Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nabc-d2 top 25 poll - 1/24

I'd say the Atlantic is well represented ...

Men's Top 25

2. Fairmont State
    3. West Liberty
    5. Shippensburg
    6. IUP
    9. Wheeling Jesuit
    11. Kutztown

Re: Nabc-d2 top 25 poll - 1/24

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'd say the Atlantic is well represented ...

Men's Top 25

2. Fairmont State
    3. West Liberty
    5. Shippensburg
    6. IUP
    9. Wheeling Jesuit
    11. Kutztown
    I wonder if that is unprecedented or not? 6 teams from the same region in the top 11. I know the MW region has had their share of deep regions in recent years, maybe one of those dedicated followers, can see if the MW ever had 6 in the top 11. That's actually pretty crazy. It could mean that it's a deep region, or it could mean that it's top heavy and bottom heavy, with no tweeners to speak of....

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
      I wonder if that is unprecedented or not? 6 teams from the same region in the top 11. I know the MW region has had their share of deep regions in recent years, maybe one of those dedicated followers, can see if the MW ever had 6 in the top 11. That's actually pretty crazy. It could mean that it's a deep region, or it could mean that it's top heavy and bottom heavy, with no tweeners to speak of....
      This is just my theory on this, and I'm sure Atlantic Regioners would disagree, but I lean toward the latter here. If there were tweeners, you'd see some of those dominant schools getting picked off more frequently by a few of those teams who are good enough to win big games but still bad enough that they can lose "should-win" games to lower-tier teams. If the dominant teams stay relatively dominant from beginning to end of conference play, it would seem somewhat safer to assume that those non-dominant teams aren't sneaking away with wins against your best teams for a reason (they really aren't good).

That being said, there's no real way to gauge that. For all I/we know, all six of the teams you just listed could be National Championship-caliber teams. Just my thoughts on it.

Comment

I'd agree. Ultimately the poll is window dressing and doesn't mean a whole lot.

Do I think these are six of the 11 best teams in the country? No. Six of the Top 25? Yes.

The PSAC and MEC are both good leagues but this year more than others you could probably say the drop off from the 'A' teams to the 'B' teams is steeper than past years.

Knock on wood none of the six has experienced an 'upset' yet, either. But, it's coming. Always does.

Wheeling lost to WL and Fairmont (both in OT). IUP lost to Fairmont (OT) and Shippensburg (final minute). WL lost to Fairmont (final minute), and Kutztown lost to IUP (final shot) and Ship.

So, all the (thrilling) losses are within this 'Top 11' so far.

The MEC trio all plays again in the regular season and two will likely meet again in the conference tournament.

Ship and Kutz play again in the regular season. IUP does not play any of the other five in the regular season. As of today, anyway, IUP is on pace to host the PSAC Tournament.

If I had to bet on one team running the table, I'd lean toward Shippensburg.

If that's the case Ship likely hosts the regional ... and it will be a wild one.

Comment

For this year, I feel the D2SIDA Top 25 better represents the Atlantic Region at this point. It is the poll's 3rd year of existence by the D2's SIDs and seems much more in line with things overall...

Here is its Top 25:

2016-17 DII Media Poll Sponsored by D2SIDA (Jan. 24)
          Rank School (First Place Votes) Record Points Previous
          1 Northwest Missouri (14) 18-0 350 1
          2 Fairmont State 18-0 334 2
          3 California Baptist 17-0 315 3
          4 Shippensburg 17-0 282 7
          5 Queens 17-1 280 4
          6 Bellarmine 16-3 259 15
          7 West Liberty 17-1 248 T-8
          8 Southern Indiana 18-1 234 5
          9 Tarleton State 16-3 234 T-8
          10 Barry 15-2 231 6
          11 Western Washington 15-3 178 18
          12 Arkansas -Monticello 14-1 172 11
          13 Lincoln Memorial 14-4 162 17
          14 Wheeling Jesuit 16-2 139 13
          15 UT-Permian Basin 14-4 102 NR
          16 MSU-Moorhead 17-3 101 23
          17 Ferris State 15-3 98 25
          18 West Texas A&M 18-4 91 10
          19 Hawai'i Pacific 18-1 85 RV
          20 Chico State 16-3 84 14
          21 Valdosta State 14-3 81 NR
          22 St. Thomas Aquinas 15-4 72 RV
          23 Indiana (PA) 17-2 67 22
          24 Augusta (Ga.) 15-3 50 RV
          25 Wisconsin-Parkside 15-3 40 12

Also receiving Votes:
          Southern New Hampshire (36), Texas A&M Commerce (36), Kutztown (20), Limestone (18), Eckerd (17), Saint Rose (15), UC San Diego (12), Southwest Minnesota State (12), Kentucky Wesleyan (7), Quincy (7), UNC Pembroke (5), Findlay (3), San Francisco State (2).

Comment

They're both popularity contests based on records and past reputatioms. Take the top 2 for instance ... all 14 voters are that sure NWMS is better than Fairmont?

There is also a fairly substantial difference between the two polls.

In this case they achieved their only real purpose ... people are talking about them. I would like to see the polls, if they are going to exist, correlate to the regional rankings.

Comment

#
              Last edited by pennbraz; 01-24-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Can't find a link to the D2SIDA. As there appear to be 14 first place votes, am I correct in assuming that there are 14 voters?

Comment

The D2SIDA has 2 regional voters from each conference for the regional polls and then, as far as I know, there are 2 of those 6 regional voters for the national poll. I know that doesn't add up to 14 so not sure the difference in numbers, but do know 3 of the 6 voters of the Atlantic Region in it.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    They're both popularity contests based on records and past reputatioms. Take the top 2 for instance ... all 14 voters are that sure NWMS is better than Fairmont?

There is also a fairly substantial difference between the two polls.

In this case they achieved their only real purpose ... people are talking about them. I would like to see the polls, if they are going to exist, correlate to the regional rankings.
                    One factor weighing in NWMSU's favor is the fact that they have Justin Pitts on their roster and he's basically an alien. If NWMSU makes the Elite Eight this year (they've lost in the Regional Championship three straight years now), I'll be very surprised if Pitts isn't the National Player of the Year. And he's a junior.

Comment

1/31/2017 NABC Poll

Atlantic Region Teams

2. Fairmont State (20-0)
                      3. West Liberty (19-1)
                      5. IUP (19-2)
                      9. Shippensburg (18-1)
                      10. Kutztown (16-2)
                      16. Wheeling Jesuit (17-3)

Of note:

Kutztown and Shippensburg play tonight. Fairmont hosts Wheeling Jesuit tonight and plays at West Liberty on Saturday.

Comment

Updated poll - 2/7/2017

2 WEST LIBERTY
                        4 IUP
                        5 FAIRMONT STATE
                        9 KUTZTOWN
                        13 SHIPPENSBURG
                        18 WHEELING JESUIT

Comment

Ad3

Collapse