X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    The Alston case and NIL is just the start of seismic change in the structure of d1 revenue sports.
    Some thoughts for discussion.

The inherent incongruity of big d1 athletic business and college education as an amateur can no longer co-exist.

1. The time requirements for d1 athletes are not conducive to achieving their academic potential.

-That's subjective, but I'm guessing by and large it's already there and has been for quite some time.

2. Parents will rebel against $2-5k tuition going to support paid athletes.

-They should, but they aren't really rebelling against the egregious increase in costs coming from the academic side. So long as they see the long term "value," they'll still push their kids to go regardless of cost. It's a huge problem right now that's only going to get worse.

3. Someone will win a class action lawsuit stating that academic requirement for college admission is restraint of trade for gifted athletes who cannot qualify. Colleges have been caught committing academic fraud in current system.Your ACT score has no correlation with whether you can make a tackler miss in the open field. They will need to defer free education, whether college or trade school, until after athletic career is over.

-Interesting point. I could see this happening, but as a non-legal expert who didn't research the possibility - I'd have to imagine that would be a losing bet. Even if they won, you'd have upset parents on the academic side who's academically gifted kid couldn't get in because their spot was given to a D average athlete. Ultimately, a college's ability to function is up to the accrediting body, and they won't like it so much if the schools start lowering/shifting standards based on athletics (IMO).

4. Colleges will need to avoid liability of CTE lawsuits and may divest in some way, maybe just licensing use of name and logo for team.

-Not sure how NIL/Salaries would affect this.

5. Current system encourages buying players, with it now being in the open with NIL, allowing rich to get richer. Like NFL and NBA, colleges will have to revert to salary cap and draft. This actually might increase competition and reveal the actual good coaches from the snake oil salespersons.

-Guaranteed an CFB/CBB draft won't happen. That sounds like it would suck, honestly. Imagine having no chance at the NFL, and being arbitrarily bound to a college based not what's best for you or your education (and ultimately your career), but based on a coach/scout popularity contest. Maybe if the P5 did a pool you had to consent too, maybe - but even that's never going to happen.
    It looks like you are confusing NIL with players drawing a salary. NIL is a good thing. Players can now profit off their hardwork through endorsements, just as anyone else can, and with no burden to the tuition-paying students. I support it fully, and don't see as many changes coming to the landscape that a lot of people are doomsday'ing about. Granted, I'm pro-money, so I might see it differently than a lot of people.

Honestly, I'm starting to think Europe figured this out better than we did. No high school sports, no college sports, no pay-to play - you join an academy as a kid and it becomes your life. Their top athletes are signing mega-contracts at 18 while ours are four years away from becoming professionals. No wonder we had to invent our own sports to compete against the rest of the world.

Leave a comment:

• Incongruity of multi billion $ d1 athletics business and amateurism

The Alston case and NIL is just the start of seismic change in the structure of d1 revenue sports.
    Some thoughts for discussion.

The inherent incongruity of big d1 athletic business and college education as an amateur can no longer co-exist.

1. The time requirements for d1 athletes are not conducive to achieving their academic potential.
    2. Parents will rebel against $2-5k tuition going to support paid athletes.
    3. Someone will win a class action lawsuit stating that academic requirement for college admission is restraint of trade for gifted athletes who cannot qualify. Colleges have been caught committing academic fraud in current system.Your ACT score has no correlation with whether you can make a tackler miss in the open field. They will need to defer free education, whether college or trade school, until after athletic career is over.
    4. Colleges will need to avoid liability of CTE lawsuits and may divest in some way, maybe just licensing use of name and logo for team.
    5. Current system encourages buying players, with it now being in the open with NIL, allowing rich to get richer. Like NFL and NBA, colleges will have to revert to salary cap and draft. This actually might increase competition and reveal the actual good coaches from the snake oil salespersons.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X