Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRU @ Cal 1/9

Hoping for a "big" maybe 500 person crowd tonight, should be a good matchup, the Vulcans are playing really well of late and the Rock seems to be finding a groove.

Re: SRU @ Cal 1/9

Originally posted by CALU_Crazies View Post
    Hoping for a "big" maybe 500 person crowd tonight, should be a good matchup, the Vulcans are playing really well of late and the Rock seems to be finding a groove.
    A nice crowd would be a pleasant surprise for these guys who are giving their all. But THE ROCK isn't worried about this game. With IUP showing up @ MFH on Saturday, they'll pick up the W and then start working toward the biggest game of the year so far.

Comment

Good thing that arena seats 6,000 and takes up half of campus.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :)

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Good thing that arena seats 6,000 and takes up half of campus.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :)

I don't know of any CalU fans, or alumni who think we needed the new gym, the angelo dome will go down as one of the biggest wastes of money in school history.

Comment

I don't know of any CalU fans, or alumni who think we needed the new gym, the angelo dome will go down as one of the biggest wastes of money in school history.
          Not entirely true. Say what you will about DR ARMENTI, he certainly saw things on a grand scale. The university on his watch had surely outgrown HAMER as a site for graduation and some other events. I still and always will prefer HH for basketball. That said if a new structure was to be built, what were the options. A larger version of STEELE ? A larger version of HAMER ? Or a venue that could suit both needs and add classroom and office space. He chose the latter and I feel that more than a few potential students and their parents have been impressed with the grandiose vision it presents at the end of 3rd St. Did he spend more than was absolutely necessary? Perhaps. But I wish they had saved what they spent on the PARKING GARAGE(is it still there?) and at least 3 buildings I could name from my days on campus that no longer exist. What they really need is a top notch promoter who can book acts that are capable of filling the space 6-12 times a year. I prefer to think of the A-DOME as underutilized rather than overbuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
            Not entirely true. Say what you will about DR ARMENTI, he certainly saw things on a grand scale. The university on his watch had surely outgrown HAMER as a site for graduation and some other events. I still and always will prefer HH for basketball. That said if a new structure was to be built, what were the options. A larger version of STEELE ? A larger version of HAMER ? Or a venue that could suit both needs and add classroom and office space. He chose the latter and I feel that more than a few potential students and their parents have been impressed with the grandiose vision it presents at the end of 3rd St. Did he spend more than was absolutely necessary? Perhaps. But I wish they had saved what they spent on the PARKING GARAGE(is it still there?) and at least 3 buildings I could name from my days on campus that no longer exist. What they really need is a top notch promoter who can book acts that are capable of filling the space 6-12 times a year. I prefer to think of the A-DOME as underutilized rather than overbuilt.
            Your point about graduation is 100% spot on, since completion I have been to many graduation's at the convocation center. Many of which are still not close to capacity. To me the way in which it was built at 6000 seats, the grand high roof all make it seem much to big. IUP and the KCAC fit much better for the needs of the PSAC school. if you remove 1500 or 2000 seats at Cal you still have the room for any event you may want to put on.

Angelo is a good man, I got to know him during my time at Cal, his ideas were spot on the economic decline in the 2000's took a toll on enrolment and at the end of the day the funds began to dry up.

I had my family at Cal last month for "the happy elf" play put on by the theater department, ( the kids did a great job). I saw they are working on the Tech Ed building and seem to be doing a lot of other work on the "back side" of campus, those building needed a facelift and an update in machines. I am excited to see what they look like when the work is finished.

Comment

Comment

The Angelo Dome isn't getting torn down any time soon.

Question is ... where did all the fans go?

The men have been getting about 175 a game in there the past several years.

Those games at Hamer used to pack the place back in the day. I was there 1-2 years ago and it was a home game for IUP ... probably a 4:1 ratio.

That place is just so monstrous that even when Cal starts winning again and the bandwagon types come back they'll still only draw 1,000 or 1,500 max. That's still just 20 percent capacity -- and 5,000 empty chairbacks.

It's a great facility. No doubt. I couldn't imagine what it would be like for a game with 6,000 in there. A ton of D1's would love to have it.

But, the top-drawing school in all of D2 averages just 3,700 a game. Scary to think that would still leave 2,300 seats empty down there.

You have to wonder what the operating expenses are just to keep the place functional.

Comment

Those games at Hamer used to pack the place back in the day. I was there 1-2 years ago and it was a home game for IUP ... probably a 4:1 ratio.

That place is just so monstrous that even when Cal starts winning again and the bandwagon types come back they'll still only draw 1,000 or 1,500 max. That's still just 20 percent capacity -- and 5,000 empty chairbacks.

It's a great facility. No doubt. I couldn't imagine what it would be like for a game with 6,000 in there. A ton of D1's would love to have it.

But, the top-drawing school in all of D2 averages just 3,700 a game. Scary to think that would still leave 2,300 seats empty down there.

You have to wonder what the operating expenses are just to keep the place functional.

Comment

I didn't say you said it. I just said it's not being torn down so might as well enjoy it. It can be the largest graduation arena in small college history.

Comment

We talked about the fan situation last night, the only answer we really had was a disconnect from young alumni. The older fans are dying off and we do not seem to have much of a 30-40yr old alumni support network coming to these games. I am 33 and I see myself as one of the very few of my generation who comes to games regularly. I don't have an answer but when you have more empty sections of seats than sections with people sitting in them its a bad situation.

Comment

We talked about the fan situation last night, the only answer we really had was a disconnect from young alumni. The older fans are dying off and we do not seem to have much of a 30-40yr old alumni support network coming to these games. I am 33 and I see myself as one of the very few of my generation who comes to games regularly. I don't have an answer but when you have more empty sections of seats than sections with people sitting in them its a bad situation.
                        Out of curiosity, is it possible that the 30-40 year old Alumni have been forced to go elsewhere for jobs and are, thus, not ABLE to get back to games? Fayette County isn't exactly a hotbed for growth right now, so is it possible that your Alumni are simply farther away?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                          Out of curiosity, is it possible that the 30-40 year old Alumni have been forced to go elsewhere for jobs and are, thus, not ABLE to get back to games? Fayette County isn't exactly a hotbed for growth right now, so is it possible that your Alumni are simply farther away?
                          this is 100% true, for myself its almost an hour each way to the games. I try and come back when I can but its not for every game because of kids, work and life.

Comment

It doesn't help matters much when the on-campus students would rather hit the "bars" (such as they are) in town than watch mediocre basketball ... or, for that matter, basketball on campus PERIOD.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X