Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's Central Region Rankings (3/1)

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
    Ha....you and your "worn out" theory is actually getting worn out.
    Careful...the man has figures that can type theories for days and you may have just opened that door of opportunity.

Our differences aside, most of the time his writing would get an A+ from me. Some teachers try to steer students in a politics direction by a certain assignment, if I was teacher and he was student, he could completely go in the otherror direction, make make furious and I'd still have to grade the writing as well done.

Comment

Ha....you and your "worn out" theory is actually getting worn out.
      I was strictly referring to Peacock's hope that it would be a better game this time and Upper Iowa might keep it closer than last time. Specifically that NWMSU wouldn't get to rest their starters for the last 8-10 minutes due to a blowout.

Wasn't as much referring to the "no time to prep" theory. But I can certainly tell it's bothering you, so I might have to keep bringing it up anyway. :)

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
        Careful...the man has figures that can type theories for days and you may have just opened that door of opportunity.

Our differences aside, most of the time his writing would get an A+ from me. Some teachers try to steer students in a politics direction by a certain assignment, if I was teacher and he was student, he could completely go in the otherror direction, make make furious and I'd still have to grade the writing as well done.
        That is, without question, the nicest thing you've ever said to me. And just the other day you were talking about how I wouldn't like the mushy talk...

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          That is, without question, the nicest thing you've ever said to me. And just the other day you were talking about how I wouldn't like the mushy talk...
          You are so uppity, get out of here

Comment

I was strictly referring to Peacock's hope that it would be a better game this time and Upper Iowa might keep it closer than last time. Specifically that NWMSU wouldn't get to rest their starters for the last 8-10 minutes due to a blowout.

Wasn't as much referring to the "no time to prep" theory. But I can certainly tell it's bothering you, so I might have to keep bringing it up anyway. :)
            Keep bringing it up; seems to be your go-to; and I actually get a laugh out of how much of an advantage you seem to think this could be for an NSIC club. If a team beats NW (which is very possible) it will because they outplayed them on the court on that particular day, not because they had to play on consecutive days.

Comment

Keep bringing it up; seems to be your go-to; and I actually get a laugh out of how much of an advantage you seem to think this could be for an NSIC club. If a team beats NW (which is very possible) it will because they outplayed them on the court on that particular day, not because they had to play on consecutive days.
              Goodness gracious, man. Do you not get that I'm joking? Or am I not recognizing that you're joking too maybe (I hope)? Because if you're actually serious, you really aren't picking up on the way we joke around on here.

Comment

Few thoughts:

1. The argument of NW not being prepared for back-to-back nights...they've done pretty well for themselves the last three years with a lot of the same kids on back-to-back games in March: MIAA Tourney Championships last year (three days in a row), and three straight Sweet Sixteens (three years in a row of wins back to back nights, and beating the host team, by the way, on the second night the first two years). I would argue they have more problems after a day of rest (see the last 3 Sweet Sixteen games)...

2. Comparing anybody to anything they did in the regular season is moot, in my opinion, or at least predicting things based on those outcomes. Nothing you have done before that tournament, or that singular game actually, matters. That is why they call it March Madness at any level. Once you select 8 teams out of 40+, it's probably not going to be easy for anyone. I'm sure if you ask any coach they probably don't feel great about their draw, no matter their seed. Best of the best, and that's why you let them play the games. Heroes are made because a role player stepped up or someone got really hot, or whatever. Its a one game playoff and anything can happen. It's about matchups and who's got it going that night. Anybody can (and will if you let them) beat anybody (CSP-Moorhead).

2b. In my opinion, its more about how a team is mentally geared. Expectation, overlooking an opponent, desperation, end of a career, underdog, chip on a shoulder, etc all play a bigger role, to me, than game results from 5 or 6 months ago. I appreciate the idea, but there's a reason they call it regular season and post season...they are separate and everything starts over. And that changes it all.

3. The interesting thought to me is how does NW handle being the "favorite" or team with the little #1 next to their name. The first two years of this run, they were a little under the radar as Mankato and Augie were buzzsaws. Last year, as good as NW was, and everyone wanted and expected the rematch, and as much as Viking faithful will tell you they were worried about and respected NW, Augie was still the heavy favorite. That's going to be the difference...the Bearcats are squarely in the spotlight...handling that and playing like they earned the spotlight will be the key to their success.

4. I'm worried about Moorhead being a little rusty after +2 weeks off. Also, teams like Northern and UIU who are done, but squarely on the bubble, getting in good practices and staying sharp this week. For the NSIC, i believe that is a big catch 22 that is interesting to say the least.

5. I do think Augie, Moorhead, UIU, and SMSU have a small advantage in that they have played IN Bearcat Arena within the last few years. That will help a ton.

All of these observations are my own, and have no official fact-checking, so please correct where needed!

I LOVE THIS BOARD! Only sport can bring so many passionate people to a forum like this and observe, root for their team, trash-talk (kindly), compliment enemies, and everything else, etc in such a way...

Comment

Originally posted by Pistols_33 View Post

2. Comparing anybody to anything they did in the regular season is moot, in my opinion, or at least predicting things based on those outcomes. Nothing you have done before that tournament, or that singular game actually, matters. That is why they call it March Madness at any level. Once you select 8 teams out of 40+, it's probably not going to be easy for anyone. I'm sure if you ask any coach they probably don't feel great about their draw, no matter their seed. Best of the best, and that's why you let them play the games. Heroes are made because a role player stepped up or someone got really hot, or whatever. Its a one game playoff and anything can happen. It's about matchups and who's got it going that night. Anybody can (and will if you let them) beat anybody (CSP-Moorhead).
                  Couldn't agree more. I think basketball is the hardest sport to win a national championship at the D2 level of the major sports. Baseball has a double elimination tournament to determine winner. Usually the best team rises after multiple games rather than a one game, winner takes all. Plus one bad game isn't the end.

Football has such a disparity in scholarships that really only about 10-15 schools have a legit shot to win each year.

Basketball has more balance because the scholarships are fairly even. That gives every team a chance. Then the tournament format with an off night and/or another team getting hot shooting the ball makes upsets more likely than the other sports.

March Madness indeed.

Comment

Goodness gracious, man. Do you not get that I'm joking? Or am I not recognizing that you're joking too maybe (I hope)? Because if you're actually serious, you really aren't picking up on the way we joke around on here.
                    It's probably a good thing you are not a stand up comic; or maybe you are?😆🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Pistols_33 View Post
                      Few thoughts:

1. The argument of NW not being prepared for back-to-back nights...they've done pretty well for themselves the last three years with a lot of the same kids on back-to-back games in March: MIAA Tourney Championships last year (three days in a row), and three straight Sweet Sixteens (three years in a row of wins back to back nights, and beating the host team, by the way, on the second night the first two years). I would argue they have more problems after a day of rest (see the last 3 Sweet Sixteen games)...

2b. In my opinion, its more about how a team is mentally geared. Expectation, overlooking an opponent, desperation, end of a career, underdog, chip on a shoulder, etc all play a bigger role, to me, than game results from 5 or 6 months ago. I appreciate the idea, but there's a reason they call it regular season and post season...they are separate and everything starts over. And that changes it all.

3. The interesting thought to me is how does NW handle being the "favorite" or team with the little #1 next to their name. The first two years of this run, they were a little under the radar as Mankato and Augie were buzzsaws. Last year, as good as NW was, and everyone wanted and expected the rematch, and as much as Viking faithful will tell you they were worried about and respected NW, Augie was still the heavy favorite. That's going to be the difference...the Bearcats are squarely in the spotlight...handling that and playing like they earned the spotlight will be the key to their success.

4. I'm worried about Moorhead being a little rusty after +2 weeks off. Also, teams like Northern and UIU who are done, but squarely on the bubble, getting in good practices and staying sharp this week. For the NSIC, i believe that is a big catch 22 that is interesting to say the least.

5. I do think Augie, Moorhead, UIU, and SMSU have a small advantage in that they have played IN Bearcat Arena within the last few years. That will help a ton.

All of these observations are my own, and have no official fact-checking, so please correct where needed!

I LOVE THIS BOARD! Only sport can bring so many passionate people to a forum like this and observe, root for their team, trash-talk (kindly), compliment enemies, and everything else, etc in such a way...
                      Good thoughts. Although I must ask without checking for mysel, when was the last time the Peacocks played in Bearcat Arena? 3-4 years ago?

Comment

It's probably a good thing you are not a stand up comic; or maybe you are?😆🤔
                        Now you just sound like my wife.

Comment

For all of you who think back-to-back nights for nw is an issue, it is but a small one imo. The larger issue is for teams coming into play at nw. The gym is a snack pit for teams. In the KA era, the Mules rarely won at NW even with some teams that were superior. I'm too lazy to check but I believe the national championship team lost in Hays and at NW. I know for sure that one if not both of the final four teams lost at nw as well. One of those final four teams lost a four point lead in the last 19 seconds to Winona with the ball going off of the knee of a 90%+ free throw shooter.

Bottom line, NW is always tough at home which will make up for the back-to-back nights playing. Your teams will be the ones traveling back and forth to St. Joe while NW players are snugly tucked in their beds and sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                            Couldn't agree more. I think basketball is the hardest sport to win a national championship at the D2 level of the major sports. Baseball has a double elimination tournament to determine winner. Usually the best team rises after multiple games rather than a one game, winner takes all. Plus one bad game isn't the end.

Football has such a disparity in scholarships that really only about 10-15 schools have a legit shot to win each year.

Basketball has more balance because the scholarships are fairly even. That gives every team a chance. Then the tournament format with an off night and/or another team getting hot shooting the ball makes upsets more likely than the other sports.

March Madness indeed.
                            The reason that the same schools win over and over in football doesn't have much to do with scholarships. It has to do with the culture.

Basketball is very random. Football is more predictable.

Comment

Good thoughts. Although I must ask without checking for mysel, when was the last time the Peacocks played in Bearcat Arena? 3-4 years ago?
                              November 2014 for the Peacocks. Don't remember SWMS visiting, but probably am wrong.

Comment

Now you just sound like my wife.
                                She must be a very intelligent lady.........

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X