Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

How many fall athletes would take that extra year of eligibility though? With football, most players redshirt their freshman year anyway, so they are already in school five years. Would they/do they want to do a sixth year of school or get on with life? With the other fall sports, sure a fifth year of competition sounds nice, but the reality of things is college is usually the end of the line for most in their athletic pursuits. Does an athlete, who most likely isn't on a scholarship or on a very limited scholarship, want to take on an extra year of loans/debt or will they get on with life?
    Add to this the fact the schools may not even offer the limited scholarships to some of these athletes that they are already receiving and I could see many not even taking the extra year. There have been a couple Northern basketball players the last few years that had another year of eligibility, but graduated and did not play a fifth year. Granted, those guys didn't play at all, but were still scholarship players. Sure, exceptions would be made for the best players and I'm sure the schools would make sure they still receive scholarships. But, I could see a lot of football players deciding to just move on especially if they have already completed five years of school and graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Add to this the fact the schools may not even offer the limited scholarships to some of these athletes that they are already receiving and I could see many not even taking the extra year. There have been a couple Northern basketball players the last few years that had another year of eligibility, but graduated and did not play a fifth year. Granted, those guys didn't play at all, but were still scholarship players. Sure, exceptions would be made for the best players and I'm sure the schools would make sure they still receive scholarships. But, I could see a lot of football players deciding to just move on especially if they have already completed five years of school and graduated.
      Absolutely. Already have been spring athletes that said they won't come back for another year of school just for a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

How many fall athletes would take that extra year of eligibility though? With football, most players redshirt their freshman year anyway, so they are already in school five years. Would they/do they want to do a sixth year of school or get on with life? With the other fall sports, sure a fifth year of competition sounds nice, but the reality of things is college is usually the end of the line for most in their athletic pursuits. Does an athlete, who most likely isn't on a scholarship or on a very limited scholarship, want to take on an extra year of loans/debt or will they get on with life?
        I know its not a popular opinion. Just saying if you need graduate school or more time to finish your degree then eligibility would not be an issue. Yes some players will decide to get on with life and give up sports. What about football huddles and the safety of the athletes. Already several MLB players are questioning the return of games and the safety of players. It looks like several D1 schools are debating whether football should be played. I for one will watch sports on television but will stay away from crowds for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Mules basketball was already three years ahead of the CDC guidelines for dealing with a pandemic.

(1) The (AD) Jerry Hughes had long ago mandated 6' spacing between fans in the stands to make the "crowd" appear larger.

(2) Mules fans were already wearing paper bags over their heads to hide their identity, so the switch to face masks is no big deal.

(3) Jerry always sits at the end of the scorers table (next to the Mules bench) so Jerry and coach K can still hold hands as long as they use hand sanitizer.

Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 05-22-2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Anybody hearing that the number of teams in the conference tourney may be reduced?

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
              Anybody hearing that the number of teams in the conference tourney may be reduced?

Comment

What would be the value of adjusting this? Especially deciding it this far out?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

What would be the value of adjusting this? Especially deciding it this far out?
                  Does the conference pay for travel to the host site for the first round? If so, cutting that cost. If not, no idea.

Comment

According to the Free Press interview with the MSU coaches:

Comment

I kinda like only allowing top 8 teams make it the tourney. Makes the regular season games more meaningful. May be unfair for teams in the south this season, as I think south will be much stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                        I kinda like only allowing top 8 teams make it the tourney. Makes the regular season games more meaningful. May be unfair for teams in the south this season, as I think south will be much stronger.
                        Agree, and should save money also.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X