IUP's win against Kutztown

This was kind of looking like a rebuilding year for the West as a whole. There were some major roster overhauls across the league. Add to it Seton Hill losing its top player to alleged academics and it's been a rough start.

On the positive, Slippery Rock is getting better (right on its normal schedule). Gannon appears to be back from the 2015-16 Dead. My guess is you see a lot of .500 records in West play.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM.

Re: PSAC WEST

We'll be back...not sure just when, but we'll be back.

Comment

It will be a strange year in the West. The West does host the PSAC Final Four this year.

We usually see a couple of very good to possibly great teams, and many good teams, plus a bottom feeder or two. This year, we have a few good teams and a lot of bad teams (like Edinboro, who is giving up 88 points per game). It will be interesting to see who comes out of that scrum to host the PSAC semis & finals. The December 30 Gannon / IUP game could set the tone for the rest of the season.

The women's side is an entirely different story. The West is 36-9 against the East to date. The top East team is 2-3 in the PSAC. The rise of Mercyhurst, Clarion, and Slippery Rock has offset the fall of Gannon, who is 3-2 against the East and 0-6 against everyone else. The thud of Bloomsburg doesn't help the east, either.

Comment

The WBB tournament will likely be played before a largely empty house since it seems probable that the final four will be 4 west teams playing in an east venue. Won't happen but the venue should be chosen on the basis of which division wins the crossover series, not by alternating year to year.

Comment

I have heard rumors that the west has more scholarships then the east in wbb. I would like to believe this isn't true. However, the huge lopsided records against each other make me think it is.

Comment

Golden89 ... I haven't recovered from that PSAC Final Four two years ago yet. No offense to the Hammermill but I'm not ready to return yet ... it's still too soon. haha. What a final game that was. That loss sparked IUP all the way to the national championship, though, so it wasn't all bad. I still can't believe SRU knocked you guys off the next week. That's still shocking two years later.

You're certainly right. Next Friday night is a biggie. The KCAC, while spectacular, isn't a great home-court advantage crowd-wise. The Hammermill, when it's cooking, certainly is. That place can get deafening when it's wound up.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              The WBB tournament will likely be played before a largely empty house since it seems probable that the final four will be 4 west teams playing in an east venue. Won't happen but the venue should be chosen on the basis of which division wins the crossover series, not by alternating year to year.
              The scenario you describe is not possible. The quarter-finals are played within the divisions (E4/5 at E1, E3/6 at E2, same for west). The semis cross over, meaning that two east teams will be alive for the semis.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                The scenario you describe is not possible. The quarter-finals are played within the divisions (E4/5 at E1, E3/6 at E2, same for west). The semis cross over, meaning that two east teams will be alive for the semis.
                This year "alive" seems to be a relative term.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                  I have heard rumors that the west has more scholarships then the east in wbb. I would like to believe this isn't true. However, the huge lopsided records against each other make me think it is.
                  I think that at least on paper the PSAC East has traditionally been at scholarship disadvantage for years now compared to their PSAC West brethren. I know that in football East schools like Bloom, West Chest, and Ship report a mere 5-10 scholies compared to 20-30 some for West schools like Gannon, Mercy, IUP, Cal, and Rock. But I find it more than a trite odd that those aforementioned East schools seem to field very quality teams year in and year out. My guess is there is a major difference here in how scholarships are tabulated between the two divisions.

I think the big problem for some of these PSAC WBB teams at the moment is a major downgrade in coaching and program operation. They lost some very quality coaches as did Gannon in the West and they are paying for it now.

Comment

West play kicks off Friday. It's going to be an interesting race. A quick review of the first half and of what lies ahead (in order of current standings):

IUP (4-1, 9-2)
                    Best Win: Kutztown -- Devon Cottrell was in the right place at the right time when it mattered most. Probably the teams best overall showing of the year.
                    Worst loss: Shippensburg -- After taking lead late in the second half, coming from 19 down, the Hawks misfired on their last 4 possesions. IUP also played a dismal first half on both ends.
                    Looking ahead: The games are going to get slower now. IUP won't see the speed of a Fairmont, Ship or Kutztown for a long while. Instead, IUP will be seeing the ground-em, pound-em style. The Hawks should be favored in the vast majority of the 16 West games. You'd have to expect a slip-up game and probably one upset along the way. Anything less than 13-3 in West play would probably be a disappointment based on the talent level. The sloppy play (still) needs cleaned up. Big comebacks are great to watch ... but this team has to stop putting itself in that position.

Slippery Rock (3-2, 7-4)
                    Best Win: Shepherd & West Chester
                    Worst loss: Daemen
                    Looking ahead: Based on (literally) fielding an entire new roster for this season, the 7-4 record isn't too bad. The Rock was blown out by the top three teams it has played (Wheeling, Kutztown and Shippensburg) but has won four straight heading into Friday's trip to Seton Hill. Kevin Reynolds' teams get better as the season goes and there is talent on the roster.

Gannon (3-2, 5-4)
                    Best win: Bowie State
                    Worst loss: Wheeling Jesuit (hard to call a loss at WJ the worst but Gannon should have never lost the game -- for a variety of reasons)
                    Looking ahead: Gannon is no longer the 2015 version of the Island of Misfit Toys. Most of them are at LeMoyne now. John Reilly has turned things around (surprisingly) quickly. The Knights don't have a signature win yet but were very competitive in losses to West Chester, East Stroudsburg and Wheeling Jesuit. Gannon has a legit shot to win in the KCAC on Friday night. The game may be on Dec. 30 ... but it's a BIG one for both teams. Gannon's size and defensive pressure will cause lots of problems for West opponents.

Mercyhurst (3-2, 5-4)
                    Best win: West Chester
                    Worst loss: Roberts Wesleyan
                    Looking ahead: Entering West play losing 2 of last 3 ... including a dreadful home loss to a then 0-10 Roberts Wesleyan ... Appears to be a typical team in a combination of rebuilding/reloading. The Lakers have looked good at times (OT loss at Notre Dame, close loss against East Stroudsburg and the West Chester win) and bad at times (loss at Millersville, tight game with Cheyney). Mercyhurst never goes away. Its been close in losses to very good teams. Look for the Lakers to go on a run soon. The trip to Lock Haven on Friday is a must win.

Clarion (3-2, 5-5)
                    Best win: Davis & Elkins
                    Worst loss: Several similar
                    Looking ahead: Clarion's been a strange team. Its best performance was likely the 12-point loss at Fairmont State. The 5 wins lack much punch. The other losses include blowout defeats at East Stroudsburg, West Chester and West Liberty. Regardless, the Golden Eagles have played a very strong non-conference schedule and have won 4 of 5 contests. Depth will be the main issue. The starting five is pretty solid. The bench is pretty thin. They showed some fight at West Liberty losing by 17 points.

UPJ (2-3, 7-4)
                    Best win: Alderson Broaddus
                    Worst loss: Urbana, Mansfield
                    Looking ahead: Strange season thus far in Johnstown ... real close losses to ESU and Kutztown ... and some real struggles with lesser opponents. No signature wins yet for the Mountain Cats. With Clarion and IUP up next, we should learn a bit more.

Seton Hill (2-3, 5-4)
                    Best win: Mansfield
                    Worst loss: Lock Haven
                    Looking ahead: The loss of Trevor Blondin was well documented and major. The Griffins appear to slowly be recovering and forming a new identity. The last two outings were both pretty close losses to Shippensburg and Kutztown. Promising signs. Slippery Rock visits Greensburg Friday night. That's a very interesting game for both teams.

Edinboro (1-4, 3-6)
                    Best win: Lake Erie
                    Worst loss: Daemen
                    Looking ahead: To Edinboro's credit, the schedule has been incredibly difficult. The Fighting Scots have played Shippensburg, ESU, West Chester and Notre Dame. There hasn't been much defense played, either. Edinboro has given up 100+ on three occasions -- very rare for a West team. Also telling is the Scots gave up 81 points in a tight victory over Cheyney -- a team Slippery Rock held to just 36 points. The story here has been pretty clear: Stop Jaymon Mason (21.7 ppg) and there hasn't been much else to worry about so far.

California (0-5, 3-8)
                    Best win: Davis & Elkins
                    Worst loss: Cheyney
                    Looking ahead: The Vulcans are in a total rebuilding phase with their new coach (who inherited a roster of players probably not real suited to run his more up-tempo style). Cal has shown some life, however. The Vulcans played with Shippensburg in a recent 78-72 loss and stayed in the games with Kutztown and Ashland. Cal won't finish last in the West ... look for them to be in the .500 range in West play.
                    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-28-2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                      I think that at least on paper the PSAC East has traditionally been at scholarship disadvantage for years now compared to their PSAC West brethren. I know that in football East schools like Bloom, West Chest, and Ship report a mere 5-10 scholies compared to 20-30 some for West schools like Gannon, Mercy, IUP, Cal, and Rock. But I find it more than a trite odd that those aforementioned East schools seem to field very quality teams year in and year out. My guess is there is a major difference here in how scholarships are tabulated between the two divisions.

I think the big problem for some of these PSAC WBB teams at the moment is a major downgrade in coaching and program operation. They lost some very quality coaches as did Gannon in the West and they are paying for it now.
                      I'm not sure about all sports but when you hear it from three coaches from wbb east programs it is hard to not to believe them. As far as bloom wbb is concerned, 2 d1 tranfers were let go in the middle of last season. Also, the best freshman transferred after cleary accepted a job at Colgate. Totally unfair to criticize the incoming coach. Gannon was a train wreck from year one. I think the iup wbb assistant would look real good in the hammer mill. Just saying

Comment

I'm not sure about all sports but when you hear it from three coaches from wbb east programs it is hard to not to believe them. As far as bloom wbb is concerned, 2 d1 tranfers were let go in the middle of last season. Also, the best freshman transferred after cleary accepted a job at Colgate. Totally unfair to criticize the incoming coach.
                        Sounds like she brought to Bloom What she had at Mansfield. But I don't know---maybe the cupboard was bare.

Gannon was a train wreck from year one. I think the iup wbb assistant would look real good in the hammer mill. Just saying
                        Bloom was plain NUTS to not chase after Kelly Mazzante. She should be a hot coaching commodity as soon as this offseason.

Comment

There are some really intriguing men's games tonight in the PSAC.

Gannon at No. 21 IUP

No. 18 Shippensburg at No. 13 Kutztown

Slippery Rock at Seton Hill

Clarion at UPJ

Cal at Edinboro

Those are all pretty hard games to pick. I think you could make a case for all those teams to win tonight.

The big women's game tonight is Cal (11-0) at Edinboro (9-2). It's weird leaving IUP/Gannon off the women's list.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-30-2016, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            There are some really intriguing men's games tonight in the PSAC.

Gannon at No. 21 IUP

No. 18 Shippensburg at No. 13 Kutztown

Slippery Rock at Seton Hill

Clarion at UPJ

Cal at Edinboro

Those are all pretty hard games to pick. I think you could make a case for all those teams to win tonight.

The big women's game tonight is Cal (11-0) at Edinboro (9-2). It's weird leaving IUP/Gannon off the women's list.
                            Iup women's game is big. A bad loss can hurt a ncaa bubble team. I'm assuming with their record so far it would be a reasonable goal. Side note on gu women. An early recruit from last year and current freshmen is no longer on the roster and a new player has been added. No reason given. Hopefully it's not the beginning of another mass exodus.

Comment

Iup women's game is big. A bad loss can hurt a ncaa bubble team. I'm assuming with their record so far it would be a reasonable goal. Side note on gu women. An early recruit from last year and current freshmen is no longer on the roster and a new player has been added. No reason given. Hopefully it's not the beginning of another mass exodus.
                              If Brunelli keeps his job beyond this season then he has survival skills on par with Rasputin.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X