Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Regional Semifinal Discussion

#5 Augustana (24-8) vs. #1 Northwest Missouri State (30-1)
    #3 East Central (25-7) vs. #2 Southwest Minnesota State (27-5)
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Re: Central Regional Semifinal Discussion

I would expect Augie to try and replicate the defensive success of the Peacocks with John Warren doing his best to stay attached to Pitts' hip. Most people would agree that he is one of, if not the best wing defender in the NSIC and he'll need every ounce of his unscreenable abilities tonight. I wouldnt be surprised if they throw a few different looks at the Bearcats throughout the game: some 3/4 press, some half court trapping, and possibly even a triangle and 2. What I'm unsure about is who will be assigned to Schneider, after working through the other matchups I think it'll be Beyer but we shall see. If Huisken can rebound like he has the last three weeks it'll be a huge boost to Augie's chances.

Offensively Augustana has to avoid the 4-5 minute droughts that have hampered them throughout the year. Spencer played well the first time these two teams matched up and he'll need high ceiling scorers like Busack and Warren to join him if they want to spring the upset.

Bottom line is that I'd give Augustana about a 25% chance springing the upset but just getting another shot at the Bearcats makes the title defense a success in my mind.

Comment

Regardless of today's outcome, huge shout-out to Augustana for their season this year. Taking shots from everyone as defending champs after losing everyone they did and still making it to this point is a huge accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
        Regardless of today's outcome, huge shout-out to Augustana for their season this year. Taking shots from everyone as defending champs after losing everyone they did and still making it to this point is a huge accomplishment.
        I'm glad it's not just a handful of Augie fans who recognize how much of an accomplishment this seson has been. I am extremely impressed with this year's team, even if they don't make it past tonight.

Comment

As a heads up for those going to game, I've heard they may be selling less tickets tonight than last night after going over capacity. If you don't have tickets yet I'd recommend buying them online now or being there very early or you may be out of luck.

Comment

As a heads up for those going to game, I've heard they may be selling less tickets tonight than last night after going over capacity. If you don't have tickets yet I'd recommend buying them online now or being there very early or you may be out of luck.
            Did the fire marshall find out that they were over capacity?

Back in 1972 when the Gophers won the Big Ten title, my high school buddies and I had been down to see them beat Drake. We tried to get tickets again through a former teammate who was going there, but everything was sold out. Since the faculty/staff had passes, they kept letting people in. I think capacity was 18,000 back then before renovations- the crowd was announced at over 19,000 with people sitting in the aisles. Gophers beat Bob Knight and Indiana 51-50 but they never let that many people in again.

Comment

congrats to UIU on a hard fought, well executed game.

Comment

I'm looking forwards to watching SMSU Mustangs play ECU today. Really don't know much about ECU other then they can score a lot of points as they did against Moorhead and they gave up much points as well. The Mustangs are a well balanced team. Would like to hear some Mustangs fans thoughts on this matchup. I will be cheering for our NSIC brethren SMSU.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                  I will be cheering for our NSIC brethren SMSU.
                  Yes, go Mustangs!

Go Vikings.......cough, cough!

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    I'm looking forwards to watching SMSU Mustangs play ECU today. Really don't know much about ECU other then they can score a lot of points as they did against Moorhead and they gave up much points as well. The Mustangs are a well balanced team. Would like to hear some Mustangs fans thoughts on this matchup. I will be cheering for our NSIC brethren SMSU.
                    I watched both teams play yesterday, should be a good game. Reeves for ECU is a great scorer, probably the best pure shooter in the region. SW Minnesota looked good yesterday, I like their size and skill. Especially Bartlett, Lee and Kirk with Bruggeman running the show. I believe SW will win 88-83.

Comment

One of the things I look at when breaking down the final four teams is the size/strength advantage SMSU has in the post. The Mustangs have three players in the rotation who weigh over 220. The other three teams have a combined one player between the three rosters above 220 (Andy Kerkman, Augustana).

Another advantage I see for the Mustangs is at the FT line, where the Mustangs shoot 75.0%. Augie is next at 73.2% and followed by NWMSU (69.3%) and East Central (69.1%). The final thing I'll bring up is clutch-time performance, which is no doubt aided by the strong FT%. SMSU is 13-2 in games decided by four or less points or played in overtime. NWMSU is 4-0 in such games, East Central 3-1, Augustana 5-5.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                        One of the things I look at when breaking down the final four teams is the size/strength advantage SMSU has in the post. The Mustangs have three players in the rotation who weigh over 220. The other three teams have a combined one player between the three rosters above 220 (Andy Kerkman, Augustana).

Another advantage I see for the Mustangs is at the FT line, where the Mustangs shoot 75.0%. Augie is next at 73.2% and followed by NWMSU (69.3%) and East Central (69.1%). The final thing I'll bring up is clutch-time performance, which is no doubt aided by the strong FT%. SMSU is 13-2 in games decided by four or less points or played in overtime. NWMSU is 4-0 in such games, East Central 3-1, Augustana 5-5.
                        Guess we shouldn't even play tonight and just crown you guys!

Comment

Guess we shouldn't even play tonight and just crown you guys!
                          Did I say that? Geez Louise.....

Comment

I'll do it

Comment

The hypocrisy in this statement compared to what you NSIC guys said any time a NW fan posted anything positive about NW is hilarious.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X