Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best All-Time NSIC Player(s)

Saw this retweeted by Chad Courrier (note: he disagrees) and figured it might potentially make for some interesting message board discussion, if nothing else.

Re: Best All-Time NSIC Player(s)

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Saw this retweeted by Chad Courrier (note: he disagrees) and figured it might potentially make for some interesting message board discussion, if nothing else.

It of course all depends on how you define it. Best individual player? Best player on best team? Most talented? Also very difficult to say that about a current sophomore. He may well end up being the best player in conference history, but way too early to say that now.

Comment

Eric kline

Comment

This guy must have never seen John Smith play. How about Danimal?

Comment

In my opinion, the best players I've ever seen in-person were John Smith, Jonte Flowers, Casey Schilling and Daniel Jansen.

I've never seen Gage Davis play though, so it's hard for me to have an opinion on that matter. I do think it would be pretty hard to compare him to John Smith, who was the 2x National Player of the Year as well as the NCAA Tournament's Most Outstanding Player his sophomore year.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            As glad as I am that Jansen was a Viking, in Gage's defense, he's putting up substantially better numbers than Dan put up in his first two years in the NSIC.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
              Eric kline
              It can't be Kline. We (BSU) held him under 40 on several occasions! ; - )

Comment

Originally posted by Toucanbird View Post
                In my opinion, the best players I've ever seen in-person were John Smith, Jonte Flowers, Casey Schilling and Daniel Jansen...
                Toucanbird: As great as Smith was, he (like everyone else) would have been very nervous posting up or driving to the hoop on fellow WSU Warrior, Gus "the Cat" Johnson, a 1975 Atlanta Hawk draft pick. He was the best shot blocker I ever played against and that includes 5-time NBA defensive All-Star Danny Roundfield (CMU). Gus Johnson has to be in this conversation.

Comment

I think most of the top names have been mentioned already.

Davis might have the potential to be there one day, but I wouldn't put him there yet. Never saw Kline, but stats mandate his inclusion. Plus the two best players from the two national championship programs (Smith and Flowers, Jansen and Schilling). That's probably my top five.

BTW in terms of career scoring average, Davis is currently fourth in NSIC history behind Kline, Larry Grimes (MI Tech 68-72) and Brett Beeson (MSUM 93-96). He's 30th in total points (NSIC games only) at 933. Jansen set the record last year at 1,521.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    Actually, Murken has been around a little while. He was a grad assistant and then assistant coach at Wayne during the John Smith era, so he did coach against Smith. He's been at Minot long enough to have seen Danimal in his nightmares. Eric Kline and Gus Johnson would be well before his time though.

It is possible that Murken believes what he said, or it might just be a heat of the moment statement plus bias towards recent events, as Davis did just put up a ton of points last weekend against his squad.

I haven't seen Davis this year so I have no opinion at all, other than "best of all time" is a tall hill to climb.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
                      Toucanbird: As great as Smith was, he (like everyone else) would have been very nervous posting up or driving to the hoop on fellow WSU Warrior, Gus "the Cat" Johnson, a 1975 Atlanta Hawk draft pick. He was the best shot blocker I ever played against and that includes 5-time NBA defensive All-Star Danny Roundfield (CMU). Gus Johnson has to be in this conversation.
                      That was well before my time, Coach (as I'm sure you're aware). That happened 10 years before I was even born, although I do remember seeing his name plastered all over the WSU record books when I was there.

Comment

Speaking of John Smith, we just hit the 10 year anniversary of "The Dunk"

Comment

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
                          It can't be Kline. We (BSU) held him under 40 on several occasions! ; - )
                          All phenomenal accomplishment!

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            All phenomenal accomplishment!
                            Hey, you try to guard him! ; - )

Comment

Having not followed NSIC before 2008, I cannot speak for past greats. Dan Jansen last season on the road to the NC hit two last second winning shots against great opponents, U of Iowa and more importantly a NBA range 3 pointer on NWMSU. His stats speak for himself.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X