Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only been to SMSU, USF and Augie (all three of their homes) for games. I really liked the Elmen Center, nice on-campus facility. SMSU is nice, but almost too cavernous.

Comment

I've only been to Bemidji's and Moorhead's so my experience is limited.

As an MSUM alum, I'm bias, and a bit mixed.

I do think Nemzek Arena is outdated and a basketball-specific facility would be really great to have. It's cavernous in Nemzek because of its size, and the curtain only helps a bit.

At the same time, having watched games there and graduated there, it has a sort of char? Because of the success the Dragons have had on the court the atmosphere has become solid and the video board is really nice.

The next 10 years will be interesting. Dragon athletics have come a long way with basketball and football, but enrollment has dipped a bit.

Comment

I've been to all 16 basketball courts and football fields multiple times. So much of the atmosphere depends on if your team is winning and the opponent. Old Otto Arena at MSU was great when they hosted SDSU, UND or NDSU. The Taylor Center was the same, including St Cloud, Winona and Southwest when they brought a lot of fans.

Comment

A couple comments have been recently made about arenas feeling cavernous. I certainly understand the sentiment. However, the reality is that at Division II level there is an importance to having facilities serve multiple purposes. And in the cases of everyone but Augie, Mankato, St Cloud, Duluth and Mankato, keep in mind that those other 12 institutions have only been at the Division II level for 25-30 years. They just don't have the budgets to afford much for single-use facilities, save for a couple exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
            Wayne is about ready to spend some serious money on renovations to Rice Auditorium from what I gather. I'd rather see a new facility, but take what you can get I suppose.
            What kind of upgrades? I never thought of the wheelchair issues, being in the corner is not so cool. I'd like to see the stage turned into a booster club area.

Comment

How many NSIC have areas that serve alcohol? Either boosters or for sale ? Is it only Pentagon?

Comment

Wayne is about ready to spend some serious money on renovations to Rice Auditorium from what I gather. I'd rather see a new facility, but take what you can get I suppose.
                I don't see what kind of renovations could be made there, so will be interesting to see it when announced.

Comment

Originally posted by wsc94 View Post
                  How many NSIC have areas that serve alcohol? Either boosters or for sale ? Is it only Pentagon?
                  I think Pentagon might be it.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    I've been to all 16 basketball courts and football fields multiple times. So much of the atmosphere depends on if your team is winning and the opponent. Old Otto Arena at MSU was great when they hosted SDSU, UND or NDSU. The Taylor Center was the same, including St Cloud, Winona and Southwest when they brought a lot of fans.
                    So true! It's why I was never impressed by McCown pre-renovations. Because I was at a game before their title runs, and the gym was comparable to Crookston - wooden bleachers and all.

Comment

I've only been to SMSU, USF and Augie (all three of their homes) for games. I really liked the Elmen Center, nice on-campus facility. SMSU is nice, but almost too cavernous.
                      I like our tall ceilings, but yes it does go kinda deep beyond the bleachers. I don't really mind it too much, but it's definitely noticeable.

I almost wonder if it wasn't built for concerts, though we do use it for other things like large social events and such. Very much a multi-purpose facility.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I like our tall ceilings, but yes it does go kinda deep beyond the bleachers. I don't really mind it too much, but it's definitely noticeable.

I almost wonder if it wasn't built for concerts, though we do use it for other things like large social events and such. Very much a multi-purpose facility.
                        Similar to the Schwan REC, I believe it was marketed as a two-phase project in order to get funding, even though Phase 2 was likely never going to happen. In Phase 2, there was going to be a huge lobby makeover where fans would enter the arena from above the court, similar to how Taylor Center is laid out. There would be new locker rooms, classrooms and such as well. I once saw a rendering of it up on second floor of Founders.

Comment

The Johnson Alumni Room at MSU did serve alcohol which was limited entry to Hoops Club members, but just like the Touchdown Club tent it sounds like they won't have it this year. I'll miss that- not the alcohol- I don't drink- but the food between games. Nice place to catch up with a number of people who I don't sit nearby during games.

Comment

What kind of upgrades? I never thought of the wheelchair issues, being in the corner is not so cool. I'd like to see the stage turned into a booster club area.
                            From what I gather, yes the stage area would become a type of suite/booster area. The concourse areas I believe are going to be complete redone. Have heard the school may be building a practice bubble facility for football and may also include some practice courts for basketball/volleyball and an addition of some type to Rice. The core structure of Rice's playing surface would remain as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Similar to the Schwan REC, I believe it was marketed as a two-phase project in order to get funding, even though Phase 2 was likely never going to happen. In Phase 2, there was going to be a huge lobby makeover where fans would enter the arena from above the court, similar to how Taylor Center is laid out. There would be new locker rooms, classrooms and such as well. I once saw a rendering of it up on second floor of Founders.
                              I heard something about that. I'd be curious to see what the plans were.

I kinda think it's getting to be about time we spruce up our facilities, but I'm also not the one footing the bill.

Comment

Was at the Pentagon last night for a volleyball game and gave myself the full walkthrough. It's a very impressive facility. I like the HS HOF exhibits, and all the random photos and history they have everywhere. The bar area is very nice too, great touch.

They had the suites unlocked so people had filtered into those too, but I didn't go in.

Also nice that they had their own separate floor for volleyball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X