Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Junior Varsity Teams

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
    Not debating the fact that kids and family determine how to spend their own money but my nephew went to a private school and played jv at the cost of $30,000 - half scholarship so now he owes $60,000 for his education if he would have went to a public state school for half scholarship as he had good grades he would have got the same education for $30,000. So my opinion was even though he was good academically he wasn't to frugal. But the idea of being on a team appealed to him and his parents if the kid takes the A+ program at a jr college then goes on to a Missouri state college with a half scholarship they can achieve a college education for $15,000K total. Just stating my god given right to free speech just like the rest of you, so that is why I'm fired up about this topic.but to each his own. No more comments on the jv teams here.
    Some people are just dumb and terrible with money.
    Some people 'HAVE' to go to a private school.
    Some people choose the school THEN decide to play a sport after enrolling.

There are MANY more reasons and all are debatable. I personally don't agree with taking loans no matter the school you go to. Why start your career $80k+ in debt??? But I also realize not everyone can save/work/pay while in school.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
      Some people are just dumb and terrible with money.
      Some people 'HAVE' to go to a private school.
      Some people choose the school THEN decide to play a sport after enrolling.

There are MANY more reasons and all are debatable. I personally don't agree with taking loans no matter the school you go to. Why start your career $80k+ in debt??? But I also realize not everyone can save/work/pay while in school.
      It's not that everyone can or can't work/pay while in school, it's nearly impossible today. If you are lucky enough to be in a situation that your family can pay for your school then great but that's not everyone. There are many more articles if you do a quick google search but essentially you have to work close to 50 hours a week, year round, at minimum wage to cover tuition alone. In the 70s someone could work full-time in a summer job at minimum wage and have enough to pay for college then work 10 hours a week for living expenses. Notice the 50 hours a week today is just covering tuition, not living expenses.

Link

The biggest difference is the states are no longer funding the universities at the same level so students and families are having to pay the rest. 20-30 years ago it was 70% state-funded and 30% student-funded. That has completely flipped now (or worse in some states).

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
        Missouri Southern will have JV teams this year along with the regular men's and women's teams. Men's JV roster has a dozen or more players who as I understand it could get "called up" should the need arise such as injury, transfer, etc.

Anybody else doing this?

Anyone know more specifics such as rules/limits, other purposes, benefits or drawbacks?

This started out pretty simple, but has now gained traction as a full fledged analysis and debate on JV basketball. I'm looking forward to hoops season... the A team variety.

GO MULES

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
          It's not that everyone can or can't work/pay while in school, it's nearly impossible today. If you are lucky enough to be in a situation that your family can pay for your school then great but that's not everyone. There are many more articles if you do a quick google search but essentially you have to work close to 50 hours a week, year round, at minimum wage to cover tuition alone. In the 70s someone could work full-time in a summer job at minimum wage and have enough to pay for college then work 10 hours a week for living expenses. Notice the 50 hours a week today is just covering tuition, not living expenses.

Link

The biggest difference is the states are no longer funding the universities at the same level so students and families are having to pay the rest. 20-30 years ago it was 70% state-funded and 30% student-funded. That has completely flipped now (or worse in some states).
          Agree 100%. For clarity, I'll add that I don't agree with taking loans because there are also a TON of scholarships available and can be found through most high school's websites. They aren't all full rides or even close, obviously. But if you put in the time to search, you'll be able to greatly reduce the cost of school. With or without family help.

I am in no way saying my way is they way, I just personally don't (didn't) want to start my career deep in debt. Doesn't work for all though.

Anyway, I'm excited to hear about Missouri Southern's JV team. When is their schedule posted?

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
            The Heart of America in the NAIA does this in baseball,basketball,and football. My opinion of this is the colleges are taking advantage of the kids who are not quite good enough to be on varsity teams at other colleges or 2 year schools. These NAIA are twice the price of the state colleges and many times more expensive than the JR.Colleges but they provide naive high school athletes and parents a way to say im on the college team. Lets face it if the varsity teams or JC s are not putting you on those teams your future in sports is the rec leagues, its tough when those days come but the reality except for 10 percent of the high school athletes.
            Jordan Epps on the National Champion team for UCM was the product of NAIA. Some kids on loaded high school teams or AAU teams get overlooked and end up at NAIA. I don't think the NAIA's mission is to take advantage of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by MuleLove View Post
              Jordan Epps on the National Champion team for UCM was the product of NAIA. Some kids on loaded high school teams or AAU teams get overlooked and end up at NAIA. I don't think the NAIA's mission is to take advantage of kids.
              You missed the point. Jordan Epps was not a JV player, I was not against NAIA, I was against going to the private schools and paying to play JV verses going to a state school and not playing sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                Anyway, I'm excited to hear about Missouri Southern's JV team. When is their schedule posted?
                I'm hearing they may have as many as 16 games with most at home and maybe 15+ on the JV roster. So it's less than 20 extra students of which I'm willing to bet 2-4 wind up playing some varsity bball for the Lions within the next two seasons. The other dozen or so will get a good education for a low cost and will have some fun playing at a level higher than intramurals.
                (And they were smart enough to do this at an affordable institution rather than an expensive private school)

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                  I'm hearing they may have as many as 16 games with most at home and maybe 15+ on the JV roster. So it's less than 20 extra students of which I'm willing to bet 2-4 wind up playing some varsity bball for the Lions within the next two seasons. The other dozen or so will get a good education for a low cost and will have some fun playing at a level higher than intramurals.
                  (And they were smart enough to do this at an affordable institution rather than an expensive private school)
                  Pretty fun way to go through college, really. Would guess more schools will do this.

Comment

North Carolina. Roy Williams is a huge supporter of these.
                    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...e10869986.html
                    Go Bronchos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X