Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA Week 4 Chat

About 1/3 of the conference season is in the books. What have we learned? NWMS is still the team to beat. There closest conference games have been a 7 pt. home win against Lincoln and a 8 pt. home win against Washburn. Everything else in conf. to this point has been a double digit win. It appears there are six teams that are starting to appear to be in contention. NW is a clear #1 and then you have four 1-loss teams (Pitt St., Washburn, Fort Hayes, Linclon) and then a two loss Missouri Southern team. Who has the edge in scheduling? In an unbalanced schedule where we don't play a round robin, there is clearly a difference depending on what division you are in. There is also a difference in home games and away games that are left on the conference. Washburn and Lincoln have the most favorable schedule left with both having 8 at home and 6 away. On the flip side Pitt State, Northwest Mo. St, and Mo. Southern all have 5 home and 8 on the road. Fort Hayes sits in the middle with 6 at home and 7 away. As far as strength of schedule, Lincoln has the most favorable schedule left. Assuming these 6 teams are the top teams in the conf., Lincoln only has 4 against this group with 2 left vs Washburn. Fort Hayes has the toughest with 7 left against this group with still 2 against Pitt St. and 2 against Mo. Southern. In analyzing the home and away along with the strength of schedule combined I think the easiest schedule left of the contending teams is Lincoln and the toughest schedules left are both Pitt St. and Southern. Both only have 5 home games left and both have 6 against the contending teams left with 2 against each other.

All this goes out the window if someone gets hot in the bottom half of the conference. It looks like UCM with their post player back could get back in it and it also looks like Lindenwood could contend as well. They have had some great performances and look like they could beat anybody on any given night. I think it is probably premature to look at things this early with only 1/3 of the way in the books but it is still fun. After week 5 when everyone has played 9 or 10 games, we should know a lot more at the halfway mark. However, from the looks of NWMS (I saw them Sat.), they look really tough to beat. Very impressed with their team chemistry and their team defense. It might help the contenders that they only got 5 home games left but they have been really good on the road so far. They have tough road trips @ FHSU/UNK, @ Lincoln/Lindy & @Wash and on the flip side they get Pitt St. and Mo. Southern at home. At this point, I think it is NWMS's conference unless they get tripped up on the road a couple of times.

Most intriguing games this week: Lincoln @ UCM on Wed. night and Fort Hayes at Washburn on Sat. I think it will be interesting how Pitt St. and Missouri Southern do on the road at the Oklahoma schools. That is tough road trip and both should be on upset alert. Another exciting week in the MIAA!

Re: MIAA Week 4 Chat

I'm shocked at how well Lozoya has scored this year. Moving him off the ball was huge for his production. He did strike me last year as someone who was capable of this type of production. Hays' early conference record is surprising to me as well. Mark Johnson can coach.

Comment

Originally posted by MIAABBall View Post
      I'm shocked at how well Lozoya has scored this year. Moving him off the ball was huge for his production. He did strike me last year as someone who was capable of this type of production. Hays' early conference record is surprising to me as well. Mark Johnson can coach.
      I think we are going to find out just how good FHS is. When you look at their schedule, you realize it has been in their favor. They have a very tough schedule coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
        I think we are going to find out just how good FHS is. When you look at their schedule, you realize it has been in their favor. They have a very tough schedule coming up.
        Agreed. The Tigers are 10-0 at home and 1-4 away from Gross. Of the ten home wins, four are against NAIA teams, and four are against MIAA teams that don't have winning records against D2 schools (the Hornets included). Their one road win is against an SBU team that is 5-7 against D2 schools.
        But I do think Mark Johnson is one of the best coaches in the MIAA and the early season schedule has allowed them to build some confidence as they head into a tougher part of the schedule.
        Wednesday is a big game for both ESU and FHSU. The Hornets have played better the last couple of games and a win could really shoot them up in terms of confidence. A loss for the Tigers and they could possibly go from 11-4 to 12-7 or 11-8 headed to Kearney for a rivalry game.

Comment

Pitt ends the season with 4 straight road games and 2 of them are loooooong trips.

Not crazy about Playing Southern B to B like that, either.

They have
          ROAD-the 2 okie schools
          Home-ESU and Wash
          Road-NW,MW
          Home-Hays,UNK,MSSU
          ROAD-Southern. ESU, UNK, Hays.

Comment

Pretty tough stretch

Comment

If I had to guess, I see the potential for about 3 losses for NW for the remainder of the conference season. 1 on the PSU/Southern homestand. 1 on the Lincoln/Lindenwood trip. At Washburn.

Could there be more? Yes. Lincoln/Lindenwood is a tough trip this year and has historically been tough for NW. Ucm is getting healthy and we have 2 against them. Western is improved and they are a rivalry so you never know in that scenario. Could be less as well.

With that in mind, to win the league teams will need to be aiming for 3 losses or less to win the conference.

Comment

Northwest: 2 losses max before post season.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree. I think Lincoln has the most home games (tied with Washburn) left with 8 and they only have 4 games against the current top 6. They have Washburn Home and Home and then go to FHSU and they have NWMS at home. I don't think it would be a surprise at all if they were right there with NW at the end. The UCM game at UCM that Lincoln has this week could also be a trap game for them. Lastly, their last 4 conference games are at home. I think that is a huge advantage.

Comment

Last night shows why you can't judge a team (or a player) only seeing them play once in person. Lincoln was totally unimpressive last night. They shot only 31% from the field and were destroyed on the boards. The also committed more than twice as many turnovers than they had assists.

Comment

UCM is going to make some noise in this conference. They are playing better and especially when you got to Warrensburg. Impressive win last night by the Mules!

Comment

Pitt dropped in 16 @ 3 pointers last night.

Comment

NSU with the upset of Missouri Southern.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X