Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Rules

Could someone please explain how in D2 players can transfer freely and be eligible the next academic year as opposed to sitting out a year. I understand D1 to D2 or D2 to D1 moving up or down. Also how does the deal work with players having so many semesters of eligibility available. As in typically 8 semesters would equal 4 years and players allowed redshirt or medical redshirt to extend time. Thanks for clarification.

Re: Transfer Rules

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
    Could someone please explain how in D2 players can transfer freely and be eligible the next academic year as opposed to sitting out a year. I understand D1 to D2 or D2 to D1 moving up or down. Also how does the deal work with players having so many semesters of eligibility available. As in typically 8 semesters would equal 4 years and players allowed redshirt or medical redshirt to extend time. Thanks for clarification.
    Regarding semesters of eligibility and all that, we'll need someone like Augieholic or Stanger86 to chime in (at least from the NSIC posters). That's not my area of expertise.

Regarding transfers down, you can always transfer down without sitting a year. If you transfer up (D2 to D1) you have to give up a year of eligibility. If you still have your redshirt year, you can burn that one. If you don't have your redshirt year available, then you simply lose a year.

Only exemption is if you transfer down to a JuCo and then jump up to a D1 immediately after that year in JuCo.

Examples:
    Logan Doyle at Northern State transferred down from South Dakota State without having to sit out any time, even though he used his redshirt year at SDSU.

Jordan Poydras from St. Cloud two years ago transferred to D1 Utah Valley State after his junior season at St. Cloud. He hadn't used a redshirt year yet, so he used that redshirt year on his one-year required sit-out, then played his senior year for the...whatever their mascot is.

Nuni Omot from Concordia-St. Paul DID burn his redshirt year at Concordia, so when he decided to go D1 after his redshirt freshman year, he had to transfer down to a JuCo for one season (his redshirt sophomore year), meaning he could then play two full years at Baylor, which is where he is now.

I have no idea if that helps at all, but, like I said, there are other guys on here who can probably explain most elements of this better than I can. Just figured I'd get the conversation going a little bit.

Comment

NSIC to NSIC transfers have to sit out a year btw

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        So typically would have to sit out if transfer in conference? which would make sense. Don't see why a D2 super team couldn't be created get 3-4 big time players from different conferences to transfer to one school.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          MIAA to MIAA as well.

Comment

What about coaches? Move from one MIAA school to another, do they have to sit out too?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
              What about coaches? Move from one MIAA school to another, do they have to sit out too?
              I know you are being funny but has that ever happened without being fired from one school. I know Tom Smith coached at UCM and MWSU.

Comment

I know you are being funny but has that ever happened without being fired from one school. I know Tom Smith coached at UCM and MWSU.
                Slifer went straight from MWSU to UCM.

Comment

We've had a few in the NSIC. Bowen went from Bemidji to Duluth. Dolan went from Upper Iowa to Wayne. Those were both within the last five years or so, I believe.

Comment

Don't see why a D2 super team couldn't be created get 3-4 big time players from different conferences to transfer to one school.
                    Not gonna say it, not gonna say it, not gonna say it.

Comment

You are correct, might not have been too funny but of course rules are different for coaches than they are for players.

With at least two openings already in the MIAA, I do wonder if we'll see any moving around from "within" so to speak.

I've also heard that Pitt may be courting Kim Anderson already.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                        You are correct, might not have been too funny but of course rules are different for coaches than they are for players.

With at least two openings already in the MIAA, I do wonder if we'll see any moving around from "within" so to speak.

I've also heard that Pitt may be courting Kim Anderson already.
                        Don't really see Anderson at Pitt State or wouldn't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                          We've had a few in the NSIC. Bowen went from Bemidji to Duluth. Dolan went from Upper Iowa to Wayne. Those were both within the last five years or so, I believe.
                          And neither really worked out at all. Certainly not in Duluth.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                            Not gonna say it, not gonna say it, not gonna say it.
                            I applaud your restraint!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X