Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIAA Tournament

Women's play has kicked off with Bowie blowing past FSU 69-50.

Games can be viewed on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNh...PDjvq1-ykn6i8g

Today's slate consist of 3 more women's games and 2 men's games tonight.

http://www.ciaatournament.org/tickets/game-schedule

Re: CIAA Tournament

Who are you picking on the men's side? Could a sleeper win it?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Who are you picking on the men's side? Could a sleeper win it?
      I'm thinking it will be one of the VA schools and more likely VA State. If I had to pick a sleeper I guess I would go with Chowan. Shaw might be able to run the table since they have a favorable seed, but I don't see anybody else in the South having much of a chance.

Comment

I know it's a down year for the Shaw women, but when was the last time they've been ousted in the first round of the tournament?
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          I know it's a down year for the Shaw women, but when was the last time they've been ousted in the first round of the tournament?
          You're right, this has been a very bad year for a team that traditionally is at least a regional and occasional national contender.

Comment

Bowie State (men) upset Virginia Union last night in the CIAA Tournament.

Comment

VSU should be the clear favorite now to win that tournament. Bowie state's record is a bit decieving. They lost to some of the top Mec and psac teams. If VSU doesn't win the tournament, will the CIAA team only get one team into the NCAA tournament?

Comment

Bowie seems to have that deceiving record every year. They are certainly a team you don't want to play late in the season ... always have enough good athletes and players that they can pull an upset at any time. Give them credit ... they play anybody anywhere.

If Bowie were to win it ... which is possible (they had a great series with VSU this year) ... that's a major curveball. Virginia Union, record-wise, still has a (now long-shot) case for an at-large. As would VSU. That would be interesting to watch the committee handle. My guess is it would spell doom for Shepherd. If Wheeling loses tomorrow and again in the MEC ... they'd have 8 losses.

Interesting stuff. Bowie causing some havoc.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-24-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                  If VSU doesn't win the tournament, will the CIAA team only get one team into the NCAA tournament?
                  Depends on what happens the rest of the way. Virginia State still has a case to make it if they make it to the championship game and lose. Wheeling and Shepherd could lose Saturday and could lose in the quarterfinals of the MEC tourney....that would be a big blow to them (although Wheeling has a 4-3 record against regional ranked teams). If the top three in the PSAC that are regionally ranked right now (IUP, Ship and Kutztown) make it to the semis of the PSAC tourney, that helps the CIAA because no upsets occurred along the way.

Still a lot of ball to be played.

Comment

The women's championship is set for tomorrow between Johnson C. Smith (10th in Atlantic Regional rankings), who ousted defending champion Virginia Union (2nd in region), and Virginia State, who rallied to beat Lincoln. I'd say that the CIAA gets two teams in, which doesn't bode well for the Edinboro women (currently 8th in the region). I wouldn't be shocked if CIAA gets three teams in should Virginia State win tomorrow.

On the men's side, Fayetteville State leads Virginia State 41-39 with 11:57 left in regulation. Winner gets Bowie State, who ousted Livingstone in the other semifinal.

Comment

VSU 54, Fayetteville 45 with 6:11 left in regulation ... then Fayetteville rips off 16 straight points over the ensuing five minutes to take a 61-54 lead with 1:35 left.

Not gonna lie ... the CIAA is in danger of being a one-bid league this season, but we'll see what happens on Wednesday when the new rankings come out.

Comment

Surprising final! Fayetteville State 70, Virginia State 61 ... CIAA may have just taken their 2 solid bids down to the 1 in the winner of Bowie State (15-14) vs. Fayetteville State (13-15)

Comment

FINAL: Fayetteville State 70, Virginia State 61

Looks like two new champions will be crowned in Charlotte tomorrow night.

Comment

Not a fan of the automatic bid. This just doesn't work on the d2 format. You could have taken the original eight into the NCAA tournament and nobody would have had any real argument against it. Two or three days of good basketball doesn't equal months of consistent good basketball. VU and VSU are not going to the NCAA unless a few other teams totally collapse.

i would guess two CIAA women's teams. Maybe only one from the Mec after wheeling lost on Thursday. Four from the psac west should go. Shippensburg is the most overrated with four of their losses coming against psac west teams. If they were in the psac west they would be a six seed. Maybe another upset comes out of the Mec but there is no chance an unranked team wins the psac.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                              Not a fan of the automatic bid. This just doesn't work on the d2 format. You could have taken the original eight into the NCAA tournament and nobody would have had any real argument against it. Two or three days of good basketball doesn't equal months of consistent good basketball. VU and VSU are not going to the NCAA unless a few other teams totally collapse.

i would guess two CIAA women's teams. Maybe only one from the Mec after wheeling lost on Thursday. Four from the psac west should go. Shippensburg is the most overrated with four of their losses coming against psac west teams. If they were in the psac west they would be a six seed. Maybe another upset comes out of the Mec but there is no chance an unranked team wins the psac.
                              I'd say that Cal, IUP, Ship and Mercyhurst are pretty much the four from the PSAC who get in, with at least Virginia Union and JCSU locks from the CIAA, and Glenville from the MEC. Hurst's win over Cal Wednesday night might be enough to get them off the bubble, while Edinboro will probably have to get to the PSAC semis to have a chance to get in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X