X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's Central Region Rankings (3/1)

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    So they are Memphis of 06-07??
    I'm not worried about NW. FT shooting is not NC caliber by far and not sure what cures that at this point of the season. 5-7 in 1st half and 8-17 2nd half. NW got out rebounded tonight and got smoked on offensive boards 7-13. That's a hustle and desire problem with their talent level. Those 2 things kept Lincoln in the game.
    Last edited by CatFan88; 03-02-2017, 09:17 PM.
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      If that wasn't the implicit point you were making, then I don't think I understood your first post about it.

As far as my stance on it goes, colt45 read my mind and, as always, articulated it better than I would have.

But since I'm me, I'll try anyway. :)

Northwest Missouri State may have greased the wheels and tightened some screws along the way, but the Vikings were adding entirely new parts and trying to make sure they even worked with the old ones. The fact that they are a nearly well-oiled machine at this point is more surprising to me (and probably others) than the fact that the Bearcats are a well-oiled machine. To me, that shows the Vikes are a better team than they were at the beginning of the season to a greater degree than the Bearcats are a better team than they were at the beginning of the season.
      Put simply, every team has improved. If they haven't then they wouldn't be in contention for a regional berth. It's just a pet peeve of mine that team X beat team Y but team Y says we've improved since then as if team X hasn't.

It wasn't a statement about Augustana at all. I even acknowledged the transition Augustana was going through.

Apologies if that wasn't clear but I point blank said this isn't an attack on you and acknowledged Augustana transition.

The point remains, all teams who are going to the regional have most likely improved or else they wouldn't be there.

If you would have said both teams have improved but I feel Augustana has improved at a greater scale because of X, y, z then I wouldn't have said a thing. You explained that in this post but that's not what your first post stated.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
        Put simply, every team has improved. If they haven't then they wouldn't be in contention for a regional berth. It's just a pet peeve of mine that team X beat team Y but team Y says we've improved since then as if team X hasn't.

It wasn't a statement about Augustana at all. I even acknowledged the transition Augustana was going through.

Apologies if that wasn't clear but I point blank said this isn't an attack on you and acknowledged Augustana transition.

The point remains, all teams who are going to the regional have most likely improved or else they wouldn't be there.

If you would have said both teams have improved but I feel Augustana has improved at a greater scale because of X, y, z then I wouldn't have said a thing. You explained that in this post but that's not what your first post stated.
        Appreciate the clarification. To be clear myself, I totally didn't think you were attacking me or Augustana and wouldn't have taken it that way even if you hadn't offered the qualifier to open your post. Was just discussing my initial interpretation of your comments and was trying to clarify my position a little bit more. Nothing I said was said defensively or with a defensive tone (in my head), if that helps. Regardless, I appreciate your desire to clarify.

Comment

Regional could be interesting.

In the past three seasons, Northwest has picked up one or two early season losses to NSIC teams. This caused the MIAA/NW to be discredited all season long but Northwest reached the regional final each time. Will this year be different?

2015-2016
          - Lost to UIU 76-72
          - Lost to Augustana 79-77

- Beat Mankato in the regional.
          - Beat Ouachita in the regional.
          - Lost to Augustana 80-78 in the regional final.

2014-2015
          - Loss to MSU Moorhead 75-66

- Beat Augustana in the regional.
          - Lost to MSU Moorhead 47-42 in the regional final.

2013-2014
          - Lost to Southwest Minnesota 72-50

- Beat Winona in the regional.
          - Lost to Central 60-59 in the regional final.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I don't think your assumption is true. Some teams start out great and coast into the regional. Some teams suffer key injuries late in the year. Some teams aren't built to handle the pressure of a single elimination tournament. Some teams have rotten chemistry that degrades or even explodes by the end of the year. I'm not saying any of those apply to Northwest, obviously, but I've seen plenty of regional teams that played their best basketball early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
              I would understand that opinion if you were talking about an inexperienced team. NW has been down this road before with basically the same players. This is not new to them. No advantage to the NSIC.
              This doesn't just have to do with the mental side. This also has to do with the physical side. NW has a short rotation currently, if they have to play big minutes on Saturday it could wear on them a little on Sunday. Again I am not saying that is what will cause NW to lose but if I am a 4/5 seed I do not mind taking chances of playing them the following day and not with a day of recovery/game prep. I am expecting NW to roll over everyone but there will be pressure on them that no other team will have next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                Regional could be interesting.

In the past three seasons, Northwest has picked up one or two early season losses to NSIC teams. This caused the MIAA/NW to be discredited all season long but Northwest reached the regional final each time. Will this year be different?

2015-2016
                - Lost to UIU 76-72
                - Lost to Augustana 79-77

- Beat Ouachita in the regional.
                - Lost to Augustana 80-78 in the regional final.

2014-2015
                - Loss to MSU Moorhead 75-66

- Beat Augustana in the regional.
                - Lost to MSU Moorhead 47-42 in the regional final.

2013-2014
                - Lost to Southwest Minnesota 72-50

- Beat Winona in the regional.
                - Lost to Central 60-59 in the regional final.
                Well, I think a little role reversal sounds pretty good, eh?

Beat Augie and Upper Iowa early in the year.
                Lose to SMSU in the regional final.

Sounds like a plan to me! :)

In all seriousness, seeds 2-7 all appear to be somehwat even. Sure, some teams match up better than others, but a loss involving those teams wouldn't really surprise me. A loss from Northwest, while certainly not impossible, would likely be at least somewhat surprising to about everyone on this board. Then again, Concordia beat Moorhead, Lehigh beat Duke, etc etc. It's what makes March so damn fun!

Comment

Originally posted by MustangManiac View Post
                  Well, I think a little role reversal sounds pretty good, eh?

Beat Augie and Upper Iowa early in the year.
                  Lose to SMSU in the regional final.

Sounds like a plan to me! :)

In all seriousness, seeds 2-7 all appear to be somehwat even. Sure, some teams match up better than others, but a loss involving those teams wouldn't really surprise me. A loss from Northwest, while certainly not impossible, would likely be at least somewhat surprising to about everyone on this board. Then again, Concordia beat Moorhead, Lehigh beat Duke, etc etc. It's what makes March so damn fun!
                  2-7 even? What about 8? Beat SMSU twice, 1-1 with Augie....me thinks they'll hang just fine with 2-7.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock View Post
                    2-7 even? What about 8? Beat SMSU twice, 1-1 with Augie....me thinks they'll hang just fine with 2-7.
                    I think his point (correct me if I'm wrong, Maniac) is that if UIU stays at the 8 spot, the odds of them beating NWMSU...a team that destroyed them entirely the first time they played...are slimmer than the odds of anyone else in the 2-7 range winning over the other.

Comment

I think his point (correct me if I'm wrong, Maniac) is that if UIU stays at the 8 spot, the odds of them beating NWMSU...a team that destroyed them entirely the first time they played...are slimmer than the odds of anyone else in the 2-7 range winning over the other.
                      Bingo

Comment

Haha that was actually a typo, but what you listed is true in my mind as well. I meant to type seeds 2-8 could realistically beat each other. I think all of those teams are even enough, where each team has at least 25-30% chance against any of the others.

However, the odds of UIU at the 8 seed go significantly down against Northwest, but I'm not breaking any news with that statement. You can bet your cheerios next Saturday morning that I'll be once of the largest Peacock supporters in the crowd for that game if that's the matchup though! :)

I think for the 8 seed to beat NW is about a 1/10 chance at best, but I'll never count a team out, especially when their season is on the line. Funky things happen, and they play the games for a reason!

Comment

Originally posted by MustangManiac View Post
                          Haha that was actually a typo, but what you listed is true in my mind as well. I meant to type seeds 2-8 could realistically beat each other. I think all of those teams are even enough, where each team has at least 25-30% chance against any of the others.

However, the odds of UIU at the 8 seed go significantly down against Northwest, but I'm not breaking any news with that statement. You can bet your cheerios next Saturday morning that I'll be once of the largest Peacock supporters in the crowd for that game if that's the matchup though! :)

I think for the 8 seed to beat NW is about a 1/10 chance at best, but I'll never count a team out, especially when their season is on the line. Funky things happen, and they play the games for a reason!
                          Ok - gotcha.....stranger things have happened - like a 5 win Concordia team beating Moorhead! Yes, NWMSU beat UIU easily, but first game of the year, if you look at UIU's first games they struggled. Still will be a heavy underdog if they stay at 8, but expect a much better showing this go around.

Comment

Ok - gotcha.....stranger things have happened - like a 5 win Concordia team beating Moorhead! Yes, NWMSU beat UIU easily, but first game of the year, if you look at UIU's first games they struggled. Still will be a heavy underdog if they stay at 8, but expect a much better showing this go around.
                            Fine by me. If Augie stays at the 5-seed and manages to win that first round game, I'd love a worn out NWMSU squad in round 2. Or, even better, a no longer participating NWMSU squad in round 2. :)

Comment

Yes, NW best Upper Iowa in both team's opener. Northwest won by 25 without the services of Ndow. If a rematch occurs, I expect a more competitive game, bit it would be a tough task for UIU to beat NW in Maryville, IMO.

Comment

Fine by me. If Augie stays at the 5-seed and manages to win that first round game, I'd love a worn out NWMSU squad in round 2. Or, even better, a no longer participating NWMSU squad in round 2. :)
                                Ha....you and your "worn out" theory is actually getting worn out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X