Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final NSIC All-Conference predictions?

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Hence my mention that I would probably forget somebody obvious. Yes, I am guessing it goes to Doyle. Although, I would imagine that any other graduate transfer from out of the conference would likely be a Newcomer candidate, so it would seem Busack should be eligible. Unless coming from an in-conference team changes the rule.
    All good, figured it was just an oversight since you had him on the 1st team right below that.

Comment

Just to get things going, I'll throw out my sad attempt at knowing things:

Player of the Year: Gage Davis - My guess is he wins it due simply to his eye-popping numbers, even if his team doesn't make the Regional this year (short of a strong NSIC Tourney run, obviously). Actual winner: Aaron Lien, Moorhead

Defensive Player of the Year: John Warren - I never pay as close attention to other teams' defenders to really have an informed opinion about this, I just know that if I were a basketball player, I would not want John Warren guarding me for the entirety of a game. I think that would be miserable. Actual winner: Jordan Hay, UIU

Freshman of the Year: Harrison Clearly is the obvious choice, but I think in almost any other year, Jai'Vionne Green would be a strong candidate. Then again, we probably could've said the same thing about whoever was 2nd best after Gage Davis last season. Got one right, at least.

Newcomer of the Year: Jon Doss at Moorhead? Aarias Austin at Mankato? I can see it being either of them. But I also haven't paid close attention, so maybe I'm overlooking someone obvious. Actual winner: Logan Doyle, Northern - in my defense, I agreed with that corrected suggestion when I was made aware of my oversight, I just never jumped in and changed it on here.

Coach of the Year: Chad Walthall - My guess is that it goes to Walthall, even though SMSU fans will lament that the Mustangs were picked to finish 7th and ended up finishing 2nd overall and that's more impressive than Walthall's outright conference title. I don't entirely disagree, but, as these awards have shown over the years, the award almost always goes to the coach who wins the conference outright, other than when Bigler won it a few years ago. But maybe I'll be proven wrong on this one. Actual winner: Brad Bigler

Actual 1st Team:
      Jordan Spencer, Augustana
      Bryan Jefferson, U-Mary
      Jon Fuqua, Mankato
      Tanner Kretchman, Moorhead
      Aaron Lien, Moorhead
      Tyler Rudolph, Minot
      Logan Doyle, Northern
      Ryan Bruggeman, SMSU
      Gage Davis, St. Cloud
      Carson Parker, UIU

My predicted All-NSIC 1st Team:
      -Jordan Spencer, Augie
      -Gage Davis, St. Cloud
      -Scottie Stone, St. Cloud
      -Tyler Rudolph, Minot
      -Aaron Lien, Moorhead
      -Tanner Kretchman, Moorhead
      -Mack Arvidson, Northern
      -Logan Doyle?, Northern
      -Bryan Jefferson, U-Mary
      -Harrison Cleary, Crookston

Actual 2nd Team:
      -Mike Busack, Augustana
      -Harrison Cleary, Crookston
      -Joey Witthus, Mankato
      -Mack Arvidson, Northern
      -Ian Smith, Northern,
      -Ayob Ayob, Moorhead
      -Scottie Stone, St. Cloud
      -Jordan Hay, UIU
      -Kendall Jacks, Wayne
      -Riley Bambenek, Winona

My predicted All-NSIC 2nd Team:
      -Ayob Ayob, Moorhead
      -Mike Busack, Augie
      -Ryan Bruggeman, SMSU
      -Mitch Weg, SMSU
      -Jon Fuqua, Mankato
      -Joey Witthus, Mankato
      -Jai'Vionne Green, Bemidji
      -Drew Geubert, USF
      -Riley Bambenek, WSU
      -Damonta Henry, U-Mary
      Shows what I know: http://northernsun.org/news/2017/2/2...223170839.aspx

Congrats to Wayne for getting a player on the All-Conference team. Have the Wildcats had anyone make that cut since Amry Shelby? Or am I overlooking someone obvious? Either way, I do think Kaminsky is going to get the Wildcats into a much better place over the next few years.

I was going to Argue about Jordan Hay over John Warren but Hay has surprisingly (to me, at least) well-rounded defensive stats that are better than or comparable to Warren's overall, with substantially better rebounding numbers. I still think I like Warren on the court as a long, defensive guard more than Hay, but the stats don't lie.
      Last edited by MrAugustana; 02-23-2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Congrats to Wayne for getting a player on the All-Conference team. Have the Wildcats had anyone make that cut since Amry Shelby? Or am I overlooking someone obvious? Either way, I do think Kaminsky is going to get the Wildcats into a much better place over the next few years.

I was going to Argue about Jordan Hay over John Warren but Hay has surprisingly (to me, at least) well-rounded defensive stats that are better than or comparable to Warren's overall, with substantially better rebounding numbers. I still think I like Warren on the court as a long, defensive guard more than Hay, but the stats don't lie.
        Good for Kendall. Heck of a player who was sidelined much of his freshman year with injury. Glad to see him get some recognition. Kaminsky seems to be a great gameday coach, hopefully he can recruit as well. And no, there have not been any first or second All-NSIC selections for the Wildcats since Amry Shelby.

Comment

It is hard to predict these things, that's for sure. I felt Bruggeman was deserving of first team, but am surprised he actually made it. winning teams were rewarded and hard to argue with the selections.

You are also right regarding Wayne. Deserving choice.

No arguments with Aaron Lien as POY.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
            No arguments with Aaron Lien as POY.
            So what your saying is that the POY goes to the best player on the best team. Okay, then Lien deserved it.

Gage Davis was the best player in the league this year, He will be the best player in the league next year and he will be the best player in the league 2 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
              So what your saying is that the POY goes to the best player on the best team. Okay, then Lien deserved it.

Gage Davis was the best player in the league this year, He will be the best player in the league next year and he will be the best player in the league 2 years from now.
              Totally agree. Goes back to the age old argument of defining what MVP or POY actually means. Davis had two factors going against him in that his team was only 14-8 and he's just a sophomore. I think he is so much better than everyone else he could overcome one of those shortcomings, but not both. Too many voters who skew towards winning teams and upperclassmen. Fair or not, its just the way it goes.

Aaron Lien is a fine, if unspectacular, choice. Maybe shows the state of the league a little...can't remember the last time we had a POY that no one exactly fears. Not to say he isn't good...he is really good...just more a fundamentally solid, but probably isn't going to take the game over kind of player. A poor man's Kevin Ratsch.

I fully expect Gage Davis to win back-to-back POY's in the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by colt45 View Post
                Totally agree. Goes back to the age old argument of defining what MVP or POY actually means. Davis had two factors going against him in that his team was only 14-8 and he's just a sophomore. I think he is so much better than everyone else he could overcome one of those shortcomings, but not both. Too many voters who skew towards winning teams and upperclassmen. Fair or not, its just the way it goes.

Aaron Lien is a fine, if unspectacular, choice. Maybe shows the state of the league a little...can't remember the last time we had a POY that no one exactly fears. Not to say he isn't good...he is really good...just more a fundamentally solid, but probably isn't going to take the game over kind of player. A poor man's Kevin Ratsch.

Players whose teams win get more credit than players whose teams don't win...and that's as it should be to a certain extent. Now if a kid comes in and his game improves his teams win total from say 10 games to 20 games or something similar where the team obviously turned a corner success wise, then i think there is a legit argument as they obviously made their team better. The game is more than points, rebounds, assists, etc. Leadership, moxy, savvy, feel, x-factor - whatever you want to call it - goes a long ways in making a player. I've always felt that they should name a CPY (Cerebral Player of the Year) or RPY (Role-Player of the Year) - I'll leaving the name up to one of you guys who knows a lot more about it than I do - but you know what I mean. Just for those guys who when you play against them, or scout them as a coach you don't like them because of all the small things they do that makes their team so much better...guys you hate to play against, but would love to have them on your team...unselfish, toughness, sets screens, blocks out their guy, takes charges, leads teams huddles, always talking, etc. REALLY wish conferences and coaches would recognize those guys...that's something you could put on a resume...

Comment

Originally posted by colt45 View Post

2003-04 Charles Hanks, Bemidji State 1st place
                  2004-05 Matt Hammer, Northern State 3rd place
                  2005-06 David Zellmann, Winona State 1st place
                  2006-07 John Smith, Winona State (NABC DII Player of the Year) 1st place
                  2007-08 John Smith, Winona State (DII Player of the Year) 1st place
                  2008-09 Kevin Ratzsch, Northern State 7th place
                  2009-10 Matt Schneck, St. Cloud State 2nd place
                  2010-11 Anthony Moody, University of Mary 2nd place
                  2011-12 James Ellisor, Bemidji State (Daktronics Player of the Year) 1st place
                  2012-13 Clayton Vette, Winona State (NABC DII Player of the Year) 2nd place
                  2013-14 Zach Monaghan, Minnesota State 1st place
                  2014-15 Daniel Jansen, Augustana & Jordan Reiver, MSU Moorhead 1st place and 2nd place
                  2015-16 Daniel Jansen, Augustana 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by Pistols_33 View Post
                    The game is more than points, rebounds, assists, etc. Leadership, moxy, savvy, feel, x-factor - whatever you want to call it - goes a long ways in making a player. I've always felt that they should name a CPY (Cerebral Player of the Year) or RPY (Role-Player of the Year) - I'll leaving the name up to one of you guys who knows a lot more about it than I do - but you know what I mean. Just for those guys who when you play against them, or scout them as a coach you don't like them because of all the small things they do that makes their team so much better...guys you hate to play against, but would love to have them on your team...unselfish, toughness, sets screens, blocks out their guy, takes charges, leads teams huddles, always talking, etc. REALLY wish conferences and coaches would recognize those guys...that's something you could put on a resume...
                    Just call it the Mustang of the Year award.....I'm kidding, but to be serious an SMSU player would probably be high on the list in most years.

Comment

I'll probably get killed for saying this, but what if Gage Davis is one of those players who just gets his numbers and doesn't improve guys around him? Should he still be recognized?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                        2003-04 Charles Hanks, Bemidji State 1st place
                        2004-05 Matt Hammer, Northern State 3rd place
                        2005-06 David Zellmann, Winona State 1st place
                        2006-07 John Smith, Winona State (NABC DII Player of the Year) 1st place
                        2007-08 John Smith, Winona State (DII Player of the Year) 1st place
                        2008-09 Kevin Ratzsch, Northern State 7th place
                        2009-10 Matt Schneck, St. Cloud State 2nd place
                        2010-11 Anthony Moody, University of Mary 2nd place
                        2011-12 James Ellisor, Bemidji State (Daktronics Player of the Year) 1st place
                        2012-13 Clayton Vette, Winona State (NABC DII Player of the Year) 2nd place
                        2013-14 Zach Monaghan, Minnesota State 1st place
                        2014-15 Daniel Jansen, Augustana & Jordan Reiver, MSU Moorhead 1st place and 2nd place
                        2015-16 Daniel Jansen, Augustana (NABC DII Player of the Year) 1st place
                        Forgot something. :)

On a serious note, solid research, as always.

Comment

Forgot something. :)

On a serious note, solid research, as always.
                          Copy and paste from record book on NSIC website, so blame them...

Comment

Copy and paste from record book on NSIC website, so blame them...
                            To be clear, my serious note was genuine. I assumed you had to look up each player and then separately look up how his team finished that year. I am dumb and that's how I would have done it. Wasn't trying to be sarcastic.

Comment

To be clear, my serious note was genuine. I assumed you had to look up each player and then separately look up how his team finished that year. I am dumb and that's how I would have done it. Wasn't trying to be sarcastic.
                              Yes I know. And I did. But that was pretty quick. Took maybe two minutes tops.

My reply was only to the notion I forgot something lol

Comment

Yes I know. And I did. But that was pretty quick. Took maybe two minutes tops.

My reply was only to the notion I forgot something lol
                                Gotcha. Just didn't want to give you any extra reason to go full NSU4LIFE on me with some sort of "Every Augie fan is the devil" mindset.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X