Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are my final predictions for the OTY awards & All-Conference…

Player of the Year – Drew Blair (Duluth)
    Three weeks ago I said the race between Blair & Malik Willingham was very tight, but I think Blair has widened it quite a bit since then. During Duluth’s ongoing 11-game winning streak, Blair has averaged 25.5 PTS and 5.2 REB, with shooting splits of 52.7/40.4/78.8%. During the same stretch, Willingham’s averaged 18.4 PTS, 3.3 REB, 5.2 AST & 43.3%/32.9%/81.8% shooting. Willingham has more talent around him, so he facilitates more than Blair (4.5 AST/g for the season vs. 2.1 for Blair). But I think the voters (the coaches, right?) will end up voting for the guy who was the pre-season POTY pick, and has been the engine behind a team that is looking really fearsome heading into the postseason.

(A special shout out to Isaac Fink, who I said would have an outside chance at this, and has been DYNAMITE this last month, performing just as well as Blair in the last 11 games. I just don’t see voters giving POTY to a guy on a team with a 13-9 conference record.)

Defensive Player of the Year – Cliff Cofield (SMSU)
    I can’t even think of who else would be an option here. Cofield is #1 in the defensive counting stat that voters most weigh (1.9 STL/g), but the eye-test also says he’s very apparently the defender that most teams would worry about/gameplan around. SMSU’s 3rd in scoring defense, 1st in defensive FG%, and 2nd in STL/g, and Cofield is the main part of all of that. I’ll be upset if he doesn’t get it this year.

Freshman of the Year – Aeron Stevens (SMSU)
    This is assuming they bring this award back this year after a 2-year hiatus (thinking they might since we’ll only have 1 POTY this year). I gave Arhman Lewis some consideration, as his insertion to the starting lineup was very impactful to Augie’s mid-season turnaround. But Stevens has played 100 more minutes this season (3.6 more MIN/g), averaged 4 more PTS/g, and gets to the FT line a crazy amount (5.7 FTA/g, 2nd in conference). I’ve rarely seen a true freshman be so physical in the paint as he has been.

Newcomer of the Year – Dylan Peeters (Mankato)
    Assuming the FOTY award happens and this award goes to a transfer, I’m saying Peeters gets it, but with the lowest amount of confidence of any of these award. I really don’t know on this one. I’m stuck between Peeters, JaMir Price (MSUM), and Trey Deveaux (Wayne). I think Deveaux is actually the safest lock for an All-Conference spot over the other two, as the best player on a team voters may want to give one All-Conf spot to, but I have a feeling voters would want to give this award to someone who had an impact on a contending team. So between Peeters & Price, it’s splitting hairs on what you value. If you want the consistently solid guy who does all the little things (rebounding, getting fouled, some interior passing), vote Peeters. If you want the occasionally flashy guy who can take over/win a game and fill up the bucket, vote Price. I’ll say more voters want the former. (Suppose it’s possible Justin Eagins wins this thing, too, but I’m not sure if he’d count as a true newcomer, nor would I be sure people would pick him over his teammate Peeters.)

Coach of the Year – Matt Margenthaler (Mankato)
    Gaaaaah, I REALLY wanted Matt Murken of Minot to get this, as I respect that team’s tanker-turning with the same roster as last year. But Minot’s lost 4 of their last 6, and COTY never goes to a team outside the top 2 of the conf. standings. And Margenthaler has done a great job, seamlessly incorporating 3 transfers into a starting lineup that’s the best in the NSIC, and getting his team to cut down on the turnovers that’s plagued them the last few seasons. He’s earned it.

(For All-Conference teams, I'm assuming they stick to the bloated 12-guys-per-team structure. If they slim down to 10 per team, then kick my last 2 on 1st team to 2nd, and my last 4 on 2nd to off the list.)

All-Conference First Team
    • Drew Blair (Duluth)
    • Malik Willingham (Mankato)
    • Isaac Fink (Augie)
    • John Sutherland (Bemidji)
    • Connor Dillon (Winona)
    • Jacksen Moni (Northern)
    • Josh Dilling (Northern) – yes, a bad Northern team gets two guys on 1st team, because without these two they would be utterly dreadful. Moni & Dilling’s stats are eye-catching.
    • Jake Phipps (SMSU)
    • Khari Broadway (Minot) – has struggled of late, but I think Minot will get a 1st team designee.
    • Jacob Beeninga (MSUM) – gosh, his shooting numbers are just sooo bad, but I don’t see where MSUM doesn’t get a 1st team pick, and voters will pick Beeninga for his scoring & the fact that the offense largely revolves around him.
    • Jack Thompson (Sioux Falls) – one of those “legacy” picks for a senior who “plays the game the right way”, as Augieholic pointed out
    • Kyreese Willingham (Mankato) – the 2nd best Mankato guy, and would be fun to have two brothers on 1st team together.
    All-Conference Second Team
    • Jadan Graves (Augie) – would love to see him on 1st team, but I think Mankato’s more likely to get their 2nd guy on.
    • Trey Deveaux (Wayne)
    • Dalton Albrecht (Bemidji)
    • Charlie Katona (Duluth)
    • Blaize Sagna (Crookston) – dropped him from 1st team since he’s no longer the leading scorer in the conf (is now 5th) and his shooting has plummeted the last 3 weeks.
    • Cliff Cofield (SMSU)
    • Marcus Skeete (Concordia)
    • Dane Zimmer (MSUM) – another one of those “legacy” picks.
    • Connor Hollenbeck (Minot)
    • Aeron Stevens (SMSU)
    • JaMir Price (MSUM)
    • Dylan Peeters (Mankato)
    Feeling fairly uncertain about the last three 2nd team spots (if we get that far), as Price’s spot could just as well go to Ja’Kair Sanchez or Logan Kinsey from the Dragons. Eagins could sneak in there too, and maybe Reid Grant (Crookston) if voters overlook team success in favor of numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Emmert's Burner View Post
      Here are my final predictions for the OTY awards & All-Conference…

Player of the Year – Drew Blair (Duluth)
      Three weeks ago I said the race between Blair & Malik Willingham was very tight, but I think Blair has widened it quite a bit since then. During Duluth’s ongoing 11-game winning streak, Blair has averaged 25.5 PTS and 5.2 REB, with shooting splits of 52.7/40.4/78.8%. During the same stretch, Willingham’s averaged 18.4 PTS, 3.3 REB, 5.2 AST & 43.3%/32.9%/81.8% shooting. Willingham has more talent around him, so he facilitates more than Blair (4.5 AST/g for the season vs. 2.1 for Blair). But I think the voters (the coaches, right?) will end up voting for the guy who was the pre-season POTY pick, and has been the engine behind a team that is looking really fearsome heading into the postseason.

(A special shout out to Isaac Fink, who I said would have an outside chance at this, and has been DYNAMITE this last month, performing just as well as Blair in the last 11 games. I just don’t see voters giving POTY to a guy on a team with a 13-9 conference record.)

Defensive Player of the Year – Cliff Cofield (SMSU)
      I can’t even think of who else would be an option here. Cofield is #1 in the defensive counting stat that voters most weigh (1.9 STL/g), but the eye-test also says he’s very apparently the defender that most teams would worry about/gameplan around. SMSU’s 3rd in scoring defense, 1st in defensive FG%, and 2nd in STL/g, and Cofield is the main part of all of that. I’ll be upset if he doesn’t get it this year.

Freshman of the Year – Aeron Stevens (SMSU)
      This is assuming they bring this award back this year after a 2-year hiatus (thinking they might since we’ll only have 1 POTY this year). I gave Arhman Lewis some consideration, as his insertion to the starting lineup was very impactful to Augie’s mid-season turnaround. But Stevens has played 100 more minutes this season (3.6 more MIN/g), averaged 4 more PTS/g, and gets to the FT line a crazy amount (5.7 FTA/g, 2nd in conference). I’ve rarely seen a true freshman be so physical in the paint as he has been.

Newcomer of the Year – Dylan Peeters (Mankato)
      Assuming the FOTY award happens and this award goes to a transfer, I’m saying Peeters gets it, but with the lowest amount of confidence of any of these award. I really don’t know on this one. I’m stuck between Peeters, JaMir Price (MSUM), and Trey Deveaux (Wayne). I think Deveaux is actually the safest lock for an All-Conference spot over the other two, as the best player on a team voters may want to give one All-Conf spot to, but I have a feeling voters would want to give this award to someone who had an impact on a contending team. So between Peeters & Price, it’s splitting hairs on what you value. If you want the consistently solid guy who does all the little things (rebounding, getting fouled, some interior passing), vote Peeters. If you want the occasionally flashy guy who can take over/win a game and fill up the bucket, vote Price. I’ll say more voters want the former. (Suppose it’s possible Justin Eagins wins this thing, too, but I’m not sure if he’d count as a true newcomer, nor would I be sure people would pick him over his teammate Peeters.)

Coach of the Year – Matt Margenthaler (Mankato)
      Gaaaaah, I REALLY wanted Matt Murken of Minot to get this, as I respect that team’s tanker-turning with the same roster as last year. But Minot’s lost 4 of their last 6, and COTY never goes to a team outside the top 2 of the conf. standings. And Margenthaler has done a great job, seamlessly incorporating 3 transfers into a starting lineup that’s the best in the NSIC, and getting his team to cut down on the turnovers that’s plagued them the last few seasons. He’s earned it.

(For All-Conference teams, I'm assuming they stick to the bloated 12-guys-per-team structure. If they slim down to 10 per team, then kick my last 2 on 1st team to 2nd, and my last 4 on 2nd to off the list.)

• Drew Blair (Duluth)
      • Malik Willingham (Mankato)
      • Isaac Fink (Augie)
      • John Sutherland (Bemidji)
      • Connor Dillon (Winona)
      • Jacksen Moni (Northern)
      • Josh Dilling (Northern) – yes, a bad Northern team gets two guys on 1st team, because without these two they would be utterly dreadful. Moni & Dilling’s stats are eye-catching.
      • Jake Phipps (SMSU)
      • Khari Broadway (Minot) – has struggled of late, but I think Minot will get a 1st team designee.
      • Jacob Beeninga (MSUM) – gosh, his shooting numbers are just sooo bad, but I don’t see where MSUM doesn’t get a 1st team pick, and voters will pick Beeninga for his scoring & the fact that the offense largely revolves around him.
      • Jack Thompson (Sioux Falls) – one of those “legacy” picks for a senior who “plays the game the right way”, as Augieholic pointed out
      • Kyreese Willingham (Mankato) – the 2nd best Mankato guy, and would be fun to have two brothers on 1st team together.
      • Jadan Graves (Augie) – would love to see him on 1st team, but I think Mankato’s more likely to get their 2nd guy on.
      • Trey Deveaux (Wayne)
      • Dalton Albrecht (Bemidji)
      • Charlie Katona (Duluth)
      • Blaize Sagna (Crookston) – dropped him from 1st team since he’s no longer the leading scorer in the conf (is now 5th) and his shooting has plummeted the last 3 weeks.
      • Cliff Cofield (SMSU)
      • Marcus Skeete (Concordia)
      • Dane Zimmer (MSUM) – another one of those “legacy” picks.
      • Connor Hollenbeck (Minot)
      • Aeron Stevens (SMSU)
      • JaMir Price (MSUM)
      • Dylan Peeters (Mankato)
      Feeling fairly uncertain about the last three 2nd team spots (if we get that far), as Price’s spot could just as well go to Ja’Kair Sanchez or Logan Kinsey from the Dragons. Eagins could sneak in there too, and maybe Reid Grant (Crookston) if voters overlook team success in favor of numbers.
      I really love the possibility of these predictions coming true.

Comment

A quick, last-minute crack at the women's side (which I know much less about, but hey why not?):

Player of the Year - Lexie Schneider (UMary)
        Defensive Player of the Year - Joey Batt (Mankato)
        Freshman of the Year - Lauren Wilson (Concordia SP) (If redshirt freshman can count; if not - Kami Wadsworth of Sioux Falls)
        Coach of the Year - Emilee Thiesse (Mankato)

Lexie Schneider (UMary)
        Joey Batt (Mankato)
        Madelyn Bragg (Northern)
        Ally Gietzel (Concordia SP)
        Destinee Bursch (Mankato)
        Bri Stoltzman (SMSU)
        Taytum Rhoades (Duluth)
        Rianna Fillipi (Northern)
        Natalie Jens (MSUM)
        Ashley Sawicki (St Cloud)
        Emma Miller (Crookston)
        Natalie Bremer (Mankato)

Lindsay Becher (Concordia SP)
        Kami Wadsworth (Sioux Falls)
        Michaela Jewett (Augie)
        Lauren Sees (Augie)
        Megan Zander (UMary)
        Lauren Wilson (Concordia SP)
        Mariah McKeever (UMary)
        Sam Wall (SMSU)
        Jada Eggebrecht (St Cloud)
        Alyssa Hill (Bemijdi)
        Taya Hakamaki (Duluth)
        Alex Dornfeld (Winona)
        Last edited by Mark Emmert's Burner; 02-29-2024, 10:45 AM.

Comment

NSIC Postseason Awards and Teams Announced:

MEN
          https://northernsun.org/news/2024/2/...announced.aspx

WOMEN
          https://northernsun.org/news/2024/2/...announced.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
            Two absolute jokes on the men's side....(I'll let you figure out what I'm talking about)

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Two absolute jokes on the men's side....(I'll let you figure out what I'm talking about)
              Must be some perceived Mustang snubs?

or the 12 year old picture of Margenthaler?

Comment

I agree, Kobe Busch certainly deserved 2nd team, at minimum and Gus Bus certainly deserved 1st team. It takes a lot of courage to attempt that many threes when hitting such a low percentage of them.
                Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 02-29-2024, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I'm with you on the Cofield DPOY snub, man. I was pretty blown away by this one. For me, this is two years in a row I thought Cliff should've won, but at least with Duax last year I got the argument.

Katona's a great defender, no doubt. And if the coaches are the ones that vote on this and they think he's the guy that causes them the most headaches, fair enough. But I watch a LOT of NSIC basketball, and Cofield is so much more noticeable on the defensive end.

And I know I shouldn't make anything of the blurbs in the NSIC release, but these bullets made me laugh when comparing Katona & Cofield...
                  • "Averaged 1.3 steals per game in NSIC play" (Cofield averaged 1.6)
                  • "Ranked seventh in the NSIC in steals per game" (Cofield was 2nd)
                  • "Part of the third best defense in NSIC play, holding opponents to 70.0 points per game" (SMSU was 1st, 68.0 per game)
                  (I'm assuming the 2nd "absolute joke" was Price over Aeron Stevens for Newcomer? I can totally get that. I figured Price would be devalued due to 4 missed games, but I see now that he played nearly the same amount of total minutes as Stevens, so maybe not. I still would've liked to see Stevens recognized, especially for 2nd team All-Conf.)

Comment

Welp, I flunked the Men's OTY awards (other than COTY), but did alright with the All-Conf picks.

For Malik over Blair, I'm not mad about it (as someone who kind of disdains how Duluth plays), but surprised by it.

For All-Conf, I had Dilling & Thompson flip-flopped with Price & Katona, and didn't have Sanchez & Eagins on my list (had Stevens & Skeete instead). I think the All-Conf picks are just fine, with no glaring omissions (hard to have those with 24 total picks, so the guys left out aren't necessarily the most 'deserving'). I may have argued Skeete deserved a slot for being the steadying force for a Concordia SP team with two other go-to guys in-and-out of the line-up, and Skeete won CSP 4 of their conference games. But I also may have counter-argued that those 4 wins were against bad teams, and someone like Sanchez was the main guy in 2 wins against Duluth & Minot, and 1 comeback-and-near-win against Mankato.

Ironically, I did a little better for the women, despite seeing much less of their game than the men. The OTY awards were all pretty obvious (got the FOTY wrong, though). For All-Conf, I had Sawicki & Miller flip-flopped with Becher & Zander (I should've known better on Becher, and personally think Sawicki would've been a more deserving pick for 1st team over Zander). I had the wrong 2nd Duluth player (Hakamaki instead of Gilbertson), and had Lauren Wilson on my list instead of Terryn Johnson. I do wish Wilson had been recognized, as she was an impactful redshirt freshman for a very good CSP team.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Emmert's Burner View Post
                      (I'm assuming the 2nd "absolute joke" was Price over Aeron Stevens for Newcomer? I can totally get that. I figured Price would be devalued due to 4 missed games, but I see now that he played nearly the same amount of total minutes as Stevens, so maybe not. I still would've liked to see Stevens recognized, especially for 2nd team All-Conf.)
                      We can kiss goodbye to the idea of Freshman of the Year ever coming back

Comment

We can kiss goodbye to the idea of Freshman of the Year ever coming back
                        That is a negativity omission. AU big man Caden Kirkman would have been a worthy candidate as would PG Arhman Lewis also.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X