• Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

So that would kind of covers students in the first two+ years of college. Isn't one of the requirements from the HEC was for WU to develop more formal Teach-Out and Exit Plans for students IF WU actually closed? Pretty sure the due date for those plans has passed and since continued accreditation by the HEC was contingent on providing those plans, I think it's pretty safe to say that they met those deadlines.
    Yeah that's pretty standard. Just like if a school cuts an athletic program, affected students get to keep their athletic aid through graduation. So when a school cuts a program, its rare that they tell those students to go elsewhere or change their major.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Most schools limit the number of transfer credits to 60 so that the student is earning at least half of the 120 credits for their degree at the school where they finish.
    So that would kind of covers students in the first two+ years of college. Isn't one of the requirements from the HEC was for WU to develop more formal Teach-Out and Exit Plans for students IF WU actually closed? Pretty sure the due date for those plans has passed and since continued accreditation by the HEC was contingent on providing those plans, I think it's pretty safe to say that they met those deadlines.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I think the alumni do have a direct impact on weather a school survives or fails and that is through their contributions to the school.

My point is that people are all too quick to comment most vigorously on what a school should do when it is another school. When it is their school or a rival/conference member, they often are not quick to comment or advocate for a wait and see approach.

Market forces will indeed determine the fate of WU and almost every other school without an Ivy League size endowment.

I go back and forth on WU...I think WLU would certainly benefit overall from having WU disappear...But at the same time, I like the rivalry we have with them and I don't want them to go away...I also like the idea of a down trodden school that everyone seems to hope will just die already rising from the ashes and returning to success. Additionally, I find it an interesting case study into how to screw things up and POSSIBLY how to turn things around. So all and all, I guess I want WU to stay in business even though it would be better for WLU if they went out of business.

Here's a question that I don't have an answer for. Some have stated that they are concerned about credits transferring if WU goes out of business. My understanding is that credits earned from an accredited institution, and WU is accredited, are generally transferable. Wouldn't that mean that the students would be OK and all/most of their credits would transfer?
    Most schools limit the number of transfer credits to 60 so that the student is earning at least half of the 120 credits for their degree at the school where they finish.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    I think the alumni do have a direct impact on weather a school survives or fails and that is through their contributions to the school.

My point is that people are all too quick to comment most vigorously on what a school should do when it is another school. When it is their school or a rival/conference member, they often are not quick to comment or advocate for a wait and see approach.

Market forces will indeed determine the fate of WU and almost every other school without an Ivy League size endowment.

I go back and forth on WU...I think WLU would certainly benefit overall from having WU disappear...But at the same time, I like the rivalry we have with them and I don't want them to go away...I also like the idea of a down trodden school that everyone seems to hope will just die already rising from the ashes and returning to success. Additionally, I find it an interesting case study into how to screw things up and POSSIBLY how to turn things around. So all and all, I guess I want WU to stay in business even though it would be better for WLU if they went out of business.

Here's a question that I don't have an answer for. Some have stated that they are concerned about credits transferring if WU goes out of business. My understanding is that credits earned from an accredited institution, and WU is accredited, are generally transferable. Wouldn't that mean that the students would be OK and all/most of their credits would transfer?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Seems people are often willing to cull the herd when it's not their heard! Not talking about the school I went to? OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!! Not talking about a school that is a rival of mine?? OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!! When it is "your" school or when it's a rival...people (including me) often take more of an "it's complicated" or "let's wait and see" approach. Even though we are not talking apples to apples, Cheyney is probably the closest analog to WU along with Urbana and perhaps Mansfield. Each have been given years and years to enact what they hop(ed) would be their plan for redemption.

So how do we define the term "small school?" To someone who went to say UCF with over 66 THOUSAND students on campus, a school like Georgetown with ONLY 8 thousand students seems quite small...To someone from Georgetown, Washington & Lee at 1,800 students seems quite small...to a W&L alumni, the 40 some odd acres dedicated to the 752 full-time students attending Hodges University must seem like a total waist of money.

Of note, everyone's whipping boy for soooo many years Cheyney saw enrollment grow by 32% this year.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I guess I have missed the posts that show an emotional bias against WU staying open. I think folks on the board, who are on the outside looking in and with limited access to enrollment and financial information are thinking," If I were in charge, what would be a strategy for success?" and are hard pressed to see a viable non-political solution. Hope is not a viable strategy in any event (whether it is hoping to stay open or hoping they close). One could argue is that hope and/or denial has been the strategy of their administration for quite a few years.

I have not found where Wheeling gets any direct state aid to the institution. However, the students may get the WV Grant and the Promise Scholarship, which might be impacted if they close and their credits don't transfer. To their credit, the HEPC is requiring WU to have a viable transition plan to keep this from occurring.

However, Wheeling U has gotten federal grants. One famous one is NASA. WJU paid $2.3m In May 2015 to settle fraud and misuse of funds for Federal grant from NASA.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndwv/pr...uit-university

Independent of public or private school, there are too many small schools in the USA.
    [cue "Circle of Life" music]
    There will need to be a culling of the herd where only the strongest survive, whether they are public or private. Else, the large state universities could possibly swallow up their enrollment with branch campuses and online learning.

Seems people are often willing to cull the herd when it's not their heard! Not talking about the school I went to? OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!! Not talking about a school that is a rival of mine?? OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!! When it is "your" school or when it's a rival...people (including me) often take more of an "it's complicated" or "let's wait and see" approach. Even though we are not talking apples to apples, Cheyney is probably the closest analog to WU along with Urbana and perhaps Mansfield. Each have been given years and years to enact what they hop(ed) would be their plan for redemption.

So how do we define the term "small school?" To someone who went to say UCF with over 66 THOUSAND students on campus, a school like Georgetown with ONLY 8 thousand students seems quite small...To someone from Georgetown, Washington & Lee at 1,800 students seems quite small...to a W&L alumni, the 40 some odd acres dedicated to the 752 full-time students attending Hodges University must seem like a total waist of money.

Of note, everyone's whipping boy for soooo many years Cheyney saw enrollment grow by 32% this year.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't know about that but WU is getting more press on here than any other irrelevant program in message board history.

FYI, Cheyney is no longer in the PSAC.
    True, but they are still in the PASSHE and are taking money that could be used to prop up other public schools that are still in the PSAC.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

I don't know about that but WU is getting more press on here than any other irrelevant program in message board history.

Hopefully, you know the whole story that brings us to here. My awareness of WJU/WU prior to May of '18 was an limited to their WBB and VB programs that had run into CAL U programs from time to time. At that time a small thread popped up about the sudden firing of DANNY SANCOMB who just months before led the CARDINALS to the MEC championship. Didn't mean much to me until the VULCANS had their coach resign unexpectedly after 1 season. Rumor floated about CAL U hiring DS, with a fair amount of potential issues, and sure enough that happened. Then WJU started to implode over all manner of financial problems. This certainly was not anything I wished for or really even cared about except that I'd been dragged into the entire soap opera. Now it's running like a decent NETFLIX series and here we are. If I didn't express myself clearly, the speculation about WU closing and potentially releasing an interesting basketball player was, as I said, wishful thinking on my part and nothing more.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

People do seem to be emotionally invested in WU closing. It's like they want it so bad that they can taste it. I can sort of understand this when it is a public school that is "taking" state funds from other state schools...like the situation unfolding in the PASSHE/PSAC with Cheyney and some of the other schools. In WU's situation, as a private school, they get no funding from the state so if they stay in business, doesn't really hurt any other MEC school.

Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-22-2019, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

People do seem to be emotionally invested in WU closing. It's like they want it so bad that they can taste it. I can sort of understand this when it is a public school that is "taking" state funds from other state schools...like the situation unfolding in the PASSHE/PSAC with Cheyney and some of the other schools. In WU's situation, as a private school, they get no funding from the state so if they stay in business, doesn't really hurt any other MEC school.
    I guess I have missed the posts that show an emotional bias against WU staying open. I think folks on the board, who are on the outside looking in and with limited access to enrollment and financial information are thinking," If I were in charge, what would be a strategy for success?" and are hard pressed to see a viable non-political solution. Hope is not a viable strategy in any event (whether it is hoping to stay open or hoping they close). One could argue is that hope and/or denial has been the strategy of their administration for quite a few years.

I have not found where Wheeling gets any direct state aid to the institution. However, the students may get the WV Grant and the Promise Scholarship, which might be impacted if they close and their credits don't transfer. To their credit, the HEPC is requiring WU to have a viable transition plan to keep this from occurring.

However, Wheeling U has gotten federal grants. One famous one is NASA. WJU paid $2.3m In May 2015 to settle fraud and misuse of funds for Federal grant from NASA.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndwv/pr...uit-university

Independent of public or private school, there are too many small schools in the USA.
    [cue "Circle of Life" music]
    There will need to be a culling of the herd where only the strongest survive, whether they are public or private. Else, the large state universities could possibly swallow up their enrollment with branch campuses and online learning.

Last edited by Columbuseer; 10-22-2019, 08:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Was thinking more about the school surviving really. True wishful thinking.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Don't confuse what I'm about to say with actually carrying about anything girls basketball related, but I would think Ritz "retransferring" would have more to do with the relationship surviving rather than the W/L record of the WU girls team.
    Was thinking more about the school surviving really. True wishful thinking.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Curiously the only WU player I card about is on the WBB roster. 6'1" center LILLY RITZ committed, enrolled and had her team photo taken at CAL U before deciding she couldn't be apart from her BF and transferred to WU. If things go off the rails in Wheeling, I hope she reconsiders her first choice.
    Don't confuse what I'm about to say with actually carrying about anything girls basketball related, but I would think Ritz "retransferring" would have more to do with the relationship surviving rather than the W/L record of the WU girls team.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X