Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about Solomon Bach returning?

Comment

Gophers' incoming hoops transfer Parker Fox sidelined 6-9 months after knee surgery. Story from @Marcus_R_Fuller

Comment

This could be an interesting season for the Wolves. This isn't the first time in recent history NSU has had to replace a majority of the guys that played significant minutes however. After the run to the national championship game NSU had to replace 4 of their top 6 players. The following season saw another 3 of the top 6 and the coaching staff leave. Through it all the Wolves continued to rack up NSIC championships. This season will see a little different approach as the transfer portal has brought in some new guys to replace the ones that it sucked up from last season. In 2018-19 we still had Ian, 2019-20 saw the emergence of Fox and Stark. I'm not sure who will lead the team this season.

The early part of the schedule does not allow for an easing into the season either. If the Wolves are over .500 after the first 7 games I will be very happy. NW Missouri, Washburn, and Moorhead all before Thanksgiving is a difficult start. Rockhurst, S Arkansas, SD Mines, and Black Hills might provide winnable but still difficult games. After Thanksgiving hopefully the team will have a chance to get on the right track with Midwest TX, PC, Minot, Mary, Crookston, and Bemidji. I think this team will develop into an NSIC contender by the end of the season, but we could take some lumps in November.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sam Masten
              Kobe Busch
              Jordan Belka
              Cole Bergan

Are basically a lock

I'm going to guess either Andrew Bergan or Kailleb to be the other starter. Although, from just simply being on the roster from before, perhaps we will see Gavin or Austin Holt down low.

Looking forward to seeing the young guys get minutes. If I had to wager, I think Trey Longstreet will be a stud, but you never know. I very much hope thay Jackson Moni continues to grow and bulk up as he could be dangerous.

Comment

The Wolves have added Cooper Cornemann to the roster.

The former Yankton Buck originally was offered a walk on to SDSU (where his older sisters played) then transferred back home to Mount Marty and is now at Northern (where I am quite sure his brother wrestled).

Another one I missedd was Landon Leidholt, a 6'5" forward from Warner.

That brings us to 16 players, nine of which are new to Northern's roster

Comment

Here is my prediction on the rotation for the Wolves. Walton-Blanden, Masten, Busch, Belka, and Cole Bergan will be the starting 5. Andrew Bergan and Reede will play significant minutes off the bench. Then 2 of this group will need to be contributors at some point: Longstreet, Lancaster, McGee, Moni, or Terhark. My bet would be on one of the freshman playing a big role off the bench this season. I will be curious to see how Saul handles the rotation this year. He was pretty unwilling to play Busch last year as a true freshman until injuries forced his hand at then end. Kobe was a liability on defense at first, but held his own very well against some very good teams down the stretch.

Comment

Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but I do think its a bit preposterous that the Wolves were voted in the bottom half of the conference, and the bottom half of the North. I get that it's a preseason coaches poll so there probably wasn't much effort put in, but that usually means teams that have historically done well are predicted to do well. The last time Northern finished in the bottom half of the conference was 10 years ago in the midst of the turnover from Meyer to Sather. Perhaps there are some coaches that are just sick of looking up at the Wolves after the past 4 years. I fully understand what NSU lost from last year. I don't believe the Wolves should be #15 in the country like that poll either. It does show how useless preseason polls are when a team can be voted #15 in the country, but #9 in their own conference.

Comment

So, here's the breakdown...

Belka played all 21 games and started 20 of them. He averaged 28.1 minutes per game, shot just under 40% from the field, was not good from the FT line and averaged a line of 7.9 ppg, 5 rpg and 1 apartments.

Cole Bergan played in 15 games but never started. Averaged around 15 minutes a game. He shot 38% from the field and averaged a line of 4 ppg, 2.8 rpg.

Gus Reede played in 20 games, never started and got around 8 minutes of playing time per game. Similar to Belka he shot just shy of 40% from the field. Average line of 2.9 ppg and 0.6 rpg

Kobe Busch got to play in 10 games last season. Shot around 40% and averaged 9.8 minutes per game. Averaged a line of 2.8 ppg and 1.3 rpg.

Gavin Terhark and Austin Holt played a combined 20 minutes total and seven points between the two of them.

That's what we return. I don't think anyone can reasonably look at that and then a bunch of fresh faces and think that 9th is too low.

I am hopeful and optimistic but what we lost in production is just insane. What the season becomes I going to depend on how quickly this team can build chemistry as well as production from the transfers. I would not expect much of the freshman to play, if any.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist but I'm just thankful that it isn't the current players posting about the preseason ranking. To me that at least feels like they are focused and know that actions speak lounder than words.

Let the new era begin

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                        So, here's the breakdown...

I am hopeful and optimistic but what we lost in production is just insane. What the season becomes I going to depend on how quickly this team can build chemistry as well as production from the transfers. I would not expect much of the freshman to play, if any.
                        If we don't get any production at all from the freshman, this will be a very long season. At least one of them, if not 2, need to produce something this season. Saul's first recruiting class didn't produce much last year, but wasn't called upon to do so with what we had returning. I think Busch held his own in the postseason once Saul was forced to play him because of injuries. This year's class will need to do more.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

If we don't get any production at all from the freshman, this will be a very long season. At least one of them, if not 2, need to produce something this season. Saul's first recruiting class didn't produce much last year, but wasn't called upon to do so with what we had returning. I think Busch held his own in the postseason once Saul was forced to play him because of injuries. This year's class will need to do more.
                          Yeah, I agree. It just seems like Saul doesn't normally like running with the underclassmen. I'm excited to see what they all have to offer so I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

I was shocked to see Kobe not start tonight but after watching his first half play I can see why. Big time struggle bus.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. He was one player I thought would take a major step forward this year. It's early though.

Comment

Moni looked good. He showed he can play inside and out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X