Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC (Historical) Postseason Discussion

Moorhead123 bringing up in one of the other threads that the Dragons have reached the Elite Eight led me to wonder about how far in the NCAA Tournament other NSIC schools have gone historically.

I can only go as far back as I've been following NSIC/NCC basketball, which is around 15-16 years, so others can weigh in with their input. I'm not looking for a comprehensive list of every postseason appearance for each school, just trying to determine the farthest along in the tournament each school has made it in the past. This is what I've come up with:

Augustana - National Champions (2016)
    Winona - National Champions (2006, 2008)
    Northern - National Runner-Up (2018...or 19?... I can't remember)
    St. Cloud - Final Four (2010...I remember because Taylor Witt put up 42 or 44 in their Elite Eight game, which is still ridiculous)
    Moorhead - Elite Eight (2015)
    SMSU - Elite Eight (2009)
    Mankato - Elite Eight? Final Four? (I feel like they hit a Final Four one of those circa-2011, 2012 years, but maybe I'm way off on that...)
    Wayne - I don't know. I'd imagine they have reached an Elite Eight farther back with McDermott or one of those older coaches, but I could very easily be wrong.
    Upper Iowa - First round of the Regional is the farthest they've made it so far, right? That would've been within the past few years.
    Bemidji - No idea if they've made the D2 tournament.
    Crookston - Probably not very far.
    Mary - Did they made the Regional during the Randall Herbst/Anthony Moody era?
    Minot - Don't think they've made it.
    Duluth - I would think somewhere in the first few rounds of the NCAA Tournament, but don't know if they've made it out of the region before. If they did, it was before my time.
    Concordia - I don't know? Have they made the tournament before?
    USF - Haven't made the D2 tournament.

I saw on Washburn's website that the Ichabods beat Minn-Duluth in the NAIA National Tourney 1st round (round of 32) in 1989 by 4 points.

Comment

Comment

I put this graphic together a couple years ago. This includes all NCC/NSIC regional appearances from 1994 to 2020 except Northern State's 1996 Midwest appearance.
        https://i.imgur.com/LLV00Te.png
        Attached Files

Comment

Mankato - Final Four.
          Mason/Hill/Hodges in 2011 - lost to Bellarmine

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            Moorhead123 bringing up in one of the other threads that the Dragons have reached the Elite Eight led me to wonder about how far in the NCAA Tournament other NSIC schools have gone historically.

I can only go as far back as I've been following NSIC/NCC basketball, which is around 15-16 years, so others can weigh in with their input. I'm not looking for a comprehensive list of every postseason appearance for each school, just trying to determine the farthest along in the tournament each school has made it in the past. This is what I've come up with:

St. Cloud - Final Four (2010...I remember because Taylor Witt put up 42 or 44 in their Elite Eight game, which is still ridiculous)
            Mankato - Elite Eight? Final Four? (I feel like they hit a Final Four one of those circa-2011, 2012 years, but maybe I'm way off on that...)
            Wayne - I don't know. I'd imagine they have reached an Elite Eight farther back with McDermott or one of those older coaches, but I could very easily be wrong.
            Upper Iowa - First round of the Regional is the farthest they've made it so far, right? That would've been within the past few years.
            Duluth - I would think somewhere in the first few rounds of the NCAA Tournament, but don't know if they've made it out of the region before. If they did, it was before my time.
            UIU was in the regionals in 2013 and lost to Auggie 65-79, and then in 2017 and lost to NWMS 74-79 in OT.

Comment

Mankato final four in 2010-2011
              Wayne made the region final in 99-00
              Upper Iowa only 1st rd losses
              Bemidji 1rd loss in 2003-2004
              Crookston never made it
              UMary 1st Rd loss 2010-2011
              Minot never made it
              Duluth 1st Rd loss 3 times
              Concordia and USF have never made it.
              This information is on page 4 of the NSIC record book.
              Last edited by NSUgrad; 03-10-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

SMSU also made the Elite Eight in '00-'01, lost by 3 in the Sweet 16 in '16-'17 - I think it was Ryan Bruggeman was a hair inside the three point line and the ball missed by about 2 inches. Heartbreaker of a loss to NWMSU.

Interestingly, SMSU never had basketball success in the NAIA. We only ever reached the second round of the district tournament. Looking at the records for some of those years - yikes.

A curiosity I found going through the records, why did we have to forfeit 5 wins in '92-'93?
                Last edited by SW_Mustang; 03-10-2022, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Miller scored 45 that night. Probably because of my youth at the time, but I have fonder memories of that team than any of the other Wolves teams since.

Stu Whitney put together a nice article about it when the Wolves were in the championship. He wrote a good one on Eric Kline when Mors broke his scoring record too. Not normally a big Stu fan, but I'll take Wolves coverage where I can find it.
                  The Wolves had recently risen from NAIA when they faced SDSU in the 1998 NCAA Division II regional finals in Brookings. Miller took over from there.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                    SMSU also made the Elite Eight in '00-'01, lost by 3 in the Sweet 16 in '16-'17 - I think it was Ryan Bruggeman was a hair inside the three point line and the ball missed by about 2 inches. Heartbreaker of a loss to NWMSU.

Interestingly, SMSU never had basketball success in the NAIA. We only ever reached the second round of the district tournament. Looking at the records for some of those years - yikes.

A curiosity I found going through the records, why did we have to forfeit 5 losses in '92-'93?
                    SMSU Elite Eight 2001 and 2009. Sweet 16 with Bruggeman as mentioned.

we used an ineligble player back in the early 90s. The program was a mess during the Odom Era

Comment

The farthest Wayne ever reached was a regional final (Sweet 16) for men.

The women have reached one Elite Eight.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

SMSU Elite Eight 2001 and 2009. Sweet 16 with Bruggeman as mentioned.

we used an ineligble player back in the early 90s. The program was a mess during the Odom Era
                        Ahh, that makes sense. It stood out when I was going through the records and I hadn't heard of it before.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X