Winona State 87, Bemidji State 81
    Augustana 100, Northern State 73
    Southwest Minnesota State 72, Minot State 53
    Minnesota State-Moorhead 82, Sioux Falls 70
    Minnesota State-Mankato 82, Minnesota-Crookston 62

Standings
    1. Minnesota State-Mankato (25-2, 19-2)
    2. Minnesota-Duluth (23-5, 18-4)
    3. Minnesota State-Moorhead (23-4, 17-4)
    4. Minot State (19-8, 14-7)
    4. Southwest Minnesota State (17-10, 14-7)
    6. Winona State (18-9, 13-8)
    7. Augustana (17-10, 12-9)
    8. Bemidji State (13-14, 9-12)
    8. Sioux Falls (12-15, 9-12)
    10. Northern State (10-17, 8-13)
    10. St. Cloud State (12-15, 8-13)
    10. Wayne State (15-13, 8-13)
    13. Concordia-St. Paul (9-18, 4-17)
    14. Minnesota-Crookston (6-21, 3-18)
    15. Mary (7-20, 2-19)

Games for Saturday, February 24
    Bemidji State at Minnesota State-Mankato
    Minot State at Sioux Falls
    Minnesota State-Moorhead at Southwest Minnesota State
    Mary at Augustana
    St. Cloud State at Concordia-St. Paul
    Minnesota-Crookston at Winona State
    Northern State at Wayne State

=================================

WOMEN

February 23

Southwest Minnesota State 78, Minot State 61
    Mary 68, Wayne State 63
    Winona State 75, Bemidji State 64
    Northern State 60, Augustana 57
    Minnesota State-Mankato 123, Minnesota-Crookston 61
    Minnesota State-Moorhead 66, Sioux Falls 54

Standings
    1. Minnesota State-Mankato (22-5, 19-2)
    2. Northern State (20-7, 16-5)
    3. Concordia-St. Paul (19-7, 15-6)
    4. Mary (19-10, 15-6)
    4. Southwest Minnesota State (17-10, 15-6)
    6. St. Cloud State (17-8, 14-7)
    7. Minnesota-Duluth (17-9, 14-8)
    8. Minnesota State-Moorhead (12-14, 12-9)
    9. Winona State (9-17, 8-13)
    10. Augustana (7-18, 6-15)
    10. Minnesota-Crookston (9-18, 6-15)
    10. Minot State (9-21, 6-15)
    10. Sioux Falls (8-17, 6-15)
    14. Bemidji State (6-19, 3-18)
    14. Wayne State (6-18, 3-18)

Games for Saturday, February 24
    Bemidji State at Minnesota State-Mankato
    Minot State at Sioux Falls
    Minnesota State-Moorhead at Southwest Minnesota State
    Mary at Augustana
    St. Cloud State at Concordia-St. Paul
    Minnesota-Crookston at Winona State
    Northern State at Wayne State

Mavs scored 45 in the 3rd quarter. Just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Mavs scored 45 in the 3rd quarter. Just crazy.
      I think that they went on a 20-0 run in the 2nd and a 23-0 run in the third. Never seen anything like it.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I think that they went on a 20-0 run in the 2nd and a 23-0 run in the third. Never seen anything like it.
        123pts. Is an impressive feat by MSU. On UCM 12 game losing streak they've given up 99pts to SMSU, 103pts to AU and 100 and 123 to MSU.

All schools in the MN. university system sport the same maroon and gold colors. Is that unique to MN? I find it a bit odd.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

123pts. Is an impressive feat by MSU. On UCM 12 game losing streak they've given up 99pts to SMSU, 103pts to AU and 100 and 123 to MSU.

All schools in the MN. university system sport the same maroon and gold colors. Is that unique to MN? I find it a bit odd.
          Lots of schools in the U-Texas system have orange. UTEP, UTSA, UTRGV among them.

I'm a fan of having your own. I've posted this before- but MSU lost a coin flip at the 1936 Homecoming game to Winona to see who kept purple. From then until 1956 they were orange and black (or navy depending who you talk to)- then they switched back to purple and gold. Meanwhile, Winona at some point picked black as a secondary color, but their official colors are purple and white.
          Wazoo Revealed! On the Trail of the Elusive WSU Mascot - Alumni Blog (winona.edu).

FAQ's - Minnesota State University - Mankato Athletics (msumavericks.com)

Comment

[QUOTE=laker;n816482]

Lots of schools in the U-Texas system have orange. UTEP, UTSA, UTRGV among them.

Interesting historical information. Glad Mavs went back to purple and gold, cannot imagine them in any other colors.

Comment

Interesting historical information. Glad Mavs went back to purple and gold, cannot imagine them in any other colors.
              It may have been 1986-1988 or so, that the Mavs had some hideous light blue basketball uniforms. It may have only been for one year, but I remember them. I believe they had an β€˜H’ on the shorts for home, or something.

Laker, I was 7 in 1986, so I need your help! Haha

Comment

I'm a fan of having your own. I've posted this before- but MSU lost a coin flip at the 1936 Homecoming game to Winona to see who kept purple. From then until 1956 they were orange and black (or navy depending who you talk to)- then they switched back to purple and gold. Meanwhile, Winona at some point picked black as a secondary color, but their official colors are purple and white.
                Wazoo Revealed! On the Trail of the Elusive WSU Mascot - Alumni Blog (winona.edu).

FAQ's - Minnesota State University - Mankato Athletics (msumavericks.com)
                Hey a deals a deal. Give up the purple.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Buffalo Lake was orange and black. I'm with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

It may have been 1986-1988 or so, that the Mavs had some hideous light blue basketball uniforms. It may have only been for one year, but I remember them. I believe they had an β€˜H’ on the shorts for home, or something.

Laker, I was 7 in 1986, so I need your help! Haha
                    OK- I can actually help with this. In 1985-85 MSU sports were a mess. The football team had black- either helmets with an MSU on the side and black jerseys with purple pants. Basketball had gray uniforms that yes, looked like an H but was supposed to be an M. Baseball actually had blue in the uniform. Can't remember if hockey had the initialed Mav that looked like someone fed it LSD. I think that the wrestlers wore black. The letter jackets were black with a gold M. I was a grad assistant for Bill Lass (who recently passed away) in the history department and the MSU archives. Anyway- after being disgusted watching some loss, I wrote to the Reporter. The gist of the message was "Is MSU the rainbows?" I gave examples of the current uniforms and wondered why they weren't purple and gold. I was later told that President Margaret Preska put out a memo after reading it that ALL team sports uniform orders would be in school colors after that. I don't know if that was carried out, but someone who knew me told me. At least I didn't get beat up because they did publish my name.

Not sure if that helps but yes, those basketball uniforms (back in Otto Arena) were hideous!

Comment

MSU has come a long long way since your grad asst days Laker. You should write a book.

Comment

MSU has come a long long way since your grad asst days Laker. You should write a book.
                        If I knew how to write- I would!

Sometime I'll tell you the story about the trick I played on Little Debbie, another grad assistant, when I pretended to be Dr Lass and called for her to come up to the front of the office.

Comment

laker, when you flipped that coin, what kind of coin did you use and do you remember who called it and what was called. :)

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post

laker, when you flipped that coin, what kind of coin did you use and do you remember who called it and what was called. :)
                            Since Winona was the visitor, they got to call it. Captain Horace Chase, their center, guessed correctly. Tails never fails. Indian head nickel.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

What a major missed opportunity by WSU for a top tier unique mascot....

"After a week of campaigning, β€œWarriors” eventually won out. β€œWerewolves” came in a close second, possibly inspired by the movie Werewolves of London that debuted in theaters the year before."
                              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                              2016 NSIC Champions
                              πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X