Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23-24 Rules changes

Couple of changes this year that will be interesting to follow.
    --The rule for a block/charge has changed. Used to be that the defender had to be there before the offensive player left the ground, now the defender needs to be there before the offensive player puts his foot down.
    --There are no more numbering restrictions, except taht it cannot be more that 2 digite. Interesting to see if there are any Div. II schools that will order extra uniforms.

On a side note, you clowns will no longer be able to yell/complain about my favorite referee in the league. You'll be happy to know, he has left the state.

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    Couple of changes this year that will be interesting to follow.
    --The rule for a block/charge has changed. Used to be that the defender had to be there before the offensive player left the ground, now the defender needs to be there before the offensive player puts his foot down.
    --There are no more numbering restrictions, except taht it cannot be more that 2 digite. Interesting to see if there are any Div. II schools that will order extra uniforms.

On a side note, you clowns will no longer be able to yell/complain about my favorite referee in the league. You'll be happy to know, he has left the state.
    Does this mean before the foot down prior to taking off? Is it designed to create fewer charges?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
      Does this mean before the foot down prior to taking off? Is it designed to create fewer charges?
      Yes and I believe it for less contact.

Comment

So basically it has gotten even harder to take a charge, correct? Should be fun to watch every guy just throw themselves full speed at the basket for a layup or foul. (I would have said dunk, layup, or foul, but now that that one guy from Northern has been gone a few years, we see fewer of those in the NSIC.)

Comment

I don't get how you minimize contact by making taking a charge tougher. Doesn't that lead to more attempts to block shots which means both guys jumping into each other? Where on a block/charge play, one guy stands still and the other (should) try to avoid him.

Also, making help defense more difficult is just more advantage to teams that body guys on the perimeter before they get to the lane, which tends to be the part of the game officials have the most difficulty being consistent with.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Rover View Post
            I don't get how you minimize contact by making taking a charge tougher. Doesn't that lead to more attempts to block shots which means both guys jumping into each other? Where on a block/charge play, one guy stands still and the other (should) try to avoid him.

Also, making help defense more difficult is just more advantage to teams that body guys on the perimeter before they get to the lane, which tends to be the part of the game officials have the most difficulty being consistent with.
            The worst collisions in basketball come when somebody tries to take a charge, specifically when the defender slides in late on a player elevating toward the basket. It is why they implemented the halo around the basket a few years ago. If the defender is going up to block a shot, the contact is not as bad as a someone undercutting the shooter.

Comment

The worst collisions in basketball come when somebody tries to take a charge, specifically when the defender slides in late on a player elevating toward the basket. It is why they implemented the halo around the basket a few years ago. If the defender is going up to block a shot, the contact is not as bad as a someone undercutting the shooter.
              In the women's game, they have done away with the halo. The women just can't stand directly under the basket.

Comment

Wish I could give 100 "likes" to this comment. This new rule interpretation could have a very positive effect on the game. Beyond reducing bad collisions, it might also help alleviate the flopping epidemic that has been destroying the game. It should be an incentive to return to the way basketball defense was played a couple of decades ago (yes, I'm becoming a grumpy old man). Try to block or alter the shot instead of falling over like a European soccer player.

On the other hand, I don't care for the new numbering rule. Leave the high numbers to the NBA. And to answer Simple's question, yes, Wayne State must have new uni's because their roster lists a #6 and a #7 this year.
                Last edited by cat fan; 10-27-2023, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

Wish I could give 100 "likes" to this comment. This new rule interpretation could have a very positive effect on the game. Beyond reducing bad collisions, it might also help alleviate the flopping epidemic that has been destroying the game. It should be an incentive to return to the way basketball defense was played a couple of decades ago (yes, I'm becoming a grumpy old man). Try to block or alter the shot instead of falling over like a European soccer player.
                  In a perfect world that works, but I could also see the increase in both blocking foul calls and blocked shot attempts leading to 15 more free throws a game, which really isn't good for anybody. Kills the flow of the game, and these double-headers are long enough already.

Comment

I’d trade the 21st century game of charging to the basket as hard as you want with the 20th century game of less contact, more finesse and relying on the talents of jump shooting, defending the back door and boxing out.

I occasionally wonder what would happen if they changed the rule to frequently call double fouls on the charging/blocking collisions. Think for a moment how often you hear an announcer say “that could’ve went either way” or two referees exchange facial expressions before one of them signals their foul call since they may have seen the contact differently.

How much would the game shift back if a player knew charging to the basket would most likely result in being called a foul?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I'm bumping this back up. We've now watched about a half season of the new block/charge rules. Anybody unhappy? I'm personally loving the lack of flopping which has almost become rare in the game. While I don't have stats, it doesn't seem like substantially greater free throws have been a result.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I'm bumping this back up. We've now watched about a half season of the new block/charge rules. Anybody unhappy? I'm personally loving the lack of flopping which has almost become rare in the game. While I don't have stats, it doesn't seem like substantially greater free throws have been a result.
                        I think things are heading in the right direction overall. In reality about 90% of the “50-50” block/charge calls should be blocking fouls. Seems like these have been better officiated this year overall.

As far as flopping, they seem to be heading in the right direction here as well. The way to get rid of flopping is not flop warnings and techs, it is no-calls. Which there have been more of this year than any year in recent memory in my opinion. It is human nature to want to call something when someone goes down so hopefully this will keep improving year after year as more officials favor no-calls in these situations.

Comment

Maybe Duluth?

i kid… mostly. :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X