Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Southern cut bait w/ the MIAA?

... serious question. SBU and Lincoln cut out of the MIAA (as did Truman earlier) only to see more success in football, and across the board. SBU even made the playoffs because of DII's ludicrous regionalization, despite the fact they wouldn't sniff the top half of the MIAA w/ their current team. I'd love to see Southern competitive again, but let us face facts ... The fall sports - volleyball (6-15) / soccer (4-11-2) / football / (2-9) were a combined 12 - 35 - 2, while women's basketball is now sitting at 12 - 16. Softball was 23-32 a year ago and sits 6-11 currently (29-43 combined). Men's Basketball and Baseball outliers instead of the norm. I know Track and Cross Country have had great success - Neat. Not to disregard that success, but when I see another Vincent Kiprop championship T-shirt, it will be the first.

Flash back to the 1990's, when Southern was competitive for an MIAA title in all sports, and in the top five nationally in quite a few. So, what's the answer? How do the Lions become the Pride of the MIAA again? If the NCAA continues with regionalization, rewarding geography more than quality, shouldn't Southern take advantage?

What do you think?

Re: Should Southern cut bait w/ the MIAA?

Why would you be proud to be in a lesser league only to be more competitive. If it were a lesser league come playoff time it wouldn't matter. I think baseball,basketball, track and field are fine just need the right coaches and recruiting to get the other sports more competitive also resources play a part.

Comment

Resources play the BIGGEST part. How do you hire and recruit when you're not comparing apples to apples? Also, in today's DII, who's to say the other leagues are lesser? They get just as many bids as the MIAA - It's just easier in other leagues ...

Comment

You answered your question. Just as many bids it's just easier. Need to be proud of who you are just cause S.W.B.U. made a football playoff how far did they go. They had no realistic chance to go very far. If you dummy down schedule for wins it doesn't always help in the long run. I would like to see a rotating football schedule with some out of conference games and a championship game just for fun.

Comment

I don't want to see a rotating football schedule at all. I would much rather a team left to open up a spot for a non-conf game.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
            Resources play the BIGGEST part. How do you hire and recruit when you're not comparing apples to apples?
            Southwest Minnesota State has maybe the worst resources in the Northern Sun across the board (as of two seasons ago, they operated at 6.3/10 scholarship equivalencies and it hasn't jumped significantly, I don't think). Hasn't stopped them from winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              I don't want to see a rotating football schedule at all. I would much rather a team left to open up a spot for a non-conf game.
              You would need two to leave to guarantee non conference games. If only one left, they teams that get the bye week later in the season will have a harder time scheduling an opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                Southwest Minnesota State has maybe the worst resources in the Northern Sun across the board (as of two seasons ago, they operated at 6.3/10 scholarship equivalencies and it hasn't jumped significantly, I don't think). Hasn't stopped them from winning.
                I would counter that the MIAA is stronger top to bottom than the Northern Sun ... Your top schools are equal to the MIAA's, but your middle and lower third aren't as strong, so a 7-3 in the Northern Sun is a 5-5 or worse in the MIAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  In general, I agree with you. But prior to the short Perry Ford era (95-97), Southwest was more of a lower/middle of the pack resources (old NIC only, excluding Mankato, SCSU, & Augie) and didn't consistently win. However, to your point, get some tradition, go to the national tournament, add a new fieldhouse, and get some quality coaches, it can be done, even against those old NCC schools with 2-3 times Southwest's enrollment. To consistently get to that national tournament level will probably take a couple more scholarships and added infrastructure.

Congrats on a great year!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                    You would need two to leave to guarantee non conference games. If only one left, they teams that get the bye week later in the season will have a harder time scheduling an opponent.
                    Naw. Just make the first week the bye for everyone..

Comment

Genius. And then who plays the doubleheader in week two among the 11 remaining teams?

Comment

If one team leaves the only change in the schedule would be a bye when you were to play that team. So each team would have a bye week. Those with the bye later in the season would have a tougher time scheduling a game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X