2. Wayne State (3) - 44
    3. Winona State - 33
    4t. Concordia-St. Paul - 29
    4t. Minnesota State-Mankato - 29
    6. Sioux Falls - 20
    7. Southwest Minnesota State - 14
    8. Upper Iowa - 8

Preseason North Division Player of the Year
    F - Drew Sannes, Minnesota State-Moorhead (SR)

- 2016-17 NSIC Player of the Year
    - Named WBCA All-American honorable mention
    - Named D2 Bulletin All-American honorable mention.
    - First-Team All-NSIC
    - Led MSUM to first NCAA tournament since 2009 and first NSIC title since 2004-05
    - Led Dragons in scoring (15.3) and rebounds (8.3)
    - Closing in on all-time record for blocks at MSUM

Preseason South Division Player of the Year
    F - Paige Ballinger, Wayne State (SR)

- Earned First-Team All-NSIC honors for second straight season
    - Averaged 14.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game last season
    - Led NSIC in blocked shots, ranked eighth in field goal percentage (.498) and 10th in scoring
    - Scored in double figures in 24 games, including last 12 in a row
    - Recorded eight games of 20 or more points with six coming in the final 12 games
    - Named NSIC South Division Preseason Player of the Year for second consecutive season

Re: NSIC Women's Preseason Coaches Poll

I saw on Twitter that this is the highest SMSU has been picked in the preseason poll since 2011-12.

Comment

Much like the men's side, I am pretty sure the north will be substantially improved relative to the south. Last year, south women's teams were 41-23 against the north. MSU Moorhead had their perfect cross-division record spoiled by USF. Moorhead and Northern were 12-4 against the south then ate their own division alive going 24-4 against the north teams. (Augieholic, you could blame divisional scheduling as to why Krauth has never won a regular season conference title). Mary and Duluth should make leaps and if Sannes doesn't have a good year Mary's Gabbie Bohl could win POY as a sophomore.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        I saw on Twitter that this is the highest SMSU has been picked in the preseason poll since 2011-12.
        I think SMSU will finish 8th. Mark it down

Comment

After the first qr minots up on Dickinson St 15-5. I know it's lower competition, but I can already see the improvement. Minot lost to DSU last year.

Comment

Minot 32-23 halftime

Comment

I said this on the other thread, but not noted (as I'm sure this goes for others too) NSU added a graduate transfer who averaged 25ppg last season and in my opinion will be head and shoulders better than what we lost in Waytashek. This girl led NAIA in scorring her jr. year. She thwn suffered and ACL. When her knee wasnt ready she didnt play her lasy season at the school. Now in grad school at NSU she has decided to play again. Not that Fred usually has a bad team, but this team in particular is poised for quite the season. Had Emporia beat before the wheels came off in the first round of regional play last year.

Fred continues his quest towards 900 wins starting the year with a 820-300 record.
              Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 10-25-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Start of the 4th Minot 50-33

Comment

Final from New Town. Minot 61-41
                  Defense was good. The offense got into the lane and open shots consistently. Making those shots was a different story. The most frustrated player was probably Holly Johnson (hometown transfer from NDSU). She has every move post move in the book. She can take it inside and also has deep range. But unfortunately she couldn't get any going tonight. I have a feeling she'll turn it around though.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                    .Fred continues his quest towards 900 wins starting the year with a 820-300 record.
                    I remember when Right Said Fred won his 700th game. Amazing.

Comment

Moorhead women get a nice test tonight at SDSU...

Comment

Looking at the Northern women's schedule and Fred was definitely setting up for big things.

Exhibitions include South Dakota State, who is receiving votes in the D1 coaches poll, Creighton who was picked 4th in the Big East after winning it last season.

Regular season has the Wolves facing Central Missouri (MIAA), CSU-Pueblo (RMAC) and Harding (GAC) all picked As preseason favorites in those conferences.

Not to mention, NSU and Moorhead are schedule to play their travel partner Moorhead (NSIC preseason #1) on the 15th and 19th of December.

That is a heckuva schedule and doesn't even get us out of December.

Comment

I think about the 4-5 range in the south is about right for MSU, as they apparently have not added any transfers that can give them immediate help in replacing Scherber and two other graduating seniors from last year that were solid players.
                          Klug was one of the better freshmen in the conference last season, and I expect her to be very effective for the Mavs the this year and years following. However, at this point I don't see that they have enough impact players to move higher in the standings than mid-range at best.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                            I think about the 4-5 range in the south is about right for MSU, as they apparently have not added any transfers that can give them immediate help in replacing Scherber and two other graduating seniors from last year that were solid players.
                            Klug was one of the better freshmen in the conference last season, and I expect her to be very effective for the Mavs the this year and years following. However, at this point I don't see that they have enough impact players to move higher in the standings than mid-range at best.
                            I realize women's basketball isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's really disappointing that MSU has done NOTHING since 2008/2009. Eight years of mediocrity at best.

I agree with your assessment and am hoping they can do something to improve going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                              I realize women's basketball isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's really disappointing that MSU has done NOTHING since 2008/2009. Eight years of mediocrity at best.

I agree with your assessment and am hoping they can do something to improve going forward.
                              I actually find women's basketball as interesting as men's; maybe because I was a coach for girl's basketball for many years when I was teaching.
                              You're right, the 09-09 national championship for MSU women was an amazing accomplishment. Agree also that it is disappointing that was not built on to a much greater extent. I think we made the regional about one time since then, and that was a first-game exit (2015). Recruiting needs to step up a level. MSU has one of the best basketball facilities in the conference, and a lot of majors offered academically.
                              Forgot to mention Ziegler in my earlier post today; she is a fine inside player for the Mavs. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them having enough horses to move up in the standings, or getting to the regional this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X