Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The focus turns to the Pentagon (Sat. through Tues. NSIC Chat)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The focus turns to the Pentagon (Sat. through Tues. NSIC Chat)

Originally posted by MustangManiac View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not act like that foul is only called when Ryan is making the drive. I agree that foul probably didn't need to be called, but there are plenty of others getting called in the same scenario. And I'm guessing by you 'hating' him, just means you hate that he doesn't play for your squad.
    He said "can't stand", not hate. Maybe semantics, but I think there's a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
      He said "can't stand", not hate. Maybe semantics, but I think there's a difference.
      That's funny. I thought the same thing earlier but didn't have time to post it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        That's funny. I thought the same thing earlier but didn't have time to post it.
        Hate will never win!

Also, my images of the Husker players in their shirts will never show up on this post.
        Last edited by ddwitte; 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM. Reason: Image will not display

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
          I don't know that anyone would turn him away as a player, but watching him and moen, with their hooking, jersey grabbing and flopping is what drives us all nuts. Moen argues calls more than anyone I have seen in quite some time. It's one thing to have a reaction out of emotion, it's another to do it every, single time.

I am that way toward any team. The Wolves started complaining too much for my taste 2nd half. Only sell job we had was Doyle's. Bruggeman is obviously not big enough to take him on, but the shove to the chest also doesn't really have a place in the game.

We all acknowledge Bruggeman as one of the best in the league, it's that side stuff that keeps him from being well liked. Which really, why would he or you as fans of that team care if we do or dont?
          It's funny, really. We both see what we 'want' to see. I saw an awful lot of complaining from the (deserved) tourney MVP, but didn't come on here hating on him for it. Both sides have complaints, and I have no issue admitting that.

To be honest, you're right that it doesn't matter to me if you or anyone else likes him or not. In fact, i would argue it's actually a little more fun when the disliked player is on your team-the guy everyone hates unless he's on your team. But let's not all come on here and say that Ryan gets more calls than anyone else. Because he doesn't.

I understand the little playful push he gave Doyle who is twice his size was unnecessary. No problem admitting that. It's clear the game was frustrating to him at the time, and his emotions got the best of him. Thankfully he cooled down and led the surge in the 2nd half.

Comment

But let's not all come on here and say that Ryan gets more calls than anyone else. Because he doesn't.
            Well actually, Bruggeman shot the most FT in all games (2nd most in just NSIC games) so as a point of fact he gets more calls than anyone else (besides Brandon Myer in NSIC games).

The dude exaggerates contact, Taylor Witt did it, Zach Monaghan did it, and Dan Jansen did it. Admitting that doesnt make him a lesser player, it just acknowledges the reality of his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
              Well actually, Bruggeman shot the most FT in all games (2nd most in just NSIC games) so as a point of fact he gets more calls than anyone else (besides Brandon Myer in NSIC games).

The dude exaggerates contact, Taylor Witt did it, Zach Monaghan did it, and Dan Jansen did it. Admitting that doesnt make him a lesser player, it just acknowledges the reality of his game.
              Well that doesn't surprise me, as he makes his living in the paint. Either way, the numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the whole story either. I'm just glad he wears Vegas gold and brown, and that we get him for another year after this! :)

Comment

Without looking, I'm guessing he takes more shots than anyone else as well. If that is true, chances are he will be at the foul line more often.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                  The original comment came from an Augie fan, not a Wolves fan. Just to clear that up.
                  I realized that, was just expounding on the statement. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                    Without looking, I'm guessing he takes more shots than anyone else as well. If that is true, chances are he will be at the foul line more often.
                    He took the 6th most FGs overall and 11th most in NSIC games so definitely a high volume shooter but not more than anyone else.

Comment

It's funny, really. We both see what we 'want' to see. I saw an awful lot of complaining from the (deserved) tourney MVP, but didn't come on here hating on him for it. Both sides have complaints, and I have no issue admitting that.

To be honest, you're right that it doesn't matter to me if you or anyone else likes him or not. In fact, i would argue it's actually a little more fun when the disliked player is on your team-the guy everyone hates unless he's on your team. But let's not all come on here and say that Ryan gets more calls than anyone else. Because he doesn't.

I understand the little playful push he gave Doyle who is twice his size was unnecessary. No problem admitting that. It's clear the game was frustrating to him at the time, and his emotions got the best of him. Thankfully he cooled down and led the surge in the 2nd half.
                      I can only remember two specific times DJ complained. One was on that made jumper from the top of the key, which on the Midco replay from up in our suite we were able to see his are be straight up and down to then being bend side ways at a 45 degree angle. The other, I believe, was on a drive which is common place for most dribble penetraters to gripe. I'd be happy to watch again and take a notes on it unless you'd like to. Again, I don't like it when anyone does it constantly, us or others, so I usually noticed that stuff. After watching almost every game the Wolves have played and others they weren't in, there is one that sticks out more than others. Kudos to him for mastering it to the point where he gets through 37 minutes of a physical championship game before getting called for his first. It's as impressive as most of the shots he makes.

Comment

Zach Monaghan did it, Admitting that doesnt make him a lesser player, it just acknowledges the reality of his game.
                        Gumby? It seemed like he would almost explode in all directions after any contact. What were those toys called- Battle Bots? No, that is too recent. Rock Em Sock Em? That was what he reminded me of being like.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                          Looked like a good call to me and I officiated D2 baskeball for 15 years, working 4 regionals. Did I miss some calls? Yes, but like all who work, we do it because we love the game and want the game to be fair. Makes a difference what team you root for when we, as fans watch the game of basketball and if we believe that it was a foul or what not. Hats off to the men and women who do that thankless job of keeping our games fair.
                          Regardless of your officiating credentials, please explain what Smith did wrong to warrant a foul there. In my eyes, he was in good defensive position in regards to being between the offensive player and the basket/where he was going (i.e. he wasn't a half-step behind and tried to ride him out with a hip (the Bruggeman special)), he maintained verticality when Bruggeman created contact and unlike most times when an offensive player creates contact (think Casey Schilling barreling into someone's chest) the defender's arms collapse and gives the official a reason to say he broke verticality. Baseline official called the foul and maybe he was blocked, but the theatrics of Bruggeman really make it as much of a "reputation" call as one can get in the NSIC. If you choose to stop fellating the righteous profession of officiating basketball, I would like to hear why it was a good call, according to a former collegiate official.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not act like that foul is only called when Ryan is making the drive. I agree that foul probably didn't need to be called, but there are plenty of others getting called in the same scenario. And I'm guessing by you 'hating' him, just means you hate that he doesn't play for your squad.
                          Never said I hated him (in the specific post you replied to), and I am sure I would view him differently if he were on my team. But I also believe that home fans have rose-colored glasses when a player like him comes through and some self-awareness is appreciated. The aforementioned Schilling along with Dan Jansen and Jordan Spencer all shot plenty of free throws and I do think they were rewarded for their embellishments. Beyond the friendly whistle, I do believe that Bruggeman gets away with way too much contact with his off hand when dribbling. He is already an adept finisher, especially for his size, but it's pretty easy to get a half step on a guy with your arm is pinning the defender's leg against your body. He slaps away defenders' hands a lot too, and while that is not a foul, it should bring attention to the referees of his off-hand usage.

Defensively, he rides a lot of guys out of their drive by leaning up on them with a hip check, and that's a problem around the league, but with his size and sturdy frame, it is very effective and should be a blocking foul. I'm not asking him to foul out of every game, but when a guy gets to the free throw line as much as he does, while playing as physical as he does, and averages less than two fouls per game at 30 minutes per night, that's why it's so frustrating.

#FactsOnly He has the highest free throw rate of any player in the league (minimum 2.5 FTM/gm) and is obscenely higher than any of the other guards. Bruggeman is at 47.3, meaning for every 10 field goal attempts, he shoots 4.7 free throws...absurd for a guard. The next four highest scoring guards: Harrison Cleary (28.5), Trevon Evans (33.1), Carson Parker (35.8), Charlie Brown (33.1). If Maniac wants to believe that Bruggeman doesn't shoot more free throws than everyone else, go for it, but the numbers, both in quantity and adjusted for his usage rate. It's part of his game, I understand that, but it's another annoying part to his game. I'm pretty sure that you guys don't like watching James Harden play, but that may be for other reasons...
                          Last edited by Guest69; 03-01-2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            Now that this is over, I have a question for both you SMSU and NSU fans.

With both of you having won NSIC Tourneys in the past two years, do you feel it was more exciting to win the NSIC Tournament or, at least in NSU's case, to win the regular season title?

In my mind, I feel like it was way more of an accomplishment for the Vikes to go 21-1 in conference play and claim an outright conference title in 2015-16 than it was for them to win the NSIC Tournament in 2015 and 2016. But sometimes I feel like I'm alone on an island with that mindset.

I just never quite got the hype of winning 4 games in a row compared to the accomplishment of dominating over the course of the entire season.

Thoughts?
                            winning the regular season is harder, but it is also dependent on the schedule you get sometimes with the unbalanced schedule as North teams have a built in advanatge if they are good like NSU this year and Moorhead last year since they have a much easier schedule.

but both are a big deal. Honestly, the tournament has a great feel to it at the Pentagon and the games have been highly competitive and quite fun there.

But if I had to pick one, I would prefer the regular season title

Comment

Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
                              Two things, both coming from this video: https://www.facebook.com/NSICFB/vide...5103779156021/
                              I for one love the tournament in Sioux Falls. Top notch arena in the Pentagon and it has a big time feel to it.

Now, if we can play men's games in prime time every year I would be more impressed.

I think Ryan gets a lot of calls, but no Augie fan can complain because the Schilling boys got EVERY call for 8 years.

Comment

While I am thankful this day in age to have all this access, we should feel so blessed to have Midco cover our conference. Lucky for the MIAA, they they just spread down to the Kansas City area and if continue to expand, we may have some really, really good regional cable coverage.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X