X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIAA Tournament Results

Originally posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
    Last 4 titles were outright.
    Might as well go one step further, 6 out of 7 including shared. But it ain't KU, not yet anyway.
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
      NW is on a current 5 year streak with shared titles.
      So only 4 of those would be "repeats", correct?

Comment

I thought Northwest was the first to win 5 straight and 4 outright in a row. But looking at the MIAA champions list I see the 60's started with Southeast winning 4 consecutive outright titles (1961-4) and ended with Southwest (now Missouri State) winning or sharing 5 in a row (1966-70).

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          So only 4 of those would be "repeats", correct?
          I see what your saying but with that understanding then are you saying UCM and Washburn have won 6 straight at some point since you said they both have 5 repeats? I truly don't know if they have done that and assumed you were meaning consecutive titles.

EDIT: I thought when NW won a share of the title this season that it was a tie for the most consecutive conference titles. That's why I assume UCM and Washburn have not won 6 straight at some point. Or do you mean they have repeated on 5 separate occasions but not consecutively? I just don't think that is clear in your post about repeats when CatFan88 was referencing consecutive titles.
          Last edited by NWHoops; 02-28-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
            I see what your saying but with that understanding then are you saying UCM and Washburn have won 6 straight at some point since you said they both have 5 repeats? I truly don't know if they have done that and assumed you were meaning consecutive titles.

EDIT: I thought when NW won a share of the title this season that it was a tie for the most consecutive conference titles. That's why I assume UCM and Washburn have not won 6 straight at some point.
            I started in 1969 (the year KY Wesleyan repeated as national champions), CentralMO repeated in 1970, 1981, 1985, 2013 & 2014. Washburn repeated in 1993, 1994, 1995, 2004 & 2005. The original thought was about repeating as national champions. The comeback mentioned repeating as MIAA champions but left out a qualifying number (such as 5 straight). So I, because I'm anal I guess, had to point out how common it was to repeat as MIAA champions. 88 then came back and said he left out the "5 straight" which, considering it's only happed twice, is harder than repeating as national champions.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
              I think your observations are spot on, except that I will say it won't take a miracle to beat Northwest, and here's why.

First, for the Gorillas, you have five D1 transfers and I've seen them play several games - the talent is definitely there. And they have a veteran coach quite capable of putting together a game plan against Northwest. No need to go on - those are the key points for why I think the Gorillas have a decent chance Friday.

Second, your opponent, the Bearcats, don't seem as invincible as last year, and their two best players are hobbled a bit by injuries. If not for those two injuries, I would say IMO they are a little deeper than last year.

I don't see the Bearcats going 6-0 in the next two weeks. Just a prediction, but not going too far out on a limb given the quality of opponents now lined up to face them.

No disrespect intended for Northwest Missouri. They've earned all of the respect everyone gives them now.
              I'm with Randy, I don't really think that's going out on a limb at all... It's so hard to do. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they're able to pull it off. Only one team can win it all and it's not always the best team that does it. I agree with your assessment of the team though...when healthy, I think they are deeper. The makeup of this team may actually be better than last year's team, but if the ball doesn't bounce the right way on a given night, it's over. And it's sudden. Hopefully, if that happens, NW fans will realize and appreciate what an amazing run it has been. But yeah, it'll be even sweeter, if we're going for the 3peat next year! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                I started in 1969 (the year KY Wesleyan repeated as national champions), CentralMO repeated in 1970, 1981, 1985, 2013 & 2014. Washburn repeated in 1993, 1994, 1995, 2004 & 2005. The original thought was about repeating as national champions. The comeback mentioned repeating as MIAA champions but left out a qualifying number (such as 5 straight). So I, because I'm anal I guess, had to point out how common it was to repeat as MIAA champions. 88 then came back and said he left out the "5 straight" which, considering it's only happed twice, is harder than repeating as national champions.
                Gotcha. Winning back to back 6 different times versus 5 straight. It just seemed odd with the 5 repeats for UCM and Washburn but not for NW when I was virtually certain NW had tied the record with 5 straight. Especially when it's commonly referred to as a 3-peat (edit: as referenced in Alfred33 post above, haha) when you win 3 straight, not a 2-peat.

Comment

Southwest's 5 in a row happened when I was in grade school and not paying a whole lot of attention to the MIAA (other than the occasional Lincoln game have grown up in Jeff City). Northwest's current run is the most impressive that I've witnessed. While the Cats have good players returning next season, I think most would consider this a "Senior" heavy team which would make a 6th consecutive title all the more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                    I think your observations are spot on, except that I will say it won't take a miracle to beat Northwest, and here's why.

First, for the Gorillas, you have five D1 transfers and I've seen them play several games - the talent is definitely there. And they have a veteran coach quite capable of putting together a game plan against Northwest. No need to go on - those are the key points for why I think the Gorillas have a decent chance Friday.

Second, your opponent, the Bearcats, don't seem as invincible as last year, and their two best players are hobbled a bit by injuries. If not for those two injuries, I would say IMO they are a little deeper than last year.

I don't see the Bearcats going 6-0 in the next two weeks. Just a prediction, but not going too far out on a limb given the quality of opponents now lined up to face them.

No disrespect intended for Northwest Missouri. They've earned all of the respect everyone gives them now.

Comment

Wanna beat NW? Recipe above starts it. Where? Good luck. MOSO knows, so does Metro St. and Pitt St.
                      Go Hounds!
                      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                      Cyclone Power
                      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Women's MIAA quarterfinal results:

Fort Hays State 57, Emporia State 54
                        Pittsburg State 71, Washburn 63
                        Lindenwood 75, Central Missouri 66
                        Missouri Western State 49, Central Oklahoma 46

Semifinals (Saturday)
                        #3 Fort Hays State vs. #2 Pittsburg State
                        #9 Lindenwood vs. #12 Missouri Western State

Comment

MIAA men's quarterfinal results

Washburn 75, Nebraska-Kearney 65
                          Fort Hays State 86, Missouri Southern State 85 (OT)
                          Northwest Missouri State 79, Pittsburg State 73
                          Central Oklahoma 72, Central Missouri 68

================================

Semifinals - Saturday, March 3
                          #3 Washburn vs. #7 Fort Hays State
                          #1 Northwest Missouri State vs. #5 Central Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                            MIAA men's quarterfinal results

Washburn 75, Nebraska-Kearney 65
                            Fort Hays State 86, Missouri Southern State 85 (OT)
                            Northwest Missouri State 79, Pittsburg State 73
                            Central Oklahoma 72, Central Missouri 68

================================

Semifinals - Saturday, March 3
                            #3 Washburn vs. #7 Fort Hays State
                            #1 Northwest Missouri State vs. #5 Central Oklahoma
                            Central OK is the #4 seed.

And thus, the only MIAA men's upset in the tourney thus far was 19-11 Fort Hays over 20-9 MSSU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X