Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GLIAC Commissioner

Will be interesting to see Kris Dunbar the Athletic Director From Lake Superior State take over the conference.

Re: New GLIAC Commissioner

I think it's a great move. She can't do any worse than the previous commissioner. Thanks to Title IX for allowing her this opportunity. The other KWC posters hate Title IX. How many other female commissioners are there in the NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
      I think it's a great move. She can't do any worse than the previous commissioner. Thanks to Title IX for allowing her this opportunity. The other KWC posters hate Title IX. How many other female commissioners are there in the NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
        No one hates female commissioners......the problem some have with Title 9 is when it forces schools to disband baseball, men's wrestling, golf or tennis to fit a somewhat arbitrary scholarship number.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson View Post
          No one hates female commissioners......the problem some have with Title 9 is when it forces schools to disband baseball, men's wrestling, golf or tennis to fit a somewhat arbitrary scholarship number.
          Agreed. No problem at all with a female commissioner. Wish her all the success in the world.

Agreed. I think the initial intent of Title IX was good (and there was an undeniable historical lack of opportunity for women athletes). However, in the effort to correct a wrong, the pendulum has swung too far the other direction. A rule that was enacted to create opportunity is now taking opportunity away.
          Last edited by BlueBlood; 03-27-2017, 07:20 AM. Reason: reduced comments. no need to overly rehash the negative impacts of Title IX

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
            Agreed. No problem at all with a female commissioner. Wish her all the success in the world.

Agreed. I think the initial intent of Title IX was good (and there was an undeniable historical lack of opportunity for women athletes). However, in the effort to correct a wrong, the pendulum has swung too far the other direction. A rule that was enacted to create opportunity is now taking opportunity away.
            How is that? How does Title IX take anything from the men. KWC has a football team, and the women have a volleyball team
            and a woman's tennis team. The football team brings in at least 3 times more men players with just football than wlThe men's baseball team at KWV
            wice as the softball team.
            Last edited by alumnifan; 03-28-2017, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
              How is that? How does Title IX take anything from the men. KWC has a football team, and the women have a volleyball team
              and a woman's tennis team. The football team brings in at least 3 times more men players with just football than wlThe men's baseball team at KWV
              wice as the softball team.
              You need to count scholarships, not players.

I support Title IX, but admit that it has negative impacts

Comment

Originally posted by ABjo View Post
                I support Title IX, but admit that it has negative impacts
                I have no issues at all with Title IX (as written). The actual law seems straight-forward and non-controversial to me. My issue is actually with the DOE's direct proportionality rule, which is a pure math quota system that does not take into account student interest-level/demand (in general, I dislike all quota systems). It is this rule that has led to the demise of Wrestling and Baseball teams - not Title IX itself.

I'll leave it at that. We've gotten really far off track (a bunch of G-MAC poster talking about Title IX on a GLIAC thread that is supposed to be about a new commissioner). Sorry about the hijack. Back to the G-MAC threads I will go.

Best wishes to the GLIAC and its new commissioner.
                Last edited by BlueBlood; 03-29-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X