Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scheel Resigns at NWMSU

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
    Thanks for the info, actually I figured that the men's and women's salaries at D1 would have a monetary difference and thought D2 would also. In the power 5 conferences D1 assistants get much more for instance at Missouri Michael Porters dad got 1.3 million for three years and he is not even the top assistant. So if a D2 head coach could become a D1 assistant in one of those conferences it would have financial benefits and would be a step toward a head coaching job at that level.
    Wonder what his next contract will be without the #1 prospect to package with him?? :)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
        Rumor mill has Austin to MoWo men, NW women or going w/Ben but no rumors as to taking NW men spot. Anyone have any news they can share?
        Rumor mills are just that- rumors. Does that mean they aren't true? Not necessarily. One thing I can say for certain is that those who truly know what's going on aren't posting it on a message board or else they wouldn't be privy to that knowledge. As soon as they shared, they would no longer be getting that info.

Comment

I think a bigger part in Ben and/or Austin's future is people sharing all over that your best player is not going to be playing for the rest of the season when they have not shared that information more than anything to do with Buck's situation. Part of what makes NW great is a dedicated fanbase and small town. Part of the downside of NW is the fanbase and small town.

Any neutral observer could see the decision needed to be made with Buck. Program is going nowhere and the athletic department didn't want to admit they made a joke of the hiring process in the first place and the coach they selected had failed, especially as Mel is walking out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
            I think a bigger part in Ben and/or Austin's future is people sharing all over that your best player is not going to be playing for the rest of the season when they have not shared that information more than anything to do with Buck's situation. Part of what makes NW great is a dedicated fanbase and small town. Part of the downside of NW is the fanbase and small town.

Any neutral observer could see the decision needed to be made with Buck. Program is going nowhere and the athletic department didn't want to admit they made a joke of the hiring process in the first place and the coach they selected had failed, especially as Mel is walking out the door.
            First, I completely agree it was time for Scheel to go. He was part of the original regime that wasn't good either. The talent being brought in just isn't good enough for this level.

You post some really good stuff on here, however, your first part above is absurd. In other locales there may actually be reporters that do actual reporting of situations. Be it football or basketball, the St. Joe, Maryville, and U media all just slurp up the coach speak cliches coming at them ad nauseam from NW. It was very obvious Pitts had something significantly wrong with him on Sunday of the MIAA tourney. And I still think the worsening of his injury situation started the night before as you could tell he was in discomfort after he would go hard on a play. Fairly sure he would not have practiced last week and was limping even mid week. Read the tea leaves. I'll just stop there. Finally, the U BB twitter account blatantly lying just a short while before the team took the floor was really disappointing to see and a bad look. Not responding at all is the more appropriate response. I'm sure there was a lot of frustration and anxiety with the situation. Heck, my follow up post at the time was in jest as a response to the situation from the prior weekend. It only took a quick text after to confirm that was true though.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                First, I completely agree it was time for Scheel to go. He was part of the original regime that wasn't good either. The talent being brought in just isn't good enough for this level.

You post some really good stuff on here, however, your first part above is absurd. In other locales there may actually be reporters that do actual reporting of situations. Be it football or basketball, the St. Joe, Maryville, and U media all just slurp up the coach speak cliches coming at them ad nauseam from NW. It was very obvious Pitts had something significantly wrong with him on Sunday of the MIAA tourney. And I still think the worsening of his injury situation started the night before as you could tell he was in discomfort after he would go hard on a play. Fairly sure he would not have practiced last week and was limping even mid week. Read the tea leaves. I'll just stop there. Finally, the U BB twitter account blatantly lying just a short while before the team took the floor was really disappointing to see and a bad look. Not responding at all is the more appropriate response. I'm sure there was a lot of frustration and anxiety with the situation. Heck, my follow up post at the time was in jest as a response to the situation from the prior weekend. It only took a quick text after to confirm that was true though.
                A couple of things:

1. I would assume you would not agree since you were one of the first to bring it to the board.
                2. I'm not sure what tweet you are referring to but if it was the fake news tweet then it is because they held out hope that he could be back for the Elite 8 if they made it that far. Therefore, the reports of him being out for the year were inaccurate. Likely and possible, but not confirmed. I think the fake news tweet confirmed their frustration.
                3. I agree with you that the information shared on here, including Pitts status, has virtually nothing to do with their future at NW. That is to emphasize just how little Buck's situation will affect their future as well. Is it a personal frustration when people share that? Sure. Hell, I even put lower body injury for the game at Washburn just to make sure not to be too specific.

Comment

A couple of things:

1. I would assume you would not agree since you were one of the first to bring it to the board.
                  2. I'm not sure what tweet you are referring to but if it was the fake news tweet then it is because they held out hope that he could be back for the Elite 8 if they made it that far. Therefore, the reports of him being out for the year were inaccurate. Likely and possible, but not confirmed. I think the fake news tweet confirmed their frustration.
                  3. I agree with you that the information shared on here, including Pitts status, has virtually nothing to do with their future at NW. That is to emphasize just how little Buck's situation will affect their future as well. Is it a personal frustration when people share that? Sure. Hell, I even put lower body injury for the game at Washburn just to make sure not to be too specific.
                  1. At the time I posted that I had zero inside information. It was completely in jest to NWF's cryptic posts. Which weren't really that cryptic. If you paid any attention to the MIAA tournament and knew Pitts had an injury prior this wasn't a minor deal and his availability for the regional at minimum was in serious jeopardy. It took zero inside information to decipher that. Thus, personally I didn't see anything that couldn't be logically deduced about the situation by anyone looking into the situation, including other teams. Are DII BB teams really looking for inside information on this site? I guess add them to the FB teams.

2. Yes, it was the #fakenews tweet. If we're going to get technical maybe it wasn't 100% but 99.99%.

Comment

I see your point but I think you consider him with the prior regime as well. This comes down to not enough Ws. The men won as many games this season as the women have in the last 4 combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                      Wonder what his next contract will be without the #1 prospect to package with him?? :)
                      Hahahaha. Ding. Ding. Ding.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                        I see your point but I think you consider him with the prior regime as well. This comes down to not enough Ws. The men won as many games this season as the women have in the last 4 combined.
                        I agree with Taxman here. He was part of the previous regime as well. The committee to hire him was stacked so there was no way he wasn't getting the job, regardless of credentials. It's one thing to lose and it's another to not be competitive. Being down by 40+ points in the first half to an average Washburn team and to Lindenwood is unacceptable.

This is a highly competitive women's basketball league. Traditional powers in ESU and Washburn along with programs like UCM and Pitt St. Nothing in his background suggested he would be the most qualified for the job. He was the assistant to the guy that got fired and that's really it.

Here is a link to the press release for his hire. It mentions his record as an assistant but curiously leaves out his record as a head coach. That's because it was really, really bad. What about having a really bad record as a junior college head coach and a good record as a junior college assistant coach made him the most qualified? NW may not be the best women's position in the MIAA but Stein took them to the Final Four in 2011, Kellogg was a great coach who won a national championship after leaving NW and is now D1. It should be a desirable enough job that his resume could not have been the best for the job.
                        http://www.bearcatsports.com/news/20...px?path=wbball

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
                          I would say it's up to Ben if Ben stays in order for Austin to be a head coach be would be the one to accept another job. Out of Curiosity what is the difference between a D2 women's head coach and a D2 mens first assistance or associate head coach. Probably very competitive. If Ben moves up and Austin goes with him a D1 assistant makes as much or more than a lot of D2 head coaches.
                          Northwest Men's Head Coach: $145,000. I looked back and a couple of years ago, he was at 121,000 so the NC probably got him a pretty good bump.
                          Northwest top assistant - Men's: $65,000.

Northwest Women's Head Coach: $86,000
                          Northwest top assistant - Women's: $48,000

Comment

A couple of things:

WRONG!

You want a pat on the back? His specific injury had already been posted on social media before the game.
                            Last edited by CatFan88; 03-17-2018, 11:56 PM.
                            Go Hounds!
                            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                            Cyclone Power
                            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                              You want a pat on the back? His specific injury had already been posted on social media before the game.
                              Sorry, that part was not wrong. He was not ruled out for the year by the team or the medical staff. I won't argue back and forth but he wasn't ruled out for the year. Point blank. Were they overly optimistic? Maybe, but he wasn't ruled out.

No pat on the back needed or asked for. I specifically said it's a personal frustration of mine when people put specific injuries online so I left it general. If it was on social media then great. It serves no positive purpose to post the health and status of your own players on social media, message boards, etc. Watching someone play and seeing they are not 100% when anyone else can see that is different than a player not dressing and no one knowing why. Why give any other team that info whether it be social media, message boards, etc?

Comment

Sorry, that part was not wrong. He was not ruled out for the year by the team or the medical staff. I won't argue back and forth but he wasn't ruled out for the year. Point blank. Were they overly optimistic? Maybe, but he wasn't ruled out.

No pat on the back needed or asked for. I specifically said it's a personal frustration of mine when people put specific injuries online so I left it general. If it was on social media then great. It serves no positive purpose to post the health and status of your own players on social media, message boards, etc. Watching someone play and seeing they are not 100% when anyone else can see that is different than a player not dressing and no one knowing why. Why give any other team that info whether it be social media, message boards, etc?
                                I'm with Taxman. I generally like what you post. But in this case you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. If you have a personal frustration with people posting specific injuries, then why did you post that he had injury at all? You want to bend the rules but not break them.
                                Last edited by CatFan88; 03-18-2018, 08:22 AM.
                                Go Hounds!
                                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                                Cyclone Power
                                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X