Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All-Central Region Team

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Where would you rank Reeves if he was in the MIAA? From what I've seen, he's probably the second-best player in the region, but again that's with not knowing MIAA/GAC talent other than who's in the regional.
    He reminds me of Davis, both can flat out carry a team when in a groove. I'd put him behind Pitts and equal to Davis. Verdure wasn't particularly fond of playing defense, which knocks him down a notch in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatMediaStudent View Post
      I would say 2nd best, a better shooting Rob Davis. Virdure was really good, had a 50 point game vs Northwest, but he wasn't as consistent as Reeves.
      Rob Davis can shoot he rock as well as Reeves imo.

Comment

I'm truly surprised Spencer made first team, his stats (which is all most of these voters are looking at) make the case and playing for the defending National Champs certainly helped his cause. He carried an amazing offensive burden this year and showed in games like the one in Marshall that he can beat a team almost by himself. However, most of Augie's close losses were helped along by his clutch time bricky-ness from the FT line and his defense was inconsistent at best. Granted I'm pickier than the voters because I saw Jordan twice a week but those are my truths.

Comment

Bruggeman still does that AND is getting the stats to back it up. He's on pace to become the program's all-time leader in assists and steals AND finish among the top five in scoring.
          But those numbers aren't the ones that the voters will pay attention to. Its mainly about the points.

Comment

Bruggeman still does that AND is getting the stats to back it up. He's on pace to become the program's all-time leader in assists and steals AND finish among the top five in scoring.
            Am I reading your site wrong, or is Vinard Birch your all-time career assists leader with 396?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
              Am I reading your site wrong, or is Vinard Birch your all-time career assists leader with 396?
              That is correct.

Now I'm sure you'll answer back with how Augie is a vastly superior program because you've got 8 players with a higher career total than that and how Spencer has over twice as many assists as Bruggeman. Which, I would hope so, considering Spencer has played one extra year and has played with two 2,000-point scorers and a 1,400-point scorer and a 1,200 point scorer.

Comment

That is correct.

Now I'm sure you'll answer back with how Augie is a vastly superior program because you've got 8 players with a higher career total than that and how Spencer has over twice as many assists as Bruggeman. Which, I would hope so, considering Spencer has played one extra year and has played with two 2,000-point scorers and a 1,400-point scorer and a 1,200 point scorer.
                Ok, first of all, calm down homes. This sounds a little too much like me on the overreaction front, and I think we can all agree that the board doesn't need more MrAugustanas at this point.

Second of all, while I was in no way planning to go into any sort of "Augie is a vastly superior program" talk, I was going to address the fact that there is a reasonable disparity between your supporting criteria for selection (the aforementioned "on pace to become the all-time leader in assists") and other comparable stats on paper. Meaning, yes, Bruggemann is going to pass the career assist record at SMSU, but Jordan Spencer nearly had as many assists THIS year alone (242 according to the GoAugie press release), without the 2,000 and 1,400 point scorers you mentioned, as Bruggemann has total thus far in his career (290 according to the SMSU website). Which brings me to the point I think you knew I was getting at, which is that using Bruggeman's likely Mustang record-breaking stats as a justification for his inclusion on this year's all-region team doesn't work quite yet at this point in his career. Even if Jordan Spencer isn't someone you thought should've been left off in favor of Bruggeman, the point is still kind of the same. But I think his stats are going to continue to improve each year, so I doubt this will be an argument that can still be made by the end of next season.

All in all, I'll be 0% shocked if he makes it next year. And 100% shocked if he hasn't made it by his senior year. And, as I think I've mentioned on other threads, I'm not looking forward to having him around for two more seasons, so this isn't any sort of knock on him at all. More than just stats, I think he's a gamer--gritty/gutsy in the clutch, etc.--and that's typically something that's hard to identify on paper.

Comment

Not surprised Bruggeman didn't make it and not even a slight. His stats are good not great and he has played better the 2nd half. His stats aren't nearly as good as what the rest of those guys had.

If he plays like this next year he'll get recognized. Everyone knows who he is now.

Seriously, ask even serious NSIC fans about the Mustangs top 2 players to start they year and NO ONE outside of Marshall would have mentioned Bruggeman. They would have said Bartlett, Weg, Kirk -- one of those 3. No one would have mentioned Ryan after his freshman year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X