Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I withdraw my above comment - I didn’t realize the link was for the women’s Massey ratings. My bad…

Comment

Instructional might be the best word to describe Saturday’s University of New Mexico women’s basketball exhibition game.

The Lobos and coach Mike Bradbury learned plenty from their 84-75 win over West Texas A&M in the Pit – some of it good, some not so good – but the overall result was exactly what Bradbury had in mind.

West Texas A&M, coming off an NCAA Division II Elite Eight run, was far from an exhibition cupcake and made the Lobos work for nearly everything they got. The Lady Buffs led by as many as eight points in the first half and took a 40-39 advantage to halftime before UNM took charge.

“It’s always good to play a team that’s really going to test you,” Bradbury said. “… They’re a well-coached team, bigger than us, and they took advantage of our mistakes. We’ll watch the video and learn a lot from this game.”

LaTascya Duff scored 17 points to pace four Lobos in double figures. Paula Reus added 15 points, with LaTora Duff and Shaiquel McGruder scoring 14 apiece.

All 15 players on the roster saw action for UNM, though some got fewer minutes than Bradbury might have liked. That was because West Texas A&M rocked the Lobos with a 23-4 run midway through the first half and managed to hang around until the closing minutes.

The Lady Buffs’ scoring tear drove one point home: UNM’s zone defense is not ready for prime time.

Bradbury and West Texas coach Josh Prock agreed in advance to play zone in the second quarter, allowing both teams to work on their zone offenses. That stretch was all Lady Buffs, who hit three 3-pointers and turned a 27-19 deficit into a 40-32 lead. UNM went 0-for-9 from long range in the second quarter.

“We’re both (man-to-man) teams,” Bradbury said, “but we’re going to face zones at some point and we wanted to work on it. Needless to say, that put us in a hole.”

Rio Rancho High School alum Kamirah Decker and Sienna Lenz netted two 3-pointers apiece during the Lady Buffs’ run. Decker finished with eight points, six rebounds and two assists in her return to the Pit.

UNM did have an answer. Aniyah Augmon’s three-point play capped a 7-0 run to trim the deficit to one point at halftime. The Lobos then opened the third quarter with an 18-4 surge to take its largest lead at 57-44. Both Duff sisters drained 3-pointers during the run.

“I felt like it was a little too close at halftime,” said LaTora, who had nine assists to go with her 14 points. “I kind of talked to the other starters and said, ‘Let’s get it rolling.'”

Bradbury substituted frequently during the late third and early fourth quarters but brought his starters back to close out the final minutes. West Texas never got closer than a six-point defecit in the fourth quarter but remained in striking distance until the final minute.

“I thought the freshmen and new players looked good,” Bradbury said. “They played hard and played together. We probably played (McGruder) and the twins a little more than we would’ve liked, but in the last six minutes we wanted to make sure to win the game.”

Viané Cumber scored six points to pace UNM’s reserves, draining a pair of first-half 3-pointers. Freshman Jaelyn Bates had a solid debut with two points, three rebounds and an assist in 13 minutes.

Freshmen Hannah Robbins and Brooke Berry hit their first shots as Lobos, as did junior transfer Hulda Joaquim (a 3-pointer).

“I thought everyone helped out,” LaTascya Duff said. “Once we get the freshmen out there more, our chemistry with them will build. I’d say this was a good start.”

The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

If anyone cares, the MIAA is offering another flash sale before the start of the winter sports knocking $125 down to $110.

https://themiaa.com/news/2022/10/23/...ay-oct-31.aspx

The sale ends Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
          I see west Texas picked up Ryland Holt from Mankato. Will be interesting to see how he does this year. He has plenty of athletic abilities. Could be a good addition to the buffaloes. Brown and toussant have to be the best under 6 foot backcourt in d2.
          I've been to a few practices. It looks like Holt will be a key member of WT's lineup. He has shown me the ability to step out and shoot the 3. In the practices I've been at, he's hitting about 50%. That is what Tom Brown's team is all about. Shoot the open shot, especially in transition. And, knock it down! Holt fits nicely into Brown's style of play.

Zach Toussaint's shooting is just bonkers.

WT could be pretty good this year. The NWM game will be a good test. WT will be trying to add Holt and the 5th year transfer from SWOkla to it's game as well as a talented freshman guard from Az. I don't think WT will be at it's best in game 1. NW by 11 is my best bet.
          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-01-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post

Thank you. Great information!
            LCU women aren't the same perennial NC contenders this season.

Gomez is a great coach and he will coach UP what he has. I just don't think he has the talent he's had in previous seasons. Frankly, the new WT coach has got the local recruits that Gomez would usually be handed by default. The old WT coach didn't recruit hard locally. It was puzzling. Gomez did. And he won NC's with local girls. The new WT coach has zeroed in on local talent. And he's gathering them in like a good Sheltie gathers in the sheep (we have wonderful Shelties in our family). It will pay off for WT.
            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-01-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I've been to a few practices. It looks like Holt will be a key member of WT's lineup. He has shown me the ability to step out and shoot the 3. In the practices I've been at, he's hitting about 50%. That is what Tom Brown's team is all about. Shoot the open shot, especially in transition. And, knock it down! Holt fits nicely into Brown's style of play.

WT could be pretty good this year. The NWM game will be a good test. WT will be trying to add Holt and the 5th year transfer from SWOkla to it's game as well as a talented freshman guard from Az. I don't think WT will be at it's best in game 1. NW by 11 is my best bet.
              NW is filling a big hole at the PG position. From my understanding, WT returns a lot (maybe everyone?). Double digit win for NW would be surprising starting the season off. Will be interesting to see how the team looks as it transitions for the first time in a long time without a stud PG. Each time a PG graduated in the last 10 years or so we heard the next one was going to be really good (Cooper>Pitts>Hudgins). I think we have some solid players at the position but don't think it will be anything like what those 3 provided.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Holt is a good player and probably needs new scenery to get going again. Toussaint is one of best shooters I have ever seen. WT can hang with NW Mo, but they need to play well. NW Mo one of the most disciplined teams I have ever seen. They defend extremely well. Loss of Hudgins is a huge blow, but they have other very good players that may just find a way to be great again this year.

Comment

Wt opens the Conference Challenge with Colorado Mesa. On paper, Wt appears to be the stronger team. However, that's why we play the game.
                  Wt plays the host school, South Dakota Mines on Saturday

The Colorado Mesa women's basketball team will open the season this weekend at the D2 Conference Challenge event in Rapid City, S.D. at the King Center on the campus of South Dakota Mines. They will take on No. 6 ranked West Texas A&M on Friday evening before a matchup with Texas Permian Basin on Saturday evening.

THE LONE MAVERICK
                  Redshirt senior Monica Brooks is the lone senior on this season's roster and the lone returning starter on this year's team. Brooks averaged 7.3 points and 4.3 rebounds while playing in all 30 games and making 19 starts during her junior season.

Brooks' best game came on February 26 against Fort Lewis where she had 19 points and six rebounds in the win over the Skyhawks.

NEW ROLES
                  Kylie Kravig and Tia Slade are likely to step into new roles this year after coming off the bench a season ago. Both sophomores will likely enter the starting lineup this season with Kravig playing in 29 games as a freshman and Slade just 13 games in her first collegiate season.

Kravig will likely run the point and will be asked to distribute and knock down a three from time to time. She had 41 total assists and had a season-high six assists against MSU Denver in the RMAC Tournament semifinals.

Slade also had her best game of her freshman season against MSU Denver in RMAC Tournament semifinals where she had a season-high 13 points.

FRESH FACES
                  The Mavericks have nine freshmen on the roster this year so it is no surprise that two of them will likely be in the starting lineup. The two that are most likely to make their debut in the starting lineup are Jamisyn Heaton and Olivia Reed.

Heaton will be opposite Slade at either two or three position on the wing. The Lehi, Utah native is a solid offensive player as she can take her defender off the dribble or pull up and shoot.

Reed is a four-time All-State selection out of Windsor High School will be the likely starter at either the four or five opposite of senior Monica Brooks. The former Northern League Player of the Year has great touch around the basket and will be a force in the rebounding game.

SCOUTING THE BUFFS
                  West Texas A&M enters the weekend 2-0 after defeating a pair of non-conference opponents as a part of the D2CCA Women's Tip-off Classic in Kansas City, Mo. They earned a 71-58 win over No. 3 Fort Hays State and a 59-53 win over Nebraska-Kearney who was receiving votes in the preseason WBCA National Poll.

The Buffs, an NCAA Elite Eight participant in 2022, are coached by Josh Prock in his second year after coming over from nearby Eastern New Mexico University. Prock was 26-11 a season ago and is now 105-52 in his career.

Kayley Motschenbacher is a National Player of the Year candidate as she is already averaging 19 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. She is shooting over 66 percent from beyond the arc and scored 21 points against UNK last weekend.

Comment

Wt WBB is currently undefeated and ranked #2 in the nation. I have been a fan of the Lady Buffs for a loooooong time.
                    Nobody knows the final outcome of the season, however, this is going to be a fun ride. I have been telling all my friends
                    Wt was going to be pretty good. I was wrong, Wt is going to be very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Holt is a good player and probably needs new scenery to get going again. Toussaint is one of best shooters I have ever seen. WT can hang with NW Mo, but they need to play well. NW Mo one of the most disciplined teams I have ever seen. They defend extremely well. Loss of Hudgins is a huge blow, but they have other very good players that may just find a way to be great again this year.
                      His numbers would indicate he is playing the same passive style on both ends this year. Lot of season left, and I haven’t actually seen a game of theirs, but it appears very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                        Wt WBB is currently undefeated and ranked #2 in the nation. I have been a fan of the Lady Buffs for a loooooong time.
                        Nobody knows the final outcome of the season, however, this is going to be a fun ride. I have been telling all my friends
                        Wt was going to be pretty good. I was wrong, Wt is going to be very good.
                        I was very impressed by them earlier this month in KC. They have a good all-around game, very good guard play + more good bigs than any team I've seen, that makes them a very tough matchup for anyone. I think they will go to the Elite 8 again, and will be very tough to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

IIRC The MIAA Network paid out over $500k (total) to schools last year...small potatoes compared to D1, but still, pretty decent for a small online streaming deal.
                          Truly love the MIAA Network. It's cheap - $125 for every game, every team, every sport, men's and women's.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post

I was very impressed by them earlier this month in KC. They have a good all-around game, very good guard play + more good bigs than any team I've seen, that makes them a very tough matchup for anyone. I think they will go to the Elite 8 again, and will be very tough to beat.
                            Thanks, expectations are high. The girls have T-Shirts with the Wt logo on the front and on the back it says, "Win the last game."
                            We are also red-shirting two freshmen who were All-State high school players in their Jr. & Sr. years.
                            This is going to be fun.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X