Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early 2018-19 NSIC Predictions

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Did Austin maybe graduate and he is looking to do grad school, and final year of eligibility, elsewhere?
    Thats what I've heard

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
      Thats what I've heard
      Would make most sense after four years.

Comment

I think Winona could challenge for the division title next year. Mankato will probably be the preseason favorites. Southwest will be competitive too, and I'll put Sioux Falls as the fourth team in the South right now.

I feel like Northern will still have enough to rule the North. Maybe Crookston will make a Minot-like run at it though....

Comment

AJ Plitzuweit, NSIC Freshman of the Year 2018-19. Sharpie.

Seriously though, I know we say this every year, but it seems like this is a particularly strong year for incoming talent at several schools (Augie, Winona, Northern jump to mind). Plus Mankato and St. Cloud will find 2-3 D1 kids, I'm guessing. Should be really fun to see how some of these young guys perform in the NSIC.

I'm not sure I see Augie as a top 5 finisher overall next season (shocker, I know), but I think we'll be back in business a year after that if guys stay healthy and this incoming group doesn't lose anyone due to minute-sharing jealousy. There's a chance to have a really strong core for several years that reminds me a lot of the year we brought in Jansen, Schilling, Huisken, et al.
          Last edited by MrAugustana; 03-25-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Seriously though, I know we say this every year, but it seems like this is a particularly strong year for incoming talent at several schools (Augie, Winona, Northern jump to mind). Plus Mankato and St. Cloud will find 2-3 D1 kids, I'm guessing. Should be really fun to see how some of these young guys perform in the NSIC.

I'm not sure I see Augie as a top 5 finisher overall next season (shocker, I know), but I think we'll be back in business a year after that if guys stay healthy and this incoming group doesn't lose anyone due to minute-sharing jealousy. There's a chance to have a really strong core for several years that reminds me a lot of the year we brought in Jansen, Schilling, Huisken, et al.
            These two bring in talented freshmen as well, but they are now typically from Illinois (and this year Ohio) so we don't know nearly as much about them as the local kids. Typically I don't care where the players come from but I do think the local kids at least get/keep fan bases excited, as witnessed by the boards. But they will also bring in transfers too. For sure.

Comment

Don't lump us in with that guy and the way he runs his program. At least the alumni want to come back for alumni night and support the SCSU program.

Comment

AJ Plitzuweit, NSIC Freshman of the Year 2018-19. Sharpie
                Assuming redshirts are eligible for freshman of year award...couple of Moorhead's redshirt freshman will get some attention for that award next year. I do like Plitzuweit's game a lot as well. He is going to be very good NSIC player in the coming years. I would only write it in pencil...not sharpie :)

Comment

For the Wolves I am hoping for Roko to be a pleasant surprise for us as no one knows much about him. I love Parker Fox and his energy, but he won't be able to go all dunk city in the NSIC as he did in HS, hopefully another offseason get him a little more build and ready to roll. As I have said before I thought Kallman would be a good player just not so soon. (Still shocked he didn't even check into the championship game)
                  But, Parker Fox was THE great addition coming in, time will tell what type of career it ends up being. I believe that Balcome is going to be redshirting, however that was said (I think) before Bergan backed out. Lincoln Jordre will be a nice post and probably going to have to play right away. I don't think that he will be amazing to start however. Belka is another that will be highly thought of coming in, but who knows if he actually plays or red shirts. I can't speak to Gus. All I know is he is deadly from down town but so were Skye and Mack, they were not POY or NOY types however.

Comment

The biggest question I have about Southwest is at the center position. I know they had high hopes for Ghomsi going into last year and I believe would've been slotted ahead of Bartlett, but he's still an unknown. As is the young guy coming in from Anoka, who I'm guessing they'll try to redshirt.

At least on the wing, they have guys to step in who have played in the system. I would personally probably start Schafer and Byers next to Bruggeman and Lee, but Dufault could sneak his way in there too. Hanson or Kramer may have to step up too.

Comment

I think Northern is still very tough next year. Ian will provide some great leadership and Gabe King is going to be a tremendous player the next couple of years, he can do about anything you ask on either end of the floor. I think two of the three between Fries, Dahl, and Fox will start and then Jordre will be the man in the middle. With Kallman, Decker and whoever doesn't start out of that group of 3 providing most of our bench play. Paul did say in one of the post games that Decker could be an all-conference type player next year, so maybe he has other plans. Still a little tough to move on from this season, but I think next year can be another good year with the year after that possibly even better. We do need to get someone with a strong handle working into the rotation next year so that they can have some experience when Ian leaves. I'm not sure who that is. I don't know much about Stark or Gus. I am assuming that we move on from Logan LeGrand before next season, but maybe there is something there that I don't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
                        I think Northern is still very tough next year. Ian will provide some great leadership and Gabe King is going to be a tremendous player the next couple of years, he can do about anything you ask on either end of the floor. I think two of the three between Fries, Dahl, and Fox will start and then Jordre will be the man in the middle. With Kallman, Decker and whoever doesn't start out of that group of 3 providing most of our bench play. Paul did say in one of the post games that Decker could be an all-conference type player next year, so maybe he has other plans. Still a little tough to move on from this season, but I think next year can be another good year with the year after that possibly even better. We do need to get someone with a strong handle working into the rotation next year so that they can have some experience when Ian leaves. I'm not sure who that is. I don't know much about Stark or Gus. I am assuming that we move on from Logan LeGrand before next season, but maybe there is something there that I don't know about.
                        Don't forget about Roko!

Comment

SMSU will be in the mix again.

Will win win a 3rd straight South -- think about that -- that would be quite and accomplishment! or finish 5th or 6th even though we are as good or better but the other teams - Augie, Moorhead, Upper Iowa rebound some and others get better too.

League will be good again.

I think preseason there was some siilliness on the board the league would be down - folks were thinking about SMSU - in particular but by the end of the year the league was once again the best in the nation.

as compared to 2016-17:

Minot was a last second 3 pointer from winning and keeping a team from making the post season, let alone the Sweet 16
                          SMSU had another good run.
                          Augie was done, but was still good.
                          Cloud was better
                          Mankato was better
                          Northern was better
                          USF was better

Next year I expect to be a major battle so please remember this when the customary handwringing starts in the fall about how the league is down! we are all guilty of it at times, but the fact is this league has way to many dedicated fans, boosters, and administrations for hoops to stink.

Also, the coaches are top notch. Look at the great coaches

Margenthaler
                          McKown
                          Texas
                          Bigler
                          Sather

etc.

And the middle coaches proved themselves solid too --look at the jump Winona took after it looked awful early on.

Comment

As Midco's resident NSIC expert, David Brown, pointed out regarding the John Warren transfer news, Augie's current projected 2018-19 roster includes 0 seniors and 3 juniors, only one of whom, Adam Dykman, averaged more than 8 minutes per game (technically 8.3 minutes per game for Andy Kerkman and 1.3 minutes per game for Zac Stevenson).

So basically, the Vikes need Kerkman to make some major strides this summer, otherwise it's Dykman and a slew of freshmen/sophomores who will be carrying the load for the team.

My hope is that the Augie coaching staff can snag an upperclass transfer of some sort to provide some needed experience. If not, the freshmen I've been posting about so regularly will really need to be as good as hoped. Should be interesting to see what unfolds for the Vikes next season.

Comment

An idea where Warren plans to transfer to?

Comment

As Midco's resident NSIC expert, David Brown, pointed out regarding the John Warren transfer news, Augie's current projected 2018-19 roster includes 0 seniors and 3 juniors, only one of whom, Adam Dykman, averaged more than 8 minutes per game (technically 8.3 minutes per game for Andy Kerkman and 1.3 minutes per game for Zac Stevenson).

So basically, the Vikes need Kerkman to make some major strides this summer, otherwise it's Dykman and a slew of freshmen/sophomores who will be carrying the load for the team.

My hope is that the Augie coaching staff can snag an upperclass transfer of some sort to provide some needed experience. If not, the freshmen I've been posting about so regularly will really need to be as good as hoped. Should be interesting to see what unfolds for the Vikes next season.
                                Augie's young players are going to be good, but anytime you rely on that many young guys you may want to assume a .500 record as a good season. That's what I'm doing with Moorhead next year as I think they will be playing 4 redshirt freshman (and maybe a true freshman - Wyatt Hansen) significant minutes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X