Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Varsity Teams

Missouri Southern will have JV teams this year along with the regular men's and women's teams. Men's JV roster has a dozen or more players who as I understand it could get "called up" should the need arise such as injury, transfer, etc.

Anybody else doing this?

Anyone know more specifics such as rules/limits, other purposes, benefits or drawbacks?

Re: Junior Varsity Teams

No one in the NSIC does it, as far as I know. Around here, it's more of a D3 thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
      Missouri Southern will have JV teams this year along with the regular men's and women's teams. Men's JV roster has a dozen or more players who as I understand it could get "called up" should the need arise such as injury, transfer, etc.

Anybody else doing this?

Anyone know more specifics such as rules/limits, other purposes, benefits or drawbacks?
      It's more common at private schools...and not just in basketball. The primary benefit is it's a revenue boost to the school - it's a whole team of student-athletes that are paying to go to school that might not be there otherwise. Drury doesn't have a JV team for basketball, but they do for baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        No one in the NSIC does it, as far as I know. Around here, it's more of a D3 thing.
        Northern's women field a "JV" team in hoops

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          Augie has one.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            Augie has one.
            Of course they do.

Comment

The Heart of America in the NAIA does this in baseball,basketball,and football. My opinion of this is the colleges are taking advantage of the kids who are not quite good enough to be on varsity teams at other colleges or 2 year schools. These NAIA are twice the price of the state colleges and many times more expensive than the JR.Colleges but they provide naive high school athletes and parents a way to say im on the college team. Lets face it if the varsity teams or JC s are not putting you on those teams your future in sports is the rec leagues, its tough when those days come but the reality except for 10 percent of the high school athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
                The Heart of America in the NAIA does this in baseball,basketball,and football. My opinion of this is the colleges are taking advantage of the kids who are not quite good enough to be on varsity teams at other colleges or 2 year schools. These NAIA are twice the price of the state colleges and many times more expensive than the JR.Colleges but they provide naive high school athletes and parents a way to say im on the college team. Lets face it if the varsity teams or JC s are not putting you on those teams your future in sports is the rec leagues, its tough when those days come but the reality except for 10 percent of the high school athletes.

I don't know about "taking advantage" as someone who coached at D3 for s small time and interacted with other coaches it's viewed more as being able to have kids that chose the school for academic reasons that can then go out for a sport. Mine wasn't one that you listed, but it have kids a good experience and of course all the other good things that athletics are supposed to be about. If you don't make varsity, then so be it, but you can still work hard and you end up having some that find out they can achieve more than they believed and earning that varsity spot is even sweeter. When you are a private school there is no state funds so the more kids you get on campus the better for the school. I will never feel bad for someone who makes the choice to spend an unaffordable amount on a school for a degree they could get elsewhere for a much more affordable price. It's their decision. One of the first things I talked to kids about is how we do not offer athletic scholarships, but we do for your academics and when it comes down to it, that should be what you chose a college for. It just happens to be that if you enjoy our school we have athletics and I will help you get to where you want to be athletically during your time to grow and learn and become the person you want to become professionally.

Comment

How do you take advantage of someone who voluntarily pays to be part of an activity?

Comment

An 18 year old student and the parents pay $30,000 to go to these private schools while I'm not knocking the academic part the facts are most of these athletes reached their peak in high school or would have been offered to bear on the varsity or two year schools teams. Most of the MIAA schools tuition and housing is very affordable compared to $30,0000. How many of these kids realize after 2 years of jv sports that they are not going to get a scholarship or be on the varsity. The kids choose to go to these schools sure I understand that, but how many 18 year Olds understand that hey I can go to school xyz state for 60-70k for 4 years and get the same education and not play varsity sports or go to private school ABC and spend 120,000K and play jv sports,and get the same academics. So 50,000K is a heavy price to pay. That's what I mean by advantage.

Comment

Obviously not every kid on the JV team will make the varsity team, but in Augie's case, two of the JV kids played up on varsity for most of last year.

Kind of a cool story, but one of the two, Danny Butherus, apparently was the very first kid to commit to the JV program when it started a few years ago. Not only did he get to be on the varsity roster most of the year (maybe all year), but he was also able to travel to the Duke game at the start of this past season and play a few minutes in Cameron Indoor. Maybe he didn't get to play four years of varsity basketball, but I would think it was still a pretty cool experience for a kid who was probably going to come to Augustana anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                        Of course they do.
                        Jealousy is never a good look for you, simple. ;)

Comment

Cool for these kids,just saying financially it doesn't make a lot of sense to be a jv player, unless that was the school of choice.Sure a few may get moved up but every year talented freshman are coming into these schools and being put on the varsity because of athletic ability. If you start out on jv in college chances are not good that you will be a main player. While it's fun being on the team and a good resume piece one must decide if its monetarily feasible before committing to these schools. My main point is don't go to a school to become a jv player unless you would have went their anyway. Now Missouri Southern is not private and their rates are basically the same as any state school in Missouri and their fore are most likely not padding enrollment by getting a basketball player on the jv team, the way that the private schools are fielding jv teams of paying players.

Comment

An 18 year old student and the parents pay $30,000 to go to these private schools while I'm not knocking the academic part the facts are most of these athletes reached their peak in high school or would have been offered to bear on the varsity or two year schools teams. Most of the MIAA schools tuition and housing is very affordable compared to $30,0000. How many of these kids realize after 2 years of jv sports that they are not going to get a scholarship or be on the varsity. The kids choose to go to these schools sure I understand that, but how many 18 year Olds understand that hey I can go to school xyz state for 60-70k for 4 years and get the same education and not play varsity sports or go to private school ABC and spend 120,000K and play jv sports,and get the same academics. So 50,000K is a heavy price to pay. That's what I mean by advantage.
                            They only pay it because they want to. And who says most of them would end up at a public school? How do you know they wouldn't be at a private school, just without the opportunity to play a sport?

Call me old-fashioned, but I think most people are capable of determining how to spend their own money.

Comment

Not debating the fact that kids and family determine how to spend their own money but my nephew went to a private school and played jv at the cost of $30,000 - half scholarship so now he owes $60,000 for his education if he would have went to a public state school for half scholarship as he had good grades he would have got the same education for $30,000. So my opinion was even though he was good academically he wasn't to frugal. But the idea of being on a team appealed to him and his parents if the kid takes the A+ program at a jr college then goes on to a Missouri state college with a half scholarship they can achieve a college education for $15,000K total. Just stating my god given right to free speech just like the rest of you, so that is why I'm fired up about this topic.but to each his own. No more comments on the jv teams here.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X